Hunk o' hunk o' burning silicone!

Check it out: my laptop is running hot. I mean HOT. So hot, in fact, that at times, it's almost too hot to touch. This is a relatively new phenomena...as in, the last couple of weeks. I have it sitting on a cooler pad, but that doesn't seem to be working, and I can't figure out why. So, first, what could be causing the sudden spike in temperature? Second, what can I do about it, before my system self-destructs? Third, is there such a thing as a bare-bones, liquid cooled, laptop kit, so I can build a new laptop that will actually keep itself cool? And if so, where in the world can I get such a miraculous thing?

Pull it apart clean all heatsyncs check thermal pads replace tim.

+1

Make sure its as clean inside as possible. Dust blocking heat dissipation is probably the problem. If you can replace the TIM on your CPU, that should help a great deal, and lengthen its lifespan.

Edited by 90sgamer

Thermal Interface Material. It's the (usually grey) goop that they spread between a chip and its heatsink to facilitate better thermal transfer. Over time it can dry out and separate from either, causing temperatures to skyrocket.