New to Water Cooling - Need Help with Gaming PC

Curlyp

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got 4 sickle fans.

Im not happy with them at all. They are rated for 19db..... they are not. They are louder then that, you can hear them very clearly winding away. I was not happy with this at all.

ALSO one of them has started to fail. You can hear the humming of the bearing. It is almost a year old now so i have to send it away for warranty quick. :nyea:

But guys you forget 1 crucial fact about water cooling ram......... it looks cool. :lol:

I agree with stonerboy though. If you were to use the money, it would be much wiser spent on cooling your mobo.

By the way.... please tell me you assembled all the parts and pushed your CPU to 4.8 Ghz on a good air cooler before you went down this crazy water cooling path? It would have been a waste for all this WC stuff if your chip doesn't OC very well. :)

I will add the motherboard water block once it has been released. According to someone on the EVGA forums, EK is in the process of making it. Hopefully soon it will be release. :biggrin:

I have not assembled anything but the case, thus far. My last shipment of water cooling items should be delivered today. Then I will work on it this weekend. :) The CPU was one of the last parts I bought and I am glad I waited. I was able to pick it up for $289.00 compared to $359.00. My main concern was getting the motherboard and the GPU from EVGA before anything. EVGA was out of stock on both, so I had to "camp" the website daily. :D

I got 4 sickle fans.

Im not happy with them at all. They are rated for 19db..... they are not. They are louder then that, you can hear them very clearly winding away. I was not happy with this at all.

ALSO one of them has started to fail. You can hear the humming of the bearing. It is almost a year old now so i have to send it away for warranty quick. :nyea:

They do 19db at 6v :lol:

They word their specs in such a way as it becomes as low as 19db and as high as 80cfm it's all bs that sells the fans.

The build looks good with the additions from stoner, waco and tjj.

As for fans, considering the amount of room you have in that case i would go for Yate loon 38mm thick fans, they are cheap (less than half the price of GT), have crazy static pressure (due to their thickness) and are quiet. I got some and they push crazy amounts of air.

As for fans, considering the amount of room you have in that case i would go for Yate loon 38mm thick fans, they are cheap (less than half the price of GT), have crazy static pressure (due to their thickness) and are quiet. I got some and they push crazy amounts of air.

I second the Yate Loons. I used to run some crazy 38mm fans from Nidec on my radiator but they weren't designed to be quiet (they are well over 150 CFM at full speed and will take a finger off no problem). I swapped them out for 12 Yate Loon low speed 25mm fans and couldn't be happier with the cooling performance and quietness. Even with 12 of them cranking the only noise I hear from my computer is the sound of air movement. No blade noise, no motor noise, etc.

The 38mm fans from Yate are even better from what I've heard. I wouldn't hesitate to get them over pretty much anything else if you've got the room...and you clearly do. :P

The only issue with plating would be if aluminum was used in a part of the loop. IIRC, nickel and aluminum don't mix well and cause corrosion. *EDIT* Well, bad nickel plating could cause corrosion as well, but most times the nickel plating is alright.

I wouldn't bother watercooling the motherboard or ram, very little gains for how much time and money it costs.

I also recommend Yate Loons or Gentle Typhoons. GT's are better, but also cost a lot more. Yate Loons are the best low cost radiator fans out there.

Other than that looks good.

Edited by TraptPatriot

The build looks good with the additions from stoner, waco and tjj.

I second the Yate Loons. I used to run some crazy 38mm fans from Nidec on my radiator but they weren't designed to be quiet (they are well over 150 CFM at full speed and will take a finger off no problem). I swapped them out for 12 Yate Loon low speed 25mm fans and couldn't be happier with the cooling performance and quietness. Even with 12 of them cranking the only noise I hear from my computer is the sound of air movement. No blade noise, no motor noise, etc.

The 38mm fans from Yate are even better from what I've heard. I wouldn't hesitate to get them over pretty much anything else if you've got the room...and you clearly do. :P

Thank you both for the suggestion on the Yate fans. :thx:

Just to make sure I am getting the right Yate Fan, is this it? The price is only $6.99 x 26 = $181.74. Not bad. :) I can scrap my Cool Master SickleFlow Red LED theme and insert a Red LED bar instead. I do have one requesting regarding the specifications below:

Technical data:

Dimensions: 120x120x38mm

Rated Voltage: 12V DC

Voltage Range: 6.5V - 13.2V DC

Speed: 1350 rpm +/- 10%

Airflow: 41 CFM

Noise level: 22dB(A) MAX 29dB(A)

Corners: Open

Bearing: Sleeve

Connector: 3pin and 4pin Molex

Frame and Fan Color: Black

LEDS: None

The fan speed is only 1350 RPM compared to 2000 RPM, noise level is higher, and the Airflow is lower. I am guess that the thicker blade compensates for the lower RPM which is able to provide more airflow?

The Yate Loon fans are actually rated properly/correctly. I have a few of the Sickleflow fans and I hate them. :lol: They're loud, have a weird hum/drone, and they don't really move all that much air with any kind of restriction in front of them.

I have the 25mm 1350 RPM fans and they move as much, if not more, air than the CM fans.

After further thought there have been quite a few rumors of "fake" knockoff Yate Loons being sold with lower quality parts. Those 38mm fans might actually be a bit suspect. Petra's Tech Shop is the only dealer that orders fans directly from Yate Loon, so I'd trust them first. They don't sell any 38mm Yates...so that may be a sign to stay away from them.

That said, you can get 4 for $20 for the low or medium speed 25mm fans from Petra's. The high speed fans are $5.99 a shot. I've ordered from them in the past (it's where I bought my low speed fans) and they are top-notch!

http://www.petrastechshop.com/120x25mmfans.html

I know we're making this complicated. :lol:

The Yate Loon fans are actually rated properly/correctly. I have a few of the Sickleflow fans and I hate them. :lol: They're loud, have a weird hum/drone, and they don't really move all that much air with any kind of restriction in front of them.

I have the 25mm 1350 RPM fans and they move as much, if not more, air than the CM fans.

After further thought there have been quite a few rumors of "fake" knockoff Yate Loons being sold with lower quality parts. Those 38mm fans might actually be a bit suspect. Petra's Tech Shop is the only dealer that orders fans directly from Yate Loon, so I'd trust them first. They don't sell any 38mm Yates...so that may be a sign to stay away from them.

That said, you can get 4 for $20 for the low or medium speed 25mm fans from Petra's. The high speed fans are $5.99 a shot. I've ordered from them in the past (it's where I bought my low speed fans) and they are top-notch!

http://www.petrastechshop.com/120x25mmfans.html

I know we're making this complicated. :lol:

Thanks for the heads up. I will look at the 25mm fans from Petra's. Muchoman1 got me excited about the 38mm fans! :lol: Oh well, if the 25mm still perform as well as the 38mm, then I guess there would be no difference, or if there is it would be minimal.

I would say your trying to educated me rather than making it complicated. :lol:

**Edited** I just found these Yate Loon 120mm x 38 mm fans on FronzenCPU. I ordered some on my water cooling parts from them and they seem legit. What do you think?

Edited by Curlyp