Overclocking i7-2700k

Once Again i'm here, looking for help in this page that helped me a lot building my new PC, i finally have it!. Before i start i'd like to say that my english is not that good but i'll do my best

Ok so i just want to understand how my CPU works and im trying to Overclock

Mobo: Asus p8z77-v PRO

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700k

Cooler: Corsair H100

PSU: Corsair 600w

Video card: GTX 560TI

I updated everything, bios, drivers everything and it's Awesome so far, i only have 5 days with the PC and i'm reading a lot of overclocking but it's a lot to know...

i set my BIOS in tweaker to X.M.P that optimizes my CPU and set

BCLK: 100mhz

Multplier: x43

Turbo: By All Cores

so apprently is 4.3Ghz wich is good, but I dont know wich Voltage should have.. when i start up my pc i open CPU-Z and i see 4300mhz but in a matter of seconds it changes to 1600mhz and the mult to x16 and SOMETIMES it bounce between x16-x43 why?? am i doing something wrong?

i do not want to OC a lot cuz im scared of dmging the CPU, since its 3.5ghz normally i want it in 4.3ghz. but im scared cuz i havent set up voltage or RAM

i'd appreciate if someone could help me. on internet there are a LOT of guides but they explain it assuming that everyone know what they are doing. ME<<< 1st Desktop computer, 1st build

i have only used laptops before..

Thanks and im sorry my english.

With the corsair H100 you should be pushing 4.8 ghz.

First thing you want to do is download prime 95, Core temp, and maybe intel burn test.

Next, go into your BIOS and switch your XMP profile to manual. From there try bumping your multiplier up to 4.7 with 1.35v for the CPU. Boot up and test the overclock by using prime 95. If it is unstable, then just up the voltage a bit until you achieve a stable overclock. If you get a stable overclock and your CPU temps are still low, you could always try to go to 4.8 ghz or even all the way up to 5 ghz.

Here is a good guide for you http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review

Don't worry about the clock and voltage fluctuations. That is by design. Since most of your BIOS settings are at default (except for those things changed by the XMP profile) all of your power and energy saving features are enabled such as c-states, turbo, eist etc. And that is perfectly OK. I'm surprised that the XMP profile changed your cpu frequency so much though as most XMP profiles try to get the memory running per the XMP programmed speeds and voltage and usually do their best to keep the cpu speed at as close to stock frequency as possible.

My only concern using XMP or most any Auto setting when overclocking is that those Auto settings tend to overvolt in exchange for semi-guaranteed stability. You might (and might is the key word here) consider disabling the XMP profile, reloading the BIOS default values and use Asus' TurboV software suite to get an idea of what overclock is stable within the Windows environment. Once TurboV has done it's thing you can manually verify or hard set the same parameters in the BIOS manually and that will give you a starting point.

Otherwise, getting 4.3Ghz stable with the simple application of the XMP profile isn't bad, not bad at all. If you are using stock cooling you might want to just stop there and call it good. If you choose to go that route though I'd double check your cpu voltage under load and find out what the BIOS has auto set it at. I'm guessing it's probably in the range of 1.34 - 1.36v which is a little high. Most 2700K processors can do 4.3Ghz at 1.26 to 1.32v easily.

Edited by wevsspot

With the corsair H100 you should be pushing 4.8 ghz.

First thing you want to do is download prime 95, Core temp, and maybe intel burn test.

Next, go into your BIOS and switch your XMP profile to manual. From there try bumping your multiplier up to 4.7 with 1.35v for the CPU. Boot up and test the overclock by using prime 95. If it is unstable, then just up the voltage a bit until you achieve a stable overclock. If you get a stable overclock and your CPU temps are still low, you could always try to go to 4.8 ghz or even all the way up to 5 ghz.

Here is a good guide for you http://www.overclock.net/t/910467/the-ultimate-sandy-bridge-oc-guide-p67a-ud7-performance-review

OCing to 4.8 wont damage my cpu? isn't that too much? i mean i just use my PC for games a lot and MP lab on my university

i haven't enjoyed my PC because i want to set it perfect for everything before i start playing :D

if 4.8 its all good and wont damage my cpu in time ill do it.. So ill just put mult in x48 and cpu voltage in 1.35 and then run the tests

Anything i need to know about those programs any optimal configuration?

Andres - few experienced clockers would recommend that you do an almost 1Ghz overclock from stock right off the bat. Once you've had extensive experience overclocking a particular platform you can make some assumptions and skip the "baby step" method, and get a reasonable starting point by researching what most others get on similar hardware.

There are many many many 2700Ks that will run 4.8Ghz stable 24/7 and that will last for years (or until you're ready for your next upgrade anyway). So the short answer whether 4.8Ghz will ruin your processor = no The short answer whether 1.35v will ruin your processor = no. But there is a lot that can go wrong getting to that point. And there are three distinct ways to achieve your overclock;

1. Hard set in BIOS - test - adjust - retest

2. XMP Profile - test

3. TurboV - test

And, if you decide to go the hard set route you must decide whether you are going to go with manual voltage setting or offset voltage setting. Keeping in mind that if you go with manual voltage setting your processor will always run at the static voltage set in your BIOS - so no energy saving or heat reduction when PC is sitting idle.

Like any other member that comes here looking for overclocking advice I'll repeat what I tell everyone; read, read some more, research, research some more. There are many o/c guides available online for the P67/Z68/Z77 platform. Read them all, because methodology is very similar among those platforms. Online support and technical resources are especially plentiful for anything Asus. In the long run it's important to understand how to overclock properly, the risks involved and how to measure for quantifiable improvements in system performance as a result of overclocking.

If you learn the right way to overclock it can dispel many myths about the "dark art" and might also make you a little more confident / less concerned when you actually start overclocking.

While I try to avoid redirects (as OCC IS my home forum) here is a guide to get you started. The author is an Ace on overclocking and other hardware secrets on the P67, Z68, Z77 platforms;

http://www.overclock...uide-at-the-end

Edit to Add El_Capitan's 2500k/2600k overclocking guide;

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=181398&st=0&p=1880662&&do=findComment&comment=1880662

Edited by wevsspot

Andres - few experienced clockers would recommend that you do an almost 1Ghz overclock from stock right off the bat. Once you've had extensive experience overclocking a particular platform you can make some assumptions and skip the "baby step" method, and get a reasonable starting point by researching what most others get on similar hardware.

There are many many many 2700Ks that will run 4.8Ghz stable 24/7 and that will last for years (or until you're ready for your next upgrade anyway). So the short answer whether 4.8Ghz will ruin your processor = no The short answer whether 1.35v will ruin your processor = no But there is a lot that can go wrong getting to that point. And there are three distinct ways to achieve your overclock;

1. Hard set in BIOS - test - adjust - retest

2. XMP Profile - test

3. TurboV - test

And, if you decide to go the hard set route you must decide whether you are going to go with manual voltage setting or offset voltage setting. Keeping in mind that if you go with manual voltage setting your processor will always run at the static voltage set in your BIOS - so no energy saving or heat reduction when PC is sitting idle.

Like any other member that comes here looking for overclocking advice I'll repeat what I tell everyone; read, read some more, research, research some more. There are many o/c guides available online for the P67/Z68/Z77 platform. Read them all, because methodology is very similar among those platforms. Online support and technical resources are especially plentiful for anything Asus. In the long run it's important to understand how to overclock properly, the risks involved and how to measure for quantifiable improvements in system performance as a result of overclocking.

If you learn the right way to overclock it can dispel many myths about the "dark art" and might also make you a little more confident / less concerned when you actually start overclocking.

While I try to avoid redirects (as OCC IS my home forum) here is a guide to get you started. The author is an Ace on overclocking and other hardware secrets on the P67, Z68, Z77 platforms;

http://www.overclock.net/t/1247413/ivy-bridge-overclocking-guide-with-ln2-guide-at-the-end

Thanks a lot ill keep researching of course.

There's a guide to overclocking in my sig. I'm sure a Z77 motherboard is still a lot like a P67 and Z68.

At any rate, I've been running with custom watercooled solutions for my i7 2600K/2700K's for months and years at 4.9GHz. No issues running them long-term with Vcore at 1.420V's to 1.475V's. I would guess running DRAM voltage at higher than 1.55V's and Core Temps higher than 80C would do more harm.

Edited by El_Capitan