Making a scrapped subwoofer work with PC

sack_patrol

I found a subwoofer down by the garbage today and although I don't really need one, I was tempted to bring it in and see if it worked or not. I've never had one before so I don't know much about wiring and cables with these things. It's a KOSS S904 subwoofer. Seems like a cheap piece of equipment that was once part of a whole system with speakers n stuff (they weren't by the garbage with the woofer so I don't have them). From what I can tell it has a single RCA cable that is the same at both ends. Doesn't work with my PC obviously, so I'm wondering if someone knows any ways to connect it to the PC and see if it works or not.

You need a headphone to RCA audio jack to connect directly to your PC. example

211-325.jpg

I use a headphone splitter to 1. Left channel RCA Splitter to one speaker and one sub channel and 2. right channel RCA Splitter to one speaker and the other sub channel.

Edited by Black64

That's because it's mono. If your onboard sound (or sound card) has a jack for center/subwoofer output you just need to figure out if the left or the right RCA would be carrying the subwoofer line-out. It's just plug and play at that point (the center output would be connected to nothing).

Yes I have a jack labled as "Center Speaker/Subwoofer".

Since I don't even know if this thing is functional or not, can I get one of these cables from a radio shack or something for cheap and then return it in case it doesn't work?

Also, what exactly am I looking for (the name)? RCA to 3.5mm cable?

thx.

Yes, and yes. Just make sure you specify male-to-male connection. Radio Shack is usually the way to go. I'm a little fuzzy on their return policies, but if you keep all the packaging and receipt, you should have no problem returning the item.

Yes, and yes. Just make sure you specify male-to-male connection. Radio Shack is usually the way to go. I'm a little fuzzy on their return policies, but if you keep all the packaging and receipt, you should have no problem returning the item.

This.

3.5mm stereo mini-phono jack to stereo RCA male.

I hooked up a speaker box I had made to my sound card quite a few years ago when I still had the speaker box with that cable. I purchased the cable at the dollar store. The speaker box was not amplified as that sub is, so the sub will sound louder.