[Solved] Opinions on my build

Gudafa

Hello everybody!

I'm a first-time builder and my goal is a somewhat high-end gaming system for at least such current games as Battlefield 3 and Skyrim. After a few days of googling and pondering, I have put up a list of parts and I would like your opinions and advice on it!

Without further ado, the parts are...

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 (59.90€ / $76)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX (119€ / $151)

CPU: Intel i5-3570k (226€ / $287)

GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II (429€ / $546) (drool... :teehee: )

PSU: Corsair AX650W (139.90€ / $178)

RAM: Kingston HyperX 2x4GB @ 1600MHz (49€ / $62)

HDD: Seagate 2TB Barracuda, SATA III, 7200rpm, 64MB (112€ / $142)

DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST (21.90€ / $28)

TOTAL: 1265.70€ / $1610

The euro prices are exact; the prices in dollars were converted with google for reference. Keep in mind though, that the prices here (Finland) are usually more than in the USA, for example...

Although I won't be overlocking (perhaps I should have used a different forum then, heh), I was thinking of replacing the stock CPU cooler (although no mention of it, I THINK it comes with the processor...), possibly with Cooler Master's Hyper 212 EVO (30.90€ / $39).

Oh, also, my budget... I could possibly manage with max. 1400€ / $1780, but I'd prefer to keep it under 1300€ / $1654...

I would have liked a SSD, but ... Perhaps I could change the HDD to a smaller version, like the same I have listed, but in a 500GB version saving 42€ / $53 and buy more space later. However, the 500GB version has a 16MB cache (vs. 64MB on the other), would that have much effect if it would be used for mostly storage of media? Now browsing, I see 2.5" and 3.5" sized SSDs, but it seems this particular case would only fit the 3.5" ones, unless there are some adapters like in Kingston's 120GB HyperX 3K SSD (€149 / $190) there seems to be...

Well, it seems I had more questions than I thought... Any input would be immensely appreciated!

Edited by Gudafa

Welcome to OCC!

Have you considered switching the processor to one of the Sandy Bridge models to shave some coin off the price? An i5-2500K is still very capable and should be able to save you some money.

I would recommend a smaller HDD or SSD to have Windows on and then use the 2TB as storage for games, music, etc. That way you'll have fast boot times and a ton of extra space. However, unless you go for a 60GB SSD, you will more than likely be over budget. If you do get an SSD, plenty of them include an adapter to fit into a 3.5" drive bay. The Fractal Design case you picked should be able to fit a 2.5" SSD without an adapter however, as the HDD bays are listed as compatible with them.

Hey!

I actually did look into the Sandy Bridge models, but for example the i5-2500k I can find at cheapest for 205.90€ / $262, which is kind of weird and not too comforting.

SSD actually became a possibility now. I'll be buying a smaller, mechanical HDD like Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 16 MB 7200 RPM (69.90€ / $89) and a SSD. It seems that the Samsung 128GB 830 Series SSD would be a fine drive. That in turn is priced at 121.90€ / $155 as a bulk version, and 154.90€ / $197 as retail. I guess I would have to buy the retail version (or rather "desktop kit") because it comes with the 3.5" adapter and SATA cables and whatnot.

Although... Now reading the case's specifications for the thousandth time, I noticed a little "...compatible with SSD" text at the end... Oh well, I did find adapters for like 10€, so that probably won't be problem.

Edited by Gudafa

Can you tell us your total budget, the website you're going to buy from so we can help you choose the best parts for your build.

For now:

It's better to get an SSD if you could afford one.

I'm not sure if the case would provide optimal airflow.

If you're not overclocking, I'd suggest you get an i5 2400 instead. You're wasting your money on a K SKU if you're not gonna use them.

If you're planning on overclocking in the future, you might want to get a higher end board. Nothing wrong with the one you've chosen but the higher end boards generally provide better overclocking potential. If you can't due to limited budget, get an i3 2100 + something like the ASUS P8Z77-V PRO or Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H (or the Z68 variants for a lower price. There's virtually no difference in performance between Z68 and Z77) then save your money for the i5 2500K/3570K. The i3 2100 is perfectly capable for gaming since games stresses on GPU power.

No need for the AX650W. Although the 80+ gold might help you since you're living in Finland (from what I've observed, Europeans tend to try and save electricity bills more than US or Asia. Not insult intended) But it would take a long time until the 'efficiency gained' in your electricity bill covers up for the Price premium of the AX650. IMO save your money and get the TX650V2 80+ Bronze instead. The money saved can be used to get other products like SSDs.

:cheers:

Edited by vandreadstriker

If you want to go really high end id get a better psu so you could sli in the future.

Lol, no need. The GTX 670 on its own is pretty powerful and will play games pretty well for while :thumbsup:

Come down from a IB chip to an SB chip. The i5 2400 would be a much better choice if you want to play games. Use the money to buy an SSD. Of course I am saying nothing new. The one thing I would like to add would be more RAM.

A week ago I saw a video about creating a ram drive. It did not seem like much at the time, but there is almost an explosion of excitement about it, and it might be something you would be interested in. In essence you would be putting 16 GB of ram in your PC and using 8 of it for your normal computer needs, and the other 8 GB for a game cache folder.

I tested it out by making a 24 GB RAM drive on my computer (3x8GB dimms at 1600 Mhz) and put skyrim on it and HOLY CRAP. There were no loading screens. NONE. If you are truly into gaming, I would try and squeeze a whole bunch of ram on your computer and see what you can do. :cheers:

Thank you all for the replies!

I've updated the components based on your replies and other factors.

The budget is around 1300€ ($1655), I can go both sides, but under 1400€ ($1780) is quite a must.

Also, I'm ordering from here, Finland, from the following two websites: Verkkokauppa and Jimm's. The websites are linked in parentheses as (1) and (2), respectively, after the component names.

(Changes underlined)

Case: Fractal Design Core 3000 (59.90€ / $76) (1)

Motherboard: Asus P8Z77-V LX (119€ / $151) (2)

CPU: Intel i5-3570k (226€ / $287) (2)

GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCU II (429€ / $546) (2)

PSU: Corsair TX650W (92.90€ / $118) (1)

RAM: G.Skill 8GB Dual Kit Ripjaws X (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz, 1.5V (48.90€ / $62) (2)

HDD: Seagate Barracuda 500 GB 16 MB 7200 RPM (69.90€ / $89) (1)

SSD: Samsung 830 Series 128GB SSD (121.90€ / $155) (1)

DVD Drive: Asus DRW-24B5ST (21.90€ / $28) (1)

Total: 1298.40€ / $1655

If I need / can / want, I will order the aftermarket CPU cooler later (the Cooler Master EVO 212 mentioned).

I won't probably overclock, at least not much. Still, changing the processor and motherboard to sandy bridge models would save "only" about 20€, maybe 30€ ($25 - $38), but I'll keep looking into that.

And the RAM, definitely interesting technology, but for now I'll just stick to my 8GB. :teehee:

Oh and I'm also considering changing the case, to for example Cooler Master HAF 912 (82.90€ / $106 @ (1)).

Edited by Gudafa