i7 920 overclock

I've just overclocked my i7 920 D0 from stock to 3.8 GHz (21x180) on a Gygabyte X58 UD3R

voltages: vcore = 1.225, qpi = 1.335, dimmv = 1.66

temps : max 75 degrees C

Here's my problem: i turned turbo boost off in bios, yet CPU-Z shows it is on (bios settings are 20x180 while RealTemp and CPU-Z shows 21x180); also voltage is way off.

When i turn on prime95, CPU-Z will show me I'm running at 3.8 GHz with 1.184 vcore(1.184 while running prime95 and weirdly 1.2 while idle) when i clearly set voltage at 1.225 and multiplier at 20x not 21x. 1 hour into prime95 and no crash so it seems stable, though.

EIST, C1E and Turbo have been shut off and LLC has been enabled.

Anyone else run into problems like these?

Edit: it's and i7 920 D0 more specifically

Edited by Rofltroll

The voltage difference is normal. It's vDroop. You don't need to worry about it, especially if your system is stable.

As for the 21 multi. You might as well just go ahead and set that in the BIOS anyway. Those chips prefer odd multipliers anyway. :)

The voltage difference is normal. It's vDroop. You don't need to worry about it, especially if your system is stable.

As for the 21 multi. You might as well just go ahead and set that in the BIOS anyway. Those chips prefer odd multipliers anyway. :)

Can't set it to 21 manually since max is 20 on my board for some reason. The only way to get 21x on my board is via Turbo which,as I said, is off. And I also mentioned that LLC is enabled which gets rid of vdroop.

That setting crashed after 15 minutes of Blend anyway, so i've reverted to 3.4 (19x180) lowered both vcore and qtt with 71 degrees Celsius max temps. I am aware that a bit of boost in voltage might have gotten me a stable 3.8 but I prefer lower voltage for the chip's lifecycle sake.

And to be clear about something: I'm not concerned, I am just curious why readings in windows are so different from Bios. :lol:

edit: last sentenced made me sound a little pretentious so i added a smiley next to it. :D

Edited by Rofltroll

LLC just limits vDroop you will still see some.

What version of CPUz are you using. I'm not sure why it would show the 21 multi if turbo is disabled.

Other than that. The BIOS readings are when the system is completely idle, so you'll get different readings in windows. (At idle and load)

Latest CPU-Z installed. This configuration i have now seems fine, though (19*180). It actually displays 19 * 180. I've noticed even multipliers are not even possible on my particular chip. All the tests were done at 19x only, exception being the 3.8 GHz one where it just jumped from 20 to 21. I've tried it with other FSBs and it just goes to 21x regardless of turbo. :dunno:

I've just overclocked my i7 920 D0 from stock to 3.8 GHz (21x180) on a Gygabyte X58 UD3R

voltages: vcore = 1.225, qpi = 1.335, dimmv = 1.66

temps : max 75 degrees C

Here's my problem: i turned turbo boost off in bios, yet CPU-Z shows it is on (bios settings are 20x180 while RealTemp and CPU-Z shows 21x180); also voltage is way off.

When i turn on prime95, CPU-Z will show me I'm running at 3.8 GHz with 1.184 vcore(1.184 while running prime95 and weirdly 1.2 while idle) when i clearly set voltage at 1.225 and multiplier at 20x not 21x. 1 hour into prime95 and no crash so it seems stable, though.

EIST, C1E and Turbo have been shut off and LLC has been enabled.

Anyone else run into problems like these?

Edit: it's and i7 920 D0 more specifically

If your temps max are 75, you are pretty much at the limit without better cooling.

I eventually went for(19*180) 3.4 GHz @ 1.2 Vcore, 1.295 Qtt and 1.64 dimm voltage, Turbo off. Max temps were 71 degrees after 18 hours of prime95. It got to 73 but that's when i realized that i forgot the heating on in my house :lol:

I am comfortable with these voltages and am going to try again tonight with turbo on at these settings ... next step is tightening the ram since , if i'm reading CPU-Z correctly,it has a CL of 10 @ 1440. The RAM I am using is OCZ Gold 4 GB in dual channel (I'll eventuall go triple channel but right now I'm sticking to what I got) I have absolutely no understanding of overclocking RAM or tightening the timings and was hoping i'd get some advice on that.

Appreciate all the posts so far :thx: