Need help - should I get Bulldozer ?

Nope, no back up. But really I don't have anything important on it.

Still real annoying if you have to reinstall everything, redownload games if you got steam. You would loose saves, music if it ain't backed up but if your happy with how it is that's up to you.

Still real annoying if you have to reinstall everything, redownload games if you got steam. You would loose saves, music if it ain't backed up but if your happy with how it is that's up to you.

No you're right. It's not really ideal....I would like to get an SSD system drive soon and then use the other 2 drives for storage.

I have an ASUS 990fx sabertooth running a 965 BE @ 4GHz. Obviously, since I have an AM3+, I've been contemplating the upgrade to an fx 8120 or 8150. My main concern is gaming performance -- from what I've read there seems to be mixed opinions on the performance of BD. If I got one I would def. OC it as much as possible, which at 4.5-4.7GHz I've seen some reports of it keeping up with a 2600k even when the intel is OC'd to a similar clock speed.

Other issue is I would need to upgrade my cooler from the H50 to the H100....and I have a 700w PSU which I think I might be maxing out on as it is. So $240 for the BD + $100 for the H100 + $150-200 for the PSU = :whoa:

It is worth it or should I just wait for PD?

Well I have good news and bad news for you, first the good news, it looks like you might get a chance to save some upgrade money for a while. The bad news, there looks to be no seriously worth the cost upgrade in the near future for you.

Bulldozer is a dud and unless you are doing a ton of rendering work it will actually be SLOWER than your current chip in most things even at stock speed. A lateral move to an i5 would net you a performance boost but not enough of a gaming experience boost to justify the cost.

Things are even less bright as we move forward. The rumor mill has Piledriver getting a nice boost but the boost will mean that it is faster than the Phenom II but likely only about on par performance wise with an i5. So again likely not really any gain worth the cost for gaming experience.

On the Intel side things are about the same, the Ivy Bridge looks to possibly give small bump, likely around 10% over the Sandybridge but that will be it at best again not a real compelling reason to upgrade. The only real bump from Ivybridge will come in the way of reduced power consumption and the onboard GPU, which most gamers will not care about.

So enjoy what you have and know you can save your nickles and dimes for at least another generation from all early reports.

• Like 2

Well I have good news and bad news for you, first the good news, it looks like you might get a chance to save some upgrade money for a while. The bad news, there looks to be no seriously worth the cost upgrade in the near future for you.

Bulldozer is a dud and unless you are doing a ton of rendering work it will actually be SLOWER than your current chip in most things even at stock speed. A lateral move to an i5 would net you a performance boost but not enough of a gaming experience boost to justify the cost.

Things are even less bright as we move forward. The rumor mill has Piledriver getting a nice boost but the boost will mean that it is faster than the Phenom II but likely only about on par performance wise with an i5. So again likely not really any gain worth the cost for gaming experience.

On the Intel side things are about the same, the Ivy Bridge looks to possibly give small bump, likely around 10% over the Sandybridge but that will be it at best again not a real compelling reason to upgrade. The only real bump from Ivybridge will come in the way of reduced power consumption and the onboard GPU, which most gamers will not care about.

So enjoy what you have and know you can save your nickles and dimes for at least another generation from all early reports.

:doh:

Well that's depressing....guess I'll focus on getting an SSD for now and see what comes in the future as far as processors go.