What's these supercharge orange colored USB ports on bitfenix case

Laststop

I saw some orange colored usb port on a bitfenix case and it was called supercharge port or something. Basically it's supposed to charge usb devices at max speed just like an AC adapter version would. It is also supposed to work as a charger ever if the computer is off.

What I'm wondering is, is this orange supercharge usb port rated at 2.0 speeds or 3.0 speeds AND do you need a special mobo connector for it to charge at the max power and allow power to flow while comp is off?

So the orange supercharge usb ports dont need any special mobo to control them?

How do they charge components faster than regular usb ports and how do they let you charge electronics with the computer off cause regular usb ports dont allow that. The motherboard doesnt need a special connector to allow this?

Can you tell me of some examples of which mobo's support this? This would be a really useful feature for me

Msi have a super charge feature which decreases current limitations a little although its only on the heh headers at the back as far as I know. I know not if it works with the mobo headers.

And only for Intel mobos... that I've seen :P

The case might need two or 3 USB headers and have a resistor....

Wikipedia

USB 3.0

magnify-clip.pngThe Super-Speed USB Logo

Main article: USB 3.0

• USB 3.0 was released in November 2008. The standard specifies a maximum transmission speed of up to 5 Gbit/s (625 MB/s), which is more than 10 times as fast as USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/s, or 60 MB/s), although this speed is typically only achieved using powerful professional grade or developmental equipment. USB 3.0 reduces the time required for data transmission, reduces power consumption, and is backward compatible with USB 2.0. The USB 3.0 Promoter Group announced on 17 November 2008 that the specification of version 3.0 had been completed and had made the transition to the USB Implementers Forum (USB-IF), the managing body of USB specifications.[11] This move effectively opened the specification to hardware developers for implementation in future products. A new feature is the "SuperSpeed" bus, which provides a fourth transfer mode at 5.0 Gbit/s. The raw throughput is 4 Gbit/s (using 8b/10b encoding), and the specification considers it reasonable to achieve around 3.2 Gbit/s (0.4 GB/s or 400 MB/s), increasing as hardware advances in the future take hold. Two-way communication is also possible. In USB 3.0, full-duplex communications are done when using SuperSpeed (USB 3.0) transfer. In previous USB versions (i.e., 1.x or 2.0), all communication is half-duplex and directionally controlled by the host.
    • Battery Charging Specification 1.2[10]: Released in December 2010.
      Several changes and increasing limits including allowing 1.5A on charging ports for unconfigured devices, allowing High Speed communication while having a current up to 1.5A and allowing a maximum current of 5A.

... Other places say .9 amp..

http://hardforum.com...d.php?t=1605622 Gut there suggests that the Header on a mobo has max 2Amps per header...

The ones on the Mobo need software to run... probably the case one too...

Edited by Dan The Gamer

Msi have a super charge feature which decreases current limitations a little although its only on the heh headers at the back as far as I know. I know not if it works with the mobo headers.

Gigabyte, MSI and ASUS all have this ability. It is not isolated tot he back headers any longer. Look at any of the latest intel boards on the manufacturers sites for a complete description.

So is it labeled on the motherboards which header the supercharge port needs to be plugged in to charge at max voltage and with comp turned off?

If it just automatically does that with all ports then why have a specially colored supercharge port?

Still doesn't seem like anyone can give a complete explanation.

It is in a large part just another selling point.

All the info you need will be in manuals (I haven't read mine :lol: )

With the two MSI boards in my house ATM it requires a utility to be installed to use the super charging.

I haven't installed it and don't use it because I have a couple of USB charges plugged into the power board laying on the floor and they serve me fine.

My 32GB Sony X series Walkman has a proprietary connector on the device and I only have a USB cable to charge it. So having the ability to get it the full charging power and for it to charge it even with the computer off would be a really nice help to me. Do you think any of the IVB mini ITX board will enable the supercharge port to give full voltage and work with the computer shut down?

My 32GB Sony X series Walkman has a proprietary connector on the device and I only have a USB cable to charge it. So having the ability to get it the full charging power and for it to charge it even with the computer off would be a really nice help to me. Do you think any of the IVB mini ITX board will enable the supercharge port to give full voltage and work with the computer shut down?

Did your Walkman not come with a USB adapter wall charger...