Watercooling question

Laststop

ok in a single loop setup do what is the best order to run things cpu first after the rad or gpu's first

Just make it use as little tubing as possible, as long as you have no kinks, no sharp bends, and use as little tubing as possible, the order doesn't matter.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

oh an im in the usa so shouldnt have problem gettin cheapest deals. Computer stuff is always way more expensive outside usa.

Would it be bad for me to attempt a dual loop on my first liquid cooling system

Well doing a single loop is no different than a dual loop, the only thing is you just double your risk of screwing something up.

Only thing I'd say is to just make sure you do it right the first time, go slow double triple check and just be careful and take your time is all.

ok in a single loop setup what is the best order to run things cpu first after the rad or gpu's first

Order does jack when you have a pump of the same quality and performance of the d5.

It is a closed water cooling loop and the temps will just level out to within a less than a degree in the loop.

Waco was kind enough to prove this with an OC CPU and quad GPUs he put one sensor after all the rads and one sensor after CPU and GPUs and his results showed less than a degree in difference.

Your best bet is just keeping loop size down so it will probably be for you rad - CPU - GPU - GPU - pump/res - rad again. Because inside the case it is the simplest set up.

I'm actually excited a bit. I get to build a liquid cooling system and use someone elses money and make all my learning mistakes without my money on the line :P

It cant be that hard to properly secure the line

Edited by Laststop

I'm actually excited a bit. I get to build a liquid cooling system and use someone elses money and make all my learning mistakes without my money on the line :P

It cant be that hard to properly secure the line

Yup, I'm actually about to build my first water cooling setup this coming weekend. All I can say is I've poured over all my parts and setup dozens of times. Planned out everything as best I can without actually mocking up the loop.

Best advice I can give you just take your time and triple check everything best of luck! I know I'm excited for mine!

Are these special non conductive liquids you can buy worth it? Are they a lot safer to use? I could also get laboratory grade ultra pure de ionized water that doesnt conduct electricty because of its purity but I would think it would quickly pick up ions once exposed to the cooling system

Are these special non conductive liquids you can buy worth it? Are they a lot safer to use? I could also get laboratory grade ultra pure de ionized water that doesnt conduct electricty because of its purity but I would think it would quickly pick up ions once exposed to the cooling system

Distilled water is actually technically speaking very non-conductive as it has virtually no ions to conduct the electricity. It still can and will once it's picked up charged ions. As far as those fluids go im not really sure. I've read that they often times don't quite have as good of thermal dissipation as just regular old water, I've also read that those fluids (non water) can do funny things in a loop from turning milky to staining things etc.

I think the general consensus though is just used distilled water + a kill coil. I know I wont be using anything for additives in my system, just distilled water and a kill coil.

Generally speaking though water is actually a very poor conductor, even regular well or tap water is very poor. It'd take a lot more than 12 volts to bridge a gap even a millimeter, thats not to say it can't and in the right conditions im sure it will, but you'd have to have some pretty salty water or heavily ionized water to make it happen. Try taking a 12v battery in a bowl of water with two copper leads from both ends and you'll see that you really can't get a jump.

Edited by Gr4vitas

De -ionized water is the worst possible thing you could ever put in your system it will create lots of problems. I can explain further if you wish.

Stick with the tried and tested distilled water and silver kill coil. If at later stages you want to try things like pt-nuke or even mixing up your own biocides sure but for now you are best of with grabing a kill coil and just sticking with distilled water.