First Build

Shifty2105

No, you are out of luck man.

Just in case you think I am referring to that card because I think everyone can get the sale price, the answer is no. I like that card because it out performs the 560 ti by a hair and you can tri fire it. Not to mention you can get lucky and unlock it to a 6970.

I thought you were suggesting it because it was still on sale.

I bought my 6950 already--long before you posted the deal. Those are the exact reasons as to why I picked the 6950. Plus, if you unlock and overclock it with the MSI TFIII you can still achieve stability with the superior cooling.

Edited by PremiumAcc

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just go with the i5-2500K. You'll see little difference between both anyway, and the money you saved could probably be spent on something better for your rig. :thumbsup:

i'm going to hong kong in 2 days and i can get the i7 2600k for 300 AUD so i'm already saving a bit :)

I'd ditch the 2600K and get a 2500K + better board if I were you.. Probably the Asus P8Z68-V Pro or the Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4.

Also, you're better off ditching that sound card and get a quality headset instead. You don't need sound cards for gaming since a good 7.1 headset would set you on top.

The rest looked pretty solid except that I don't recommend buying a green HDD unless it's purely for data storage (no games or frequently seen movies).

Edit: How big is you're monitor? If it's not bigger then a 24" then I think you shouldn't bother getting a second card in SLI. You can still play today's game with High - Ultra settings with a single 560 Ti (With the exception of Metro2033 :fp: )

i was considering getting the gigabyte z68xp-u4 but most of its features are the same as the ud3

as for the sound card i'm a big fan of music and great audio so i want to keep that and the green hard drive is going to be a dedicated storage drive since i'm already filled a 1tb hdd and 2 320gb

i'm going to be running dual 24' monitors

i was considering getting the gigabyte z68xp-u4 but most of its features are the same as the ud3

as for the sound card i'm a big fan of music and great audio so i want to keep that and the green hard drive is going to be a dedicated storage drive since i'm already filled a 1tb hdd and 2 320gb

i'm going to be running dual 24' monitors

There's really nothing wrong wit nthe UD3 but I've read that the UD4 has a significantly higher potential for overclocking and since you're going to use a NH-D14, you'd want to get the best out of your CPU...

I can't be so sure about the Gigabyte board but I personally use the Asus P8Z68-V Pro and it's a great overclocking board with loads of feature.

Just to be sure, I don't think you can use nvidia surround on just 2 monitors... As I know, you'd either be running both screen for CAD and turn 1 off while gaming or get another 24".

I'd also suggest that you get a Corsair 850w PSU if you're going to run that many drives and SLI, just for a failsafe.

There's really nothing wrong wit nthe UD3 but I've read that the UD4 has a significantly higher potential for overclocking and since you're going to use a NH-D14, you'd want to get the best out of your CPU...

I can't be so sure about the Gigabyte board but I personally use the Asus P8Z68-V Pro and it's a great overclocking board with loads of feature.

Just to be sure, I don't think you can use nvidia surround on just 2 monitors... As I know, you'd either be running both screen for CAD and turn 1 off while gaming or get another 24".

I'd also suggest that you get a Corsair 850w PSU if you're going to run that many drives and SLI, just for a failsafe.

i don't think i'm going to overclock much when i first get the cpu but when new games and software come out that demands more from the cpu thats probably when i'll start to overclock, the noctua is just there waiting for that day :) (which hopefully considering the amount of money i'm spending wouldn't be for another few years)

as for the power supply i've already bought the antec true power so i'm not going to touch that. the 3 or 4 12v rails should be more than enough to power the graphics cards and the rest should do nicely. my main concern is the heat generated from the 2 gpu's and their proximity to the sound card but hopefully the 200mm side fan should take care of it

and about the 2 monitors, yes i'll be using 2 screens for cad. i currently have to keep switching between cinema 4d and photoshop so having 2 screen will make everything easier for me.

i don't think i'm going to overclock much when i first get the cpu but when new games and software come out that demands more from the cpu thats probably when i'll start to overclock, the noctua is just there waiting for that day :) (which hopefully considering the amount of money i'm spending wouldn't be for another few years)

as for the power supply i've already bought the antec true power so i'm not going to touch that. the 3 or 4 12v rails should be more than enough to power the graphics cards and the rest should do nicely. my main concern is the heat generated from the 2 gpu's and their proximity to the sound card but hopefully the 200mm side fan should take care of it

and about the 2 monitors, yes i'll be using 2 screens for cad. i currently have to keep switching between cinema 4d and photoshop so having 2 screen will make everything easier for me.

Then go with the hyper 212 evo. It will be quiet, and will still get you up to 4.5 to 4.7 ghz overclock. That way you at least save some money.

Then go with the hyper 212 evo. It will be quiet, and will still get you up to 4.5 to 4.7 ghz overclock. That way you at least save some money.

thanks, i think i will do that because i'm a bit over my budget right now

what would you think about the arctic cooling freezer 7 pro?

thats a bit cheaper than the evo 212

I only ask as a lot of time on board is superior enough -- even for a music lover...

i know most board these days feature higher quality sound and some even have inbuilt sound from thx and other great sound drivers but i believe the motherboard i am getting has neither

i know most board these days feature higher quality sound and some even have inbuilt sound from thx and other great sound drivers but i believe the motherboard i am getting has neither

know the feeling...my current board doesn't even support me anymore. :(