Need information about TEC Cooling

H3P

No its a brand new and top of the line amd single gpu card that beats out a gtx 580.

Again can you buy from frozencpu? As well s newegg?

I an guessing you can from the link to the case

Wait, why are you asking me this, lol? I'm in the U.S. if that's what you're wondering. I bought all the parts for 3 different computers I've built from NewEgg.

7950... last time I checked the benchmarks it's extremely a slow GPU. Just search for it...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

I can't even find a 7950 on NewEgg. That's below the 8x series. And the 8x series is like 3-4 years old. Well, whatever you're looking at, at least link me to it.

Wait, why are you asking me this, lol? I'm in the U.S. if that's what you're wondering. I bought all the parts for 3 different computers I've built from NewEgg.

7950... last time I checked the benchmarks it's extremely a slow GPU. Just search for it...

http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php

I can't even find a 7950 on NewEgg. That's below the 8x series. And the 8x series is like 3-4 years old. Well, whatever you're looking at, at least link me to it.

The 7950 isn't out yet, search HD 7950 anywhere and you will find out.

H3P, he is talking about the ATI HD7950

Oh you're talking about ATI not NVIDIA. That's... totally different. Well, I assume the 7950 is going to cost a ton of money. I wasn't looking to spend over 250 on a video card. I'm fine paying around 150-200.

Its getting properly released in days weeks tops. There are plenty reviews for the paper release of the 7970 and yes it shares the same numbers as an older gpu but it is most certainly not a slow pos.

A quick Google search will give you hundreds of responses which are not for a 4 year old card.

I ask because who knows where you are from. I myself am from Australia and there are people here from Britain, Argentina, Norway ect not just the US.

I can put together some build suggestions later wont bother now I am on the phone. I do suggest looking at the OCC review of the Coolermaster Cosmos II case as it would make a lovely case for your set up although price may be a bit steep.

Oh you're talking about ATI not NVIDIA. That's... totally different. Well, I assume the 7950 is going to cost a ton of money. I wasn't looking to spend over 250 on a video card. I'm fine paying around 150-200.

Well why not drop the TEC and go just water, the 1155 CPUs are pretty cold and good overclockers and dont need a TEC to comfortably squeeze out huge overclocks. The saved money can be used on A GPU that is multiple times better than the 550.

Much better way to spend the money imho.

Its getting properly released in days weeks tops. There are plenty reviews for the paper release of the 7970 and yes it shares the same numbers as an older gpu but it is most certainly not a slow pos.

A quick Google search will give you hundreds of responses which are not for a 4 year old card.

I ask because who knows where you are from. I myself am from Australia and there are people here from Britain, Argentina, Norway ect not just the US.

I can put together some build suggestions later wont bother now I am on the phone. I do suggest looking at the OCC review of the Coolermaster Cosmos II case as it would make a lovely case for your set up although price may be a bit steep.

Lol, no dude. We were on the topic of NVIDIA (or at least I thought so). You said to use a 7950. So I was thinking about the older NVIDIA series. I had no idea that they were releasing the 7x series for Radeon. I really don't follow up on much of that. So I can definitely say a 7950 will be ridiculously fast...

That's what I figured. I noticed my location is not present so you don't know where I'm from. I live in the states. So I can shop at NewEgg and probably FCPU, too.

Alright. Make suggestions. I'm curious to see what you send me. I figure $2k is a nice round budget. I don't want to go to far because I know I'll never be able to save that much. And, being only 18, I don't think I really should spend more than that much (even $2k is a ton to spend on a custom built). I've always wanted to build that "super computer" or ridiculous overkill PC. Something we'd all like to build I guess.

Well why not drop the TEC and go just water, the 1155 CPUs are pretty cold and good overclockers and dont need a TEC to comfortably squeeze out huge overclocks. The saved money can be used on A GPU that is multiple times better than the 550.

Much better way to spend the money imho.

Well, they did say it shouldn't be nearly as expensive as the previous series. I guess we'll see just how expensive the 7950's are.

I wanted to do watercooling/TEC because it looked interesting. Something I had never done before and I wanted to have experience doing it. It's not exactly because I totally need it. Hell, I'd probably always be fine with air cooling. I'm not a huge overclocker (although, if I had superior cooling, I probably would OC more often). Remember, the original intent for wanting this is because it was a really cool idea. And it'll look BA in a case (at least I think it will). It's purely for bragging rights :D even if technically I could get a better video card and etc. The TEC/watercooling really inspired the want for a new build.

Also, even if I did get the 7950, I doubt I'd ever use all its potential. Hell, I hardly use all of my 5770. So a small improvement to a 550ti (or whatever) is fine with me. It's also just to see a new build, have the enjoyment of putting together another PC, and getting to enjoy playing around with new hardware. I'd love to build these crazy and unique set ups all the time. Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury :S

Edited by H3P

CPU - i5 2500k - $220 or $180 if you can walk into a microcenter, the i7 2600 is $280 ($320 newegg) at microcenter is you want the hyperthreading.

Mobo - ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 - $125 don't cheap out too much on a mobo especially if you will overclock. The 8+4 phase power design on this board is perfect for SB overclocking. It also offers plenty of upgrade options into the future, including sli/cf gfx cards and ivy bridge CPU support, it is nice to be able to cheaply upgrade builds to keep up with current markets.

RAM - Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600Mhz - $35 memory is memory is memory, patriot is a good brand and unless you run very memory intensive applications going more than 1600mhz and 8gb is really throwing away money that is etter invested in something like an SSD

SSD - Corsair Force Series GT 120GB - $150 after MIR, if you are using an SSD as a boot drive i suggest going no lower than 120gb and this force gt is a great deal on a really fast sata 3 SSD.

HDD - If you can survive without it till things return to normal do so

PSU - PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 750W 80PLUS Silver - $120 after MIR, it is perfect just perfect will support upgreads do sli/cf in the future and it comes with a huge 7 year warrenty from a great PSU brand not to mention it comes with an 80+ Silver rating. If this was sold in Aus I would have bought it myself in a heartbeat.

So total so far is - $710 with the i7 2600k from microcenter and $750 from newegg. If you want to go 2500k then you will save $100

Now the case it will make a huge difference to what you can do with cooling.

The Storm Scout is pretty poor when it comes to that and in reality you can go with any case and add colored lights and fans.

Well gotta go, on work pc atm and heading home now, will get back to you with Cooling Stuff once a case is picked I can make suggestions later.

Then based on case price best GPU can be worked out too.

If you ditch the TEC you can get an additional $220 to spend on hardware which is a hell of a lot and if you put $100 of it to the GPU then you get a much better GPU than originally planned and then the other $120 can be for cooling possibly a waterblock for GPU and another rad.

• Like 1

Here is my idea for the case and cooling.

You said you were bored of the plain old blue and wanted to go red. Well how about ditching the black case too and getting this Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T - $160 after MIR the black edition is $145 after MIR.

Now the cooling you can do with this is quite great.

3 rads - 240mm up top a 120mm on the rear exhaust and 200mm if you want on the front intake

You can push pull with the front and rear rads and pull with the top meaning you will have plenty of airflow.

240 Rad - XSPC EX240 Dual 120mm for performance but for less noise XSPC RS240 Dual 120mm - both $50

120 Rad - Again the Ex 120 and Rs 120 same pros and cons and price - $40

However if you mount one fan outside you can use this XSPC RX120 120mm Radiator to get the best performance and lowest noise - $57 tho

200mm Rad - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator - $83 if you decide on this rad use two of these Yate Loon 220mm x 30mm fans - $15 each

Pump - EK D5 X-Res Top 140 Pump Top / Reservoir Combo w/ Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump Installed - $173 it is a pump res combo using arguably one of the best pumps the d5 and coupling it with a great res top. This will keep up very quick flow rates.

120mm fans - cythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1450 RPM - $16 each all 4 for $64

Tubing - PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 10ft - $23

CPU Block - XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - $63 this is if you dont go with the TEC you can also mount 3mm red led in this and make it glow it comes by default with blue i myself am getting one and putting uv leds in it.

Approximate price of cooling ~530 add fitting ect and you are looking at about ~$550

This means $710 pc + $550 cooling + $160 case = $1420

Now if you go with the TEC it will become $1600 which is still $400 for a card

Which is a reference model 6970 (I think it's a reference can check) for $320 after MIR and comes with Dirt 3 coupon if you don't already have the game.

The this EK Radeon HD 6970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block for $100 putting you basically on $2k if you ditch the TEC you can go better graphics but a 6970 is pretty damn killer on par with and beating the gtx 570.

Hope some of this makes sense/ helps

• Like 1

Here is my idea for the case and cooling.

You said you were bored of the plain old blue and wanted to go red. Well how about ditching the black case too and getting this Corsair Special Edition White Graphite Series 600T - $160 after MIR the black edition is $145 after MIR.

Now the cooling you can do with this is quite great.

3 rads - 240mm up top a 120mm on the rear exhaust and 200mm if you want on the front intake

You can push pull with the front and rear rads and pull with the top meaning you will have plenty of airflow.

240 Rad - XSPC EX240 Dual 120mm for performance but for less noise XSPC RS240 Dual 120mm - both $50

120 Rad - Again the Ex 120 and Rs 120 same pros and cons and price - $40

However if you mount one fan outside you can use this XSPC RX120 120mm Radiator to get the best performance and lowest noise - $57 tho

200mm Rad - Phobya Xtreme 200mm Radiator - $83 if you decide on this rad use two of these Yate Loon 220mm x 30mm fans - $15 each

Pump - EK D5 X-Res Top 140 Pump Top / Reservoir Combo w/ Alphacool VPP655 Variable Speed Pump Installed - $173 it is a pump res combo using arguably one of the best pumps the d5 and coupling it with a great res top. This will keep up very quick flow rates.

120mm fans - cythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm Fan - 1450 RPM - $16 each all 4 for $64

Tubing - PrimoChill PrimoFlex PRO LRT Tubing 10ft - $23

CPU Block - XSPC RayStorm High Performance Acetal CPU Liquid Cooling Block - $63 this is if you dont go with the TEC you can also mount 3mm red led in this and make it glow it comes by default with blue i myself am getting one and putting uv leds in it.

Approximate price of cooling ~530 add fitting ect and you are looking at about ~$550

This means $710 pc + $550 cooling + $160 case = $1420

Now if you go with the TEC it will become $1600 which is still $400 for a card

Which is a reference model 6970 (I think it's a reference can check) for $320 after MIR and comes with Dirt 3 coupon if you don't already have the game.

The this EK Radeon HD 6970 VGA Liquid Cooling Block for $100 putting you basically on $2k if you ditch the TEC you can go better graphics but a 6970 is pretty damn killer on par with and beating the gtx 570.

Hope some of this makes sense/ helps

Tons of information. Thank you.

What I could really do... is just do everything BUT TEC/watercooling. Later on, I'll add the extra cooling. At least that way, I can afford all of the ridiculous components and still get my unique cooling set up.

Tons of information. Thank you.

What I could really do... is just do everything BUT TEC/watercooling. Later on, I'll add the extra cooling. At least that way, I can afford all of the ridiculous components and still get my unique cooling set up.

Thought you had a $2k budget :P haha

This is $2k worth of hardware but yes you could start with something smaller and just not include the 120mm rear rad and front 200mm that way you can still put your CPU under if you won't put the CPU under then get something like the CM 212 Evo to hold you over till you go full blown.

Doing this I realized yet again how much I hate Australian computer hardware prices :/ my next build is going to have $1k of cooling gear not including GPU blocks the rest of the build minus GPUs equals $2k so I have a badass wc system but no new GPUs. In America I could do the same exact build for $2k and then add two brand new 7970s with blocks for $1.3-1.4k depending on waterblock prices in aus those same two 7970s on their own will hit the $1.4k mark I am betting :( oh well got a job and felt like treating mysel on my 19th

Thought you had a $2k budget :P haha

This is $2k worth of hardware but yes you could start with something smaller and just not include the 120mm rear rad and front 200mm that way you can still put your CPU under if you won't put the CPU under then get something like the CM 212 Evo to hold you over till you go full blown.

Doing this I realized yet again how much I hate Australian computer hardware prices :/ my next build is going to have $1k of cooling gear not including GPU blocks the rest of the build minus GPUs equals $2k so I have a badass wc system but no new GPUs. In America I could do the same exact build for $2k and then add two brand new 7970s with blocks for $1.3-1.4k depending on waterblock prices in aus those same two 7970s on their own will hit the $1.4k mark I am betting :( oh well got a job and felt like treating mysel on my 19th

Well, I was using 2k as a rough estimate. Somewhere around there. Probably no higher than 2k though.

Meh, it's not terrific over here :S

I will post pictures whenever I actually build this silly thing :P