Jumping a power supply?

I've recently run out of room in my home server's case for hard drives. Seeing as all the drives are 2TBs, I don't really think upgrading the drives is cost effective.

My goal is to create a small enclosure to house 4-6 drives which will be powered using an old spare PSU and connected to a SATA controller within the server itself. I'd simply using a push button soldered between the ground and green/power on wire and use that to power it on. However, I have read that running a power supply without a load could damage it. In this case I would only be loading the 12V line.. could I damage the power supply without a 5V load? Is there a good, clean way to create a load on the 5V rail if needed (for instance, using a resistor)?

Appreciate any advice on this!

I would get a bigger case or buy an external HDD enclosure.

I considered this. However, I have 8 drive bays in the current case and can't find much bigger without spending a ton. As far as an external enclosure goes, I'm stuck with eSATA or Firewire for the bandwidth for all the drives and to get a decent one runs $200+. I'd rather build one myself using spare components if possible!

I considered this. However, I have 8 drive bays in the current case and can't find much bigger without spending a ton. As far as an external enclosure goes, I'm stuck with eSATA or Firewire for the bandwidth for all the drives and to get a decent one runs $200+. I'd rather build one myself using spare components if possible!

Can't you convert the CD drive bays (forgot what there called) into HDD bays?

Can't you convert the CD drive bays (forgot what there called) into HDD bays?

Yep. But, seeing as I am also low on power connectors on the power supply in the server I was considering simply constructing an external enclosure. The other option(s) : 1) sit the extra PSU ontop of the server and jump it manually. or 2) simply buy splitters for the molex connectors and use them. However, worried about overloading the current supply when the machines boots.

Hence the hope of using the spare PSU :)

Oh, I thought you were going to buy a PSU.

I found this thread that should help you

Appreciate the link. This is actually something I had found earlier. However, the first reply (with the link) the question states that he needed a 0.5A load on the 5V while the second reply states needing a 0.5A load on the 12V. I'm hoping to find out if the 5V load is actually required or not.

Appreciate the link. This is actually something I had found earlier. However, the first reply (with the link) the question states that he needed a 0.5A load on the 5V while the second reply states needing a 0.5A load on the 12V. I'm hoping to find out if the 5V load is actually required or not.

Maybe you could PM the PSU expert paulktreg?

Maybe you could PM the PSU expert paulktreg?

I'll give him a bit to respond here before I go bugging him :) - Thanks for the name though. I'll see if I can't get in touch with him if I don't have an idea by this weekend