Jumping a power supply?

A dummy load for a 5v line is a 10 watt 10 ohm resistor.

Best thing to do is get one red wire (5v) and one black wire (ground) solder and heatshrink then mount in the path of airflow, tied to the intake/exhaust of PSU is perfect.

However as Waco said hdds I do think pull from both 12v and 5v lines.

One final thing you PSU will have a sense wire usually a pale orange possibly brown and it will be a smaller guage tht other wires it needs to remain connected to its orange counterpart, you will find it in the 22/4 pin atx connector.

A dummy load for a 5v line is a 10 watt 10 ohm resistor.

Best thing to do is get one red wire (5v) and one black wire (ground) solder and heatshrink then mount in the path of airflow, tied to the intake/exhaust of PSU is perfect.

However as Waco said hdds I do think pull from both 12v and 5v lines.

One final thing you PSU will have a sense wire usually a pale orange possibly brown and it will be a smaller guage tht other wires it needs to remain connected to its orange counterpart, you will find it in the 22/4 pin atx connector.

Didn't know it pulled from both! That makes things a bit easier.

As far as the sense wire goes, is that a necessity? You're saying I actually need it plugged into an ATX connector on a board? That can't be right can it? 0o

No no just if you cut that plug off or something just make sure the sense wire remains touching the orange wire. It does not need to be in a board. If you leave the plug in dont do anything.

Edit: Also I am not 100% (only bout 90%) about hdd drawing both, just do a quick Google search. I am on my phone nd cant be bothered myself.

Edited by Stonerboy779

No no just if you cut that plug off or something just make sure the sense wire remains touching the orange wire. It does not need to be in a board. If you leave the plug in dont do anything.

Also I am not 100% just do a quick Google search I am on my phone nd cant be bothered myself.

Oh awesome. I was wondering as I've seen PSUs used before without having them plugged in :P

I'm just gonna jump it with a paperclip until I come up with a more permanent solution.

Appreciate all the help guys!

Oh awesome. I was wondering as I've seen PSUs used before without having them plugged in :P

I'm just gonna jump it with a paperclip until I come up with a more permanent solution.

Appreciate all the help guys!

Just buy yourself a switch.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an enclosure that just houses HDD's like you metioned (16 HDD's) and i havent run into any problems and its been about 6 months

Out of curiosity, did you buy it or make it yourself?

How'd you connect it to your main box? I'm trying to figure out if just long cables would work well enough or how I want to go about doing it for sure.