Questions about some intel CPUs

Hello Everybody

I have a question about the i7 3930k just for my own culture,

in many reviews and tests of the "future" AMD HD7970 they claim that X79 + 3930k is a PCI-E 3.0 capable, but when i see the specifications in the intel site

we can read PCI Express Revision 2.0 and DMI 5 GT/s, and it's stated that PCI-E is 8 GT/s

so the question is does it really works at plain load on PCI-E 3.0 or do we have to wait for Ivy ?

the other question is about Sandy Bridge platform

again in the intel website we can see for Sandy Bridge CPUs Memory Types DDR3-1066/1333

does this mean that if we put a 1333, 1600 or 2000 mhz memory it will be clamped and will perform the same ? or it supports higher frequencies than 1333 like if it was overclocked ?

thank you for your answers and have a nice day/night

Edited by GoLLuM13

1.PCI-E 3.0 is like SATA 3.0, nothing is really fast enough to justify getting yet. There isn't even a card out yet that can max out a 2.1 lane. So it quite useless.

2.No, it would depend on the motherboard supported ram speed. Not the CPU supported speed.

• Like 1

first thing first thank you for the reply

i agree with you about PCI-E 2.1 but for sata 3.0 a vertex 3 will be strangled on a SATA 2.0, but the meaning of the question is not really about performance but hardware support/compatibility :rolleyes:

in sandy bridge architecture the memory controller is in the CPU, or no ? (but let's say for this case the motherboard support until 2200 mhz) will the memories run at their full speed ? (because i saw people saying that it will not go higher than 1333 and i'm confused now, i have 1600mhz and CPU-Z shows me 802.4mhz so everything is ok i think)