Problem: fan @ 100$ & no display.

bbbrad

It been a while since I've visit after learning to build here at occ. Today as I was on loading screen playing SC2 my computer crapped out and monitor went blank. So I went to force shutdown and wouldn't work. So I flipped the power switch. I went to power back on and video card was going crazy spinning at 100% and still no signal to monitor. Also I notice 3 red lights on the back of the video card.

It seemed like everything else was normal. All fans were working I could hear hdd and DVD making noise. Psu was spinning and obviously delivering some type of power...

All of this happened out of the blue after about 2 years with me changing nothing.

Any help with fixing this would be great.

I tried taking everything apart and cleaning dusting etc. And put it back together but still same problem. System is in sig

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had same problem when my 8800 gts died, Fan went to 100 % at start up but could not get video, as said nothing showing for your specs so not sure if this is same problem.

I had a similar problem with an 8800 GS a while back. I wonder if OP could try to bake the GPU.

His 4890

Phenom 955 be with dark knight xgimatek cooler

4gb ddr3 1600 PC's

wd 640gb 7200 32cache

Ocz mod stream pro 700watt psu

LG DVD burner

antec 902 case

gigabyte fx790 ud5p mobo

Sorry hard doing this with my phone. Edit for mobo add.

Edited by bbbrad

I cleaned all the dust out of the system and did the best I could with the CPU without taking the cover off. I also reseated the CPU with new thermal compound. I'm not sure what baking a GPU means.

I've also tried booting with an ancient video card from an old dell and still didn't get monitor signal(nvidia gforce 6series)

As well as unplugging the drives and tried booting but no change.

Go back to pc fix 101, unplug from back of pc, pull out your cmos battery to reset bios, leave out for 2 min. to be safe, put battery back in, replug system and see what happens, then pull out memory cards and reseat them, see what happens, leave origional video card in while doing this, if you have onboard video take out card before you start this. May take a bit but you are breaking down what problem could be.