High-End i7-3960X PC Build

NikoDG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is almost the exact build I was looking at, just using the HAF 932 ADVANCED in place of the Storm Trooper, and not as many drives, and seperate as opposed to in raid. I have had nothing but problems with raid controllers, and I understand motherboard raid blah blah, I am fine with them as seperate drives.

Hmmm, I haven't thought of it, and I honestly have no idea how to go about that :O

Would you mind filling me in?

Well I mean it is all up to you, that is the beauty of it. I have seen people throw a pc inside of a card board box all the way to up making a life size replica of R2-D2. Building a case takes a lot of time, but thankfully you have that if you want to wait for the 7000 series cards. I suppose the first thing would be to find something you can relate to or that you like. For instance, so you like a football team, a car, guns, anime, or maybe a particular movie you could model the case after? Or maybe it is just a particular aesthetic quality you would want. Think about what YOU like and what you would want to see your build in, and then we could go from there is you like.

That sounds really cool BUT... I'm horrible at building things, hehe, I mean I'm fine with assembling things from a number of components, but building something like a case from scratch, I can't see that going well for me :P

I'm planning on having a dual cooling circuit set-up; the first running through the CPU water block then the RAM water block, the second being split from one 3/8" tube into 2x 1/4" tubes, then running into the GPU water blocks (this should get rid of that horrible noise the 6990's make with your stock coolers), then returning into a 3/8" tube. I'm probably gonna have both circuits running in two different colours, though that has nothing to do with performance, just aesthetics.

Thanks in advance for any input you have :)

I think you would be better going with a swiftech pump and single res with config designed for on single flow no splitters with the smoothest and shortest curves between components to keep up high rates of change. you will get much better cooling this way. Splitting then joining for GPUs will not do what you hope it will. And if you put GPU and CPU in one loop you can achieve better GPU cooling with only a little sacrifice in CPU cooling which will be made up times over by the money saved being invested into a better pump and fans.

If you end up going dual for looks then do not split for GPU just run one into the other into the rad then res, pump and back again.

That sounds really cool BUT... I'm horrible at building things, hehe, I mean I'm fine with assembling things from a number of components, but building something like a case from scratch, I can't see that going well for me :P

Lol, I know that feeling :lol: .

Looks like one hell of a system to me. Although for a case I might suggest a Mountain Mods case to really get enough rad and fulfill the need for MOAR! :lol::thumbsup:

I would have to agree with ccokeman on this one. From the looks of the build, it seems that money isn't really a big deal :evilgrin: So why not just spring for a case designed for water cooling! You should take a look at either the Mountain Mods or Danger Den sites as they both specialize in cases like this :thumbsup: I will also say that I have the U2-UFO and absolutely love it. :cheers:

I would have to agree with ccokeman on this one. From the looks of the build, it seems that money isn't really a big deal :evilgrin: So why not just spring for a case designed for water cooling! You should take a look at either the Mountain Mods or Danger Den sites as they both specialize in cases like this :thumbsup: I will also say that I have the U2-UFO and absolutely love it. :cheers:

I guess that would be the most appropriate answer to my dilemma, but I have a couple problems with those kind of cases. For one, they look more like they belong in an arcade than in someone's house, with the big boxy shapes and lack of aesthetics, and they don't have much in the way of connectivity. Personally the main things that drew me to the CM Storm Trooper were the aesthetics, the USB 3.0 connectivity, the portability, and the X-Dock. But, sadly, it looks as though the two dual 120mm radiators spots won't be enough to satisfy my beast. Maybe by March someone will design a case that is portable, has tool free assembly, hot swap drives for both 3.5" and 2.5" sizes, USB 3.0 connectivity in the front, an easy to use fan controller with enough connections to control every fan in the system, an X-Dock, and of course enough room to mount two triple 140mm radiators? I can dream can't I? Lol :P

Well the 7970(6990) uses like 190W so it's not that bad...

Yeah, I'm thinking I'll probably stick it out until march, start off with a single 7990, then add a second once the price drops a fair bit. Apparently the 7000 series is supposed to run much cooler and use less power than the 6000 series, so if that's true maybe I will be able to make it work with two dual 120mm radiators. That'll also allow some time to look at different cases, who knows maybe the perfect case for me will come out in a couple months.