High-End i7-3960X PC Build

NikoDG

So, until recently I usually left the building of my high-end rigs to the professionals ordering computers from Alienware, TigerDirect, and other places that specialize in assembling custom built computers. But lets face it, where's the fun in getting someone else to build your computer for you? And is that hefty premium they charge you worth it? Not to mention the limited choices they provide you with and the fact that your computer's components usually hold up a bit better seperately than when they're all jiggling around in the case. I had a little fun with the last computer I bought because the Radeon GPU i had installed was such a behemoth it actually damage the motherboard on the trip over. So since the new Sandy Bridge-E CPU's came out I've been spending a lot of my spare time looking up components, reading reviews, comparing them to the competition and have finally come up with a build I find acceptable. Though, this being the first time I've actually done this completely on my own I worry I may have chosen a couple incompatible parts or may have overlooked some other diffulty (the one upside of getting the pro's to do it is they tell you this kinda stuff making it extremely easy).

This build is geared towards being as future proof as possible while making use of a crazy multi-monitor configuration that includes my already owned 60" 1080p 3D Plasma TV and two smaller Plasma's. If anyone is willing to look through the build and critique it, give me feedback, maybe some suggestions to make it better I would really appreciate it.

PC Build

Case - CoolerMaster Storm Trooper

CPU - Intel i7-3960X

Motherboard - ASUS Rampage IV Extreme

Power Supply - Thermaltake Toughpower 1500W

Boot Disk - OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB

4x Raid 10 HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1TB

2x Blu-Ray Writer - LG BH12LS35

Memory - G.Skill RipjawsZ DDR3 2400

2x GPU - Radeon 6990 (in Quad-SLI)

Wireless Adapter - D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme

Cooling System Build

Pump - Swiftech MCP655 (21Lpm)

Reservoir - XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir with MCP655 Built in Functionality

2x Radiator - XSPC RX240

Radiator - Danger Den Black Ice SR1

4x Fan - Aerocool 140mm 96.5CFM

CPU Water Block - EK Supreme High Flow

2x GPU Water Blocks - EK FC6990

RAM Water Block - Bitspower DIMM4

1/2" Tubing - Tygon R-3603

This shows how I intend to orientate my radiators and fans, the blue arrows showing where it pulls in cold air, the red showing where it ejects hot air. In this set-up I try to keep the hot air ejection near the top as hot air rises and cold air falls. I also try and make sure that there is a sufficient amount of cold air intake towards the motherboard as that is where it is needed most. All my radiators are orientated over vent fans so that air heated as it travels through them doesn't re-enter the system, this should help keep efficiency up. Although, the air traveling over my HDD's will be slightly warmer as it will have tavreled through a radiator, though that radiator will just be dissipating heat from the CPu and memory, so it shouldn't be too bad. Also, I don't mind having to remove the bottom 2.5" tray as I can always place 2.5" SSD's in the cages, and the removal of the little tool kit at the bottom front is no big deal for me so I will be modifying that section a little to add those two fans. Overall, I'll have 4x120mm fans blowing cold air into the case, then 1x140mm and 4x120mm fans pulling hot air out.

I've decided to change from a dual circuit to a single circuit, this should keep the amount of heat supplied to all radiators fairly constant, thus increasing my total heat removal. Note that with the my new choice in reservoir the pump is now contained within the reservoir to save space.

Thanks in advance for any input you have :)

Edited by NikoDG

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your going to need bigger radiators than those to keep all that power cool.

So, there are three places in the CM Storm Trooper that you can mount a radiator. I'm really wishing I knew exactly where they were and how large. For certain I know that by removing the HDD cages you can add a radiator up to 482mm in length. But I don't really wanna give up all that HDD space. I know there is also a spot to mount a 240mm radiator. But the third spot that I have heard about in reviews is lost to me, hopefully someone knows the exact set-up and can give me a hand here.

Edited by NikoDG

Aww man can't ya wait for 7970's? They 'supposedly' have the performance of on 6990 in 1 GPU :)

Hmmm, the first Quarter of 2012 is the supposed release date, a possible three months. That's actually not too long a wait, maybe I can stick it out that long ;)

Man can you imagine how insane that 7990 is gonna be? I might be able to turn my Quad-CS into a one card (dual GPU) system :D

Oh, but then all the extra power. NEED MOAR RADIATOR. My case just keeps looking smaller and smaller :whoa:

Edited by NikoDG

Okay, so after watching the HardwareCanucks video review of the CM Storm Trooper case (which was actually pretty nice) I now know the size and location of all the radiator mounts :D

I can fit two dual 140mm radiators, one on the top and one on the bottom, without sacrificing any HHD space, not too shabby in my opinion.

I will probably mount two Koolance 2x140mm Radiator each with two Koolance 140mm 108CFM Fan and hopefully that will keep my CPU, memory, and GPU's all at a very nice cold temperature. I modified my original post to reflect this.

Edited by NikoDG

Hmmm, the first Quarter of 2012 is the supposed release date, a possible three months. That's actually not too long a wait, maybe I can stick it out that long ;)

Man can you imagine how insane that 7990 is gonna be? I might be able to turn my Quad-CS into a one card (dual GPU) system :D

Oh, but then all the extra power. NEED MOAR RADIATOR. My case just keeps looking smaller and smaller :whoa:

Looks like one hell of a system to me. Although for a case I might suggest a Mountain Mods case to really get enough rad and fulfill the need for MOAR! :lol::thumbsup:

Ok, so after reading a post on OCC about water cooling I find myself second guessing my set-up, so I posted a new thread under the more appropriate category. Anyone who reads this and thinks that they may have some insight for me please visit my new post and tell me what you think. You can find that post here:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=188882&pid=1976968&st=0entry1976968

Once again any input is greatly appreciated.