HELP!

Tjj226_Angel

I have an Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard and an Agility 3 120gb SSD. I bought the SSD and a GTX 560 TI yesterday from microcenter (there might be a problem with the video card that I will post under video cards) . I put it all together and loaded windows 7 on it and ran crystal disk mark on it. 113 mega bytes per second read speeds!!!!!!!! This is with a 4000mb test. Now the only reason it should be slow is that it is on a Marvell Sata III port. Even though it is Sata III apparently Marvell slows it down. But not by 400mbps read speed. I have downloaded and installed intel rapid storage drivers, and have taken the drive out and plugged it directly into the motherboard rather than use the case's hot swap drive bays. I have done all but update the firmware. The only reason I haven't is because I think it might be a waste of time.

My questions would be, do you think the drive is bad?

What can I do to get the Marvell port working (if that is the real problem)

If nothing else, what should I do to get my speeds up?

I do want the forum to know that I do not expect anything like 500mbps read speeds. I understand the Marvell controller slows it down, but I have seen people hit about 400mbps read with the same drive and a 1366 socket board. That is about the speed I want to shoot for.

Thank you to anyone who wants to help!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you using a SATA III cable for it?

Yeup. I even tried a different Sata III cable for it too. Same thing happens.

I should also mention that the SSD is in ACHI and has trim enabled.

Edited by Tjj226_Angel

Try an Intel SATA port?

Well, it wouldn't matter. I have a 1366 socket board which only has Marvell as the sata III ports. The Intel ports are the Sata II. I tested it out and I didn't even let it turn on. It took longer than my regular HDD.

Well I am a retard. I set my BIOS back to default and I fixed my graphics card issue AND the SSD issue. I am up to 400mbps read. I will probably return it and go with the mushkin drive though. It will cost about 50 bucks more, but I will be getting a more realistic SSD performance. The boot time on the Agility three is still a little slow despite my efforts.

I just got home and decided to run some more tests to make sure that my SSD was stable, and it wasn't. I get really sporadic reads and writes. I ran Crystal disk mark and ATTO three times each. I get 200mb read one second and then 400 the next. It has even gone down to 80mb ps read.

Ha, just NOW my computer blue screened (thank you laptop). I just checked and yes the blue screen code does relate to the hard drive.

I have some questions.

1: does any one know of an easy fix?

2: Would updating the firmware actually FIX the problem and not just be a patch that might lead to stability issues with data and what not?

3: Should I just go with this drive and suck up the price difference http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226236 ?

If any one could help that would be great :cheers:

Well I am a retard. I set my BIOS back to default and I fixed my graphics card issue AND the SSD issue. I am up to 400mbps read. I will probably return it and go with the mushkin drive though. It will cost about 50 bucks more, but I will be getting a more realistic SSD performance. The boot time on the Agility three is still a little slow despite my efforts.

What did you change in the BIOS to cause this?