is my comp safe?

akbigchillin

I've been trying to figure out that bus speed too. I'm used to the 200 MHz of my Phenom, so 100 MHz seemed odd, but the OCC review of the A8-3850 overclocked its bus speed to 125, so I guess 100 could be the correct base speed.

Anyway, there is definitely something screwy going on here. How did the original poster find the CPUs starting voltage? He says he dropped it from 1.475V which is almost as high as ajmatson could go in his review (1.48 V as higher would cause it to heat up so fast the system would power down). Also, since when does an HP computer allow the multiplier and voltage to change on its desktops? I'm thinking there is at least one software bug somewhere here causing things to be misreported.

I really pretty silly now, for some reason I read the bus speed as 88mhz lol.

It's not a software problem that is causing this false OC, its a problem with all current llano chips. Even though you CANNOT change the multiplier software (and the BIOS) will still give you the option to do so. Everything will report am increased CPU speed, but none happened.

The voltage thing was most likely an issue with the older overclocking software.

The temperatures reported are probably accurate. I didn't actually look at them, but llano chips run very cool at stock setrings (which the chip is actually at).

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

first i would like to thank everyone for their input on this. i got my stock volt setting from k10stat when i first started it it read 1.475. also i have definantly noticed an increase in speed in the time it takes my comp to boot up and my windows experience index numbers have all gone up slightly after overclocking. later today i will try running prime 95 and super pi at my supposed overclocked speeds and then again after reseting (again according to k10stat) to stock speeds and compare the times. also i did cause the system to crash after dropping my voltage below 1.1 with k10stat which is why i bumped it up to 1.2 to be safe. my question now would be that if the programs are lieing to me which i beleive is if not completly true then at least partially true cause i knew this was too good to be true how can i if at all overclock this proccessor? as i said i couldn't find anything in my bios that would allow me to do so. thanks again for all the input i've recieved i really apperciate the help.

Edited by akbigchillin

I'm tired, and might be repeating people, if so, sorry (2 hours of sleep Haha)

Your CPU screenshot is reporting a fake overclock because you have the multiplier set at 47.

Llano chips have a multiplier bug where both the BIOS and CPUz will report an increased multi, when really, its not.

If you bring the multi back to what it is supposed to be at(which is what it is actually running at), you'll be able to see how much it is actually overclocked.

But to answer your question, yes it is safe because its not overclocked as much as you think. :)

Edit:

Actually, with that bus speed your chip is actually downclocked.

Listen to the guy, he's right.

i've done some searching on the a6 3600 chip and everyone says the same thing increase the fsb but noone says exactly how... i've checked and rechecked my bios and unless i'm a complete moron and somehow missed it there is no option in the bios to increase my fsb... is there another way to do it or am i just stuck at stock speeds? i ran sisoftware sandra and that program shows my fsb at 45 mhz which correct me if i'm wrong... sucks?

Manufacturers, as you've experienced, lock the BIOS so that you cannot overclock. You should be able to overclock your chip by increasing the BCLCK with some overclocking software. With the exception of GPUs I don't use software for overclocking, so I don't have a good reccomendation for you. I'm sure someone here will though.

Your stock BCLK should be 100MHz. :)

I'm tired, and might be repeating people, if so, sorry (2 hours of sleep Haha)

Your CPU screenshot is reporting a fake overclock because you have the multiplier set at 47.

Llano chips have a multiplier bug where both the BIOS and CPUz will report an increased multi, when really, its not.

If you bring the multi back to what it is supposed to be at(which is what it is actually running at), you'll be able to see how much it is actually overclocked.

But to answer your question, yes it is safe because its not overclocked as much as you think. :)

Edit:

Actually, with that bus speed your chip is actually downclocked.

it is not a really a bug, Although the multi shows it overclocking, the chip cannot overclock via multi only reference clock. It is on the specs from AMD

Manufacturers, as you've experienced, lock the BIOS so that you cannot overclock. You should be able to overclock your chip by increasing the BCLCK with some overclocking software. With the exception of GPUs I don't use software for overclocking, so I don't have a good reccomendation for you. I'm sure someone here will though.

Your stock BCLK should be 100MHz. :)

For some reason AMD did not change the code for the bios to lock the multi as I said above. Also it is reference clock not BClk BTW.

AK you can try prime95 all you want but the APU is NOT overclocking although your software shows it is. I reported this to AMD in late July and eventually they will rewrite the code for the partners....

Edited by Drdeath

it is not a really a bug, Although the multi shows it overclocking, the chip cannot overclock via multi only reference clock. It is on the specs from AMD

How is that not a bug? :lol:

Also it is reference clock not BClk BTW.

For some reason I thought that the two words were interchangeable for llano chips. That's good to know though. :)

As for it not being a bug, I'm not sure what you'd call it otherwise.

How is that not a bug? :lol:

If the chip allowed the multi to overclock, the bios would overclock it. The code for the bios has to be rewritten. The software is reading everything correct thus no bug. The chip is simply not overclocking due to a locked multi. On A75 boards, you can actually raise the multi in the bios.

Edited by Drdeath