CPU torture testing question

RiftRunner

A: Sadism

Real answer: to be sure*

* if you're not sure, you're just playing a game of chance... whether your data and time (reinstalling) are important to you is up to you... some people don't care losing either

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Prime95 was developed to find prime numbers. It just happens to be a pretty damn good test of stability and cooling capability. IntelBurnTest is similar - it does intensive math that creates more heat and more load than you're ever likely to see. Because of this, it's a great tool to make sure that no matter what you do on your computer, you'll be stable and within thermal limits. That's the whole point of stability testing. Why overclock if all you're going to do is generate the wrong answer for something? Why overclock if you're going to corrupt your OS, crash in games, etc?

If you can't run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest indefinitely without running into heat issues then you've got something wrong with your computer. Post up your machine specs and some pictures so we can start troubleshooting - you really shouldn't be hitting anything close to 60 C with the stock cooler at stock settings unless you're got extremely high ambient temperatures or something is wrong. There's no conspiracy to sell cooling hardware. :P

Nice reply by the way, not sure what all specs you are wanting, cpu fan smart target set at 40c

AMD Phenom II x4 955be at 3.2ghz

msi n550gtx-ti cyclone II

msi nf750-g55 mobo

8g gskill sniper 1333 ram

samsung 640g harddrive

Depends on what case and motherboard you have. As spikesoprano said the hyper 212 evo is a great cooler. I tested it out a while back ago and its a top performer for the money and performs along side heatsinks at twice the cost. The only trouble with the cooler is its tall so it may not fit in narrow mid towers. If you have a case that is narrow then the swiftech Polaris or the evga superclocked are good. There is also the option of an h60 70 80 or 100 its just a matter of will it blend.... I mean fit... lol

If you can't run Prime95 or IntelBurnTest indefinitely without running into heat issues then you've got something wrong with your computer.

Surely not. Prime or OCCT or IBT fails after 3 minutes, but my computer is stable............................ :)

Back to the torture test question,let's just say torture test is a bad name for these programs,these programs are designed to run your cpu and memory at 100% capacity for extended peroids of time, which they should be able to do without overheating and corrupting data if they are running properly. So it is to your benifit when you oc to use these to make sure it is working properly. Any and all builds I do get 8 hrs of prime and 2 hrs of mem test before it goes out the door even if they are not going to be oc'ed. I do not want them coming back because of a blue screen or shut down due to a faulty part.

Back to the torture test question,let's just say torture test is a bad name for these programs,these programs are designed to run your cpu and memory at 100% capacity for extended peroids of time, which they should be able to do without overheating and corrupting data if they are running properly. So it is to your benifit when you oc to use these to make sure it is working properly. Any and all builds I do get 8 hrs of prime and 2 hrs of mem test before it goes out the door even if they are not going to be oc'ed. I do not want them coming back because of a blue screen or shut down due to a faulty part.

i have got an understanding of the need for these test, but now the big question is why wont my system (at default settings) run prime95 without hitting 60c in under a minute, thats what had me thinking something was crazy about these test, LOL

Surely not. Prime or OCCT or IBT fails after 3 minutes, but m computer is stable............................

So you get wrong results from multiple programs but you call it stable? :P

i have got an understanding of the need for these test, but now the big question is why wont my system (at default settings) run prime95 without hitting 60c in under a minute, thats what had me thinking something was crazy about these test, LOL

Your heatsink may be mounted improperly or your cpu fan could be dying.

Your heatsink may be mounted improperly or your cpu fan could be dying.

I have ordered some high quality thermal paste, should be here in the morning, gona remount the cooler with it and see if that was the problem or not