Uber Nuber

jadonv11

Hi there, I just purchased a used gaming system and this is the first time screwing around with overclocking and basicly any type of harware like this. stoked! to say the least. anywass if i give ya kinda what i have in this thing can someone tell me were to start with over clocking it and how to check how its overclocking and so on. i tried reading up on it but i cant relay it to my own system. let me know if you need anymore info..

Asus striker 2 Formula mother board

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500 @3.16ghz

3gb of ram kingston dr2 (<-- some reason its saying i can only use 2.50 ?)

intel heat sink going on for cooling. with the thermal gel.

windows 7 32 bit operating system. <-- i dont know if shoulld be upgrading to the 64bit i see that is a biggy in speeding things up.

I am not sure but "Intel heat sink" sounds like the stock heat sink that comes with the CPU.

I would recommend against attempting to overclock your machine with a stock heat sink.

Not saying it can't be done safely, but normally those Intel stock heat sinks provide just enough cooling for the heat output of the CPU @ a normal setting.

First step if I where you and wanting to overclock would be to look for a bigger/better CPU Cooler.

I was going to refer you to an Overclocking HOW-TO but I cannot seem to find one.. I have a hard time believing no one has written one since for the most part Overclocking a Computer has not really changed in the last 10 years.

I am sure someone else will chime in to help out though.

But for now I would definitely take a look at finding a differ. CPU Cooler.

Your mb supports 64 bit w7, it will only help if you add over 3 gb of memory, w7 32 bit will not detect memory over 3 gb or close to it.You did not mention a video card which is a big part of a gaming pc. If the board only has onboard video it might be using 512 mb of your 3 gb of ram. Not sure with that board as I've never owned one.

Edit>Just read a review and it has to have a video card, so what kind is it ??

Edit 2> read this, might help you out>http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/asus_striker_ii_formula/

Edited by SpikeSoprano

You NEED a new heat sink if you want to do any real overclocking. Period.

Now until you get said new heat sink, you could get more familiar with overclocking by going into your BIOS. On start up you want to hit delete, F2, or some other button. You can google your motherboard and find out which button it is. Then go into the extreme tweaker section of the BIOS. Change AI tweaker to manual. Then you can change the multiplier. I don't know a safe overclock with the intel based heat sink, but you could possibly get away with changing the multiplier bu adding .5.

Please understand that you can not run this all the time with your current heat sink. This is just to get a feel for things. Also please understand that this is not true overclocking. This is just a little teaser until you get better cooling, just so that you can feel more comfortable in the BIOS.

Until you get a new heatsink, I am not even going to tell you more than what I have said simply to prevent you from ruining your computer.

If you could tell us how much you would be willing to put into this computer, we can tell you what some of your options are for cooling. Until then, try to "find" a copy of windows 7 64 bit. :evilgrin:;)

Just download a win 7 64bit install .iso and mount it to disc or borrow someone's 64bit install disc the 32bit registration you currently have will work for a 64bit install.

However some oem programs (those annoying ones you don't want will not install again with a 64bit install) if you really want them head over to your mobo manufactures website pull up your mobo and download drivers ect (64bit make sure, if you install a 64bit version)

If you get into some more serious build parts like 2x 6950 2gb you won't even be able to use a 32bit system as already said the ram allowance of 32bit counts vram and actually counts it first.

Enough of os spend $25-30 and pick up a cm 212+ or 212 evo for a little more if you want things quieter. Then consider overclocking your CPU intel/stock heatsyncs are really quiet useless most of the time.

Here is the thing, stoner is right. Unless you plan on pushing a really high overclock, just go with something cheap. Oh speaking of which, Newegg has a sale right now. 25% of all coolers. Unfortunately the Noctua NH-D14 and the Corsair H100 are both out of stock. However, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608016 its on sale for 45 bucks and it comes with a free hard drive cooler. I don't really think you need one, but who doesn't like free stuff :thumbsup: .

I think if you can spend the extra money, do it and go with noctua. At idle it is 8dba and on load its like 18. So its basically silent. Better cooling, better overclocking, free stuff, its silent, and it is on sale. How can you loose?

alright so "found" the windows i was looking for. im running a nvidia geforce 9600 gt for the video card and for power ive got no clue. it looks pretty good.. im just way to lazy to go back into this thing i just got it running normaly once again :P for some reason it kept shutting off for no reason. so yes new heat sink ill go pick one up at tigerdirect or somthing there usually good on prices there.

sorry and ive also got 4 slots ram filled. under comp properties its says i have 3g of ram then in brackets after it says (2.50 usable) no idea why it would do that. unless its what you guys were saying about 32 not working with more ram.

sorry and ive also got 4 slots ram filled. under comp properties its says i have 3g of ram then in brackets after it says (2.50 usable) no idea why it would do that. unless its what you guys were saying about 32 not working with more ram.

32 bit operating systems cannot access all of the 4 GB address space for user processes. Memory mapped I/O eats up a good chunk of that space so the most you'll ever see is slightly over 3 GB and can sometimes be a lot less depending on your hardware.

You'd be well-served to update your Windows install to the 64 bit version - your key for 32 bit will work with the same version of 64 bit Windows. :cheers: