DFI LanParty DK 790FXB-M2RS AM2+

Have just received confirmation on support with an AM3 980 CPU. I'm GTG, benchmarks to follow soon.

I have a FXB-m2rs too, with an Phenom II X2 555 BE and i want to upgreade it now for BF3, so is the 980 BE working on it? The X6 1100T would be great, but if that one works?...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think any socket compatible proc should work with latest bios, but you never know. I would have gone with the 955 and just bumped the multiplier to get the same speed (or more of course).

@Mastersnoop: have you tried unlocking your other cores? You could probably get a 980 from it ;)

To get to where a 980 will be supported on our board, we will have todo this in two, or three steps. To start you need the latest bios, check DFI @ http://www.dfi.com.tw for this update - R7SDA08. This Phoenix Award 6.00PG bios with a date of 10/08/09 supports an AM3 Phenom II x4 965, 125 watt TDP, revision C3 (938) according to DFI. This is the first step and important! Research DFI's site and look for the phone number for ITOX in New Jersey, 1-800 no less, ask for Russ. I am taking no chances so I will be looking to update the microcode as well. A 965 is exactly the same architechurally as a 980 with a few small minor details. Anyways, after waiting and researching for close to two years I don't want to brick my board even though I am sure we will be alright. Update your bios and let me get my 980 installed as I havn't picked it up yet. BTW, I am also going to install 8GB of 1066 mhz memory (2 kits x 2gb x2 DDR2 8500). This is my choice and I want all the grunt I can get. Windows7 x64 will sure appreciate it. This will be the last hurray for this board, so I want reasonable performance and some resale value when I do upgrade. It doesn't look like the FX-8150 Bulldozer CPU's are going to be anything special so there is no point as far as I am concerned in waiting...to bad as I have fond memories of my FX-60. Keep in touch with your progress.

Cheers:

Allen(Al)

Edited by Allen

i think any socket compatible proc should work with latest bios, but you never know. I would have gone with the 955 and just bumped the multiplier to get the same speed (or more of course).

@Mastersnoop: have you tried unlocking your other cores? You could probably get a 980 from it ;)

yeah i did some overclocking with 2 cores how you can see here and is working pretty fine! http://www.overclockers.at/files/15351284250pwm_172306.jpg

So with 2 cores its stable with 4,55 Ghz and a 284 MHz Bus frequenzy, but when i unlock the cpu in bios to all cores, the cpu won't get stable anyway, it freezes always! The maximum i can take out is unlocking 3 cores stable at 4,16 Ghz with a bus speed of 267 Mhz with 8gb Kingston Hyper X 8500.

cheers

yeah i did some overclocking with 2 cores how you can see here and is working pretty fine! http://www.overclockers.at/files/15351284250pwm_172306.jpg

So with 2 cores its stable with 4,55 Ghz and a 284 MHz Bus frequenzy, but when i unlock the cpu in bios to all cores, the cpu won't get stable anyway, it freezes always! The maximum i can take out is unlocking 3 cores stable at 4,16 Ghz with a bus speed of 267 Mhz with 8gb Kingston Hyper X 8500.

cheers

3core @ 4ghz is not so far from a quadcore... but its not me who is upgrading...

yeah i did some overclocking with 2 cores how you can see here and is working pretty fine! http://www.overclock...0pwm_172306.jpg

cheers

I see you really have your cpu volts cranked, what temps were you geting at this clock, and what are you using for cpu cooling ?Just wondering because I run my 550x 2 at 3.6 24/7 @ x4 but when I HIT 4ghz it gets unstable yet my temps are still fine.

just a quick bit of advice. i had that board and quadfired HD 4850's on it. as you amp up with a PII quad, keep an eye on the NB temps. it's a great board, but the NB HS is a bit lacking for an OC'ing MB.

Good luck with the upgrade :)

As far as overclocking I am not interested, yet. Stability with an AM3 980 is more important, and then we will worry about stepping up the speed. As far as unlocking your fourth core I think that is a bad idea. There has been many stories attributed to AMD that the fourth core was locked on purpose because it was a way to negate the financial loss' as opposed to just throwing out a core when they knew that a Tri-Core was built from the same mold. Again, my opinion. Still waiting for delivery of my 980. Damn Thanksgiving! And actually waiting for word from DFI on a bios update.

So I am confused here, or is the context wrong. Two of you say that you O/C and everything is fine, then you say it "FREEZES". And you are inherently wrong anyway. Kingston HyperX DDR2 8500? It clearly show's Crusial 6400. This is why I never copy and paste. You carry over everybody else's mistakes. So what is it? Like I said you can do what you want, I don't want to waste anymore time than necessary. So when I get my 980 installed and supported I will post some numbers.

Edited by Allen

So i am confused here or is the context wrong. Two of you say that you O/C and everything is fine, then you say it "FREEZES". So what is it. Like I said you can do what you want, I don't want to waste anymore time than necessary. So when I get my 980 installed and supported I will post some numbers.

yeah, that would be great! sorry for "spaming" in your post about overclocking. I have a FXB-m2rs too and i also want to know if and how good it works.

My Setup:

Mobo: FXB-M2RS

CPU: Phenom II X2 555

CPU-Cooler: Zalman 9700

Northbridge-Cooler: Thermalright HR-05 IFX

When i unlock the cpu to x4 its not gentle stable enough anyway playing Battlefield 3 for example, with 3 cores activated its working deluxe an i have the best performance. With 2 cores i get the higher frequencys (4,5 ghz@1,55V 40°C), and with 3 cores (4,16 ghz@1,50V 32°C)

So, the AMD 7 Chipset is not supporting x6-core cpu's and i want to upgreade it to the latest x4 Phenom II cpu.

Edited by Mastersnoop

Please, the board referenced above specifically does not support a 140 TPD CPU. DFI is very clear the CPU must be of 125 TDP max. Make sure you get this CPU. An AM3 Phenom II x4 980, 125 watt TDP, 45 nm process, revision C3 (938). Part # HDZ980FBK4DGM

Edited by Allen