8 phase or 18 phase for overclocking an i5

Mintyttx

Hey guys I have a new build and I wanted to know whether to go with the Asus P8P67 M Pro (8 phase) or a Asus Sabertooth P67 (18 phase) their ruflly a 90 dollar difference were I'm from so I don't know if I should go with the sabertooth which one is better for over clocking a i5 2500k?

This is what I'm planning on getting, i5 2500k, noctua nh-d14, (mobo), g.skip Ripjaws x 1600mhz cl9 4x2, WD blue 1TB, MSI GTX 580 pe/oc, Antec Trupower 750w, Coolermaster Haf 922 with side window (if I get the P8P67 M Pro) or eighter a Coolermaster elite 430 or the Coolermaster centurion II red edition (if I get the sabertooth)

And top of that do you think a 750w PSU will be enough?

I don't know about the mobo. You should wait for some of the more experienced.

But the powersupply should plenty, though you would need a bigger one, if you plan on sli'ing that 580.

And why are you getting 4 sticks of 2GB RAM? I'm sure the price is about the same for 2x4gb sticks.

I think the Sabertooth will offer slightly more headroom than the P8P67 M Pro .. If you are going for extreme OC, records and such..get the sabertooth. This is my experience with boards. If you can get the sabertooth i say go for it. its got a lot of features. But after I read OCC's P67 Roundup I vote for P8P67 Deluxe if you can afford it, If not the TUF wont fail ya.

As for the PSU get a 850 watt if you plan to Add another 580 as suggested by Minty. About the case, its either the Looks or the OC. Which one do you prefer ?

Answer that and you'll know what to buy.

To help you a bit, Most people care about the looks at first and then never look at the case again :D ... so if you like to show off and do that kind of stuff get the 922 if you are humbler than that, any case will do, provided it delivers enough airflow.

One more thing, get a 212+ or any other, not too expensive cooler. Sandy Bridge will overclock under any thing.

Edited by N.E.A

I think the Sabertooth will offer slightly more headroom than the P8P67 M Pro .. If you are going for extreme OC, records and such..get the sabertooth. This is my experience with boards. If you can get the sabertooth i say go for it. its got a lot of features. But after I read OCC's P67 Roundup I vote for P8P67 Deluxe if you can afford it, If not the TUF wont fail ya.

As for the PSU get a 850 watt if you plan to Add another 580 as suggested by Minty. About the case, its either the Looks or the OC. Which one do you prefer ?

To help you a bit, Most people care about the looks at first and then never look at the case again :D ... so if you like to show off and do that kind of stuff get the 922 if you are humbler than that, any case will do, provided it delivers enough airflow.

One more thing, get a 212+ or any other, not too expensive cooler. Sandy Bridge will overclock under any thing.

Thanks for the feedback :) I found a 850w psu with 70a to 12v rails but it say that it's maximum power is 750w is this good for a gtx 580 or not also I went with the 430 elite because of it airflow, it docent have the best cable management but I figure it'll be fine because the psu is fully modular; also are you sure about the hyper 212 + can it give me a 4+ OC?

Ohh and almost forgot I I get the hyper 212 should I get better fans for it?

Thanks for the feedback :) I found a 850w psu with 70a to 12v rails but it say that it's maximum power is 750w is this good for a gtx 580 or not also I went with the 430 elite because of it airflow, it docent have the best cable management but I figure it'll be fine because the psu is fully modular; also are you sure about the hyper 212 + can it give me a 4+ OC?

I am not 100% sure about 4+ OC maybe some one who tried it can help, you can get a CM V8 or V6GT surely one of those will get you there. 750 watt is good for one 580, have you looked at CM 690 II advanced. or CM enforcer. they look good and will provide neat cable management features. and they do not cost too much. there is also CM Storm Scout. and Antec 902

Ohh and almost forgot I I get the hyper 212 should I get better fans for it?

Yes definitely add more fans to it.

Hyper 212+ cm 430 elite oc i5 2500k 4.3ghz dual sli 560s temps cap at 60c cards 50c CPU benching furmark I've hit 75C on cards but I have modded my case a little.

Cable management is the proverbial female dog but is possible one very bad thing about it is the damn front port audio only just reached the pins on my mobo in the very bottom left (standard atx) because I routed it behind and through a hole in the mobo tray.

All in all a good case with decent enough cooling if you fill the fan spots and get a 140mm in the front also the nzxt sentry mesh fan controller looks seamless in the case, if you want a fan controller.

Edit: I am only running one fan (stock) on my 212+ idle sub 30C on 4.3GHz OC a second would improve that also.

Edited by Stonerboy779

Hyper 212+ cm 430 elite oc i5 2500k 4.3ghz dual sli 560s temps cap at 60c cards 50c CPU benching furmark I've hit 75C on cards but I have modded my case a little.

Cable management is the proverbial female dog but is possible one very bad thing about it is the damn front port audio only just reached the pins on my mobo in the very bottom left (standard atx) because I routed it behind and through a hole in the mobo tray.

All in all a good case with decent enough cooling if you fill the fan spots and get a 140mm in the front also the nzxt sentry mesh fan controller looks seamless in the case, if you want a fan controller.

Edit: I am only running one fan (stock) on my 212+ idle sub 30C on 4.3GHz OC a second would improve that also.

then you should be fine with one fan on the 212+ or add another one if does not satisfy your needs.