Worried about temps @ 3.6GHz

hawkin90

Hey. Just a thread to calm my nerves a bit.

My i7-960 OC'd to 3.6GHz, 1.2V and it's idle core temps are 55-60. Yes, idle.

graphics: EVGA GTX 480 SLI

cooling: Coolit ECO ALC Locked

12GB RAM Corsair @ 1600MHz

ASUS Rampage III Extreme

I used to have it clocked to 4GHz with a 1.33V and the temps were almost the same.

I'm wondering if the heat from the 480's is the reason. I mean, these cards are terribly hot.

I'm getting a couple of 580's in some days (MSI frozr) which should at least be a little better (both temps and performance)

I might just be overreacting, but I always see people talking about idle temps down in the 30's and mine are almost at 60. Bad cooling?

Any tips?

Remove the block clean both its surface and the cpu with something 100% alcohol, consider draining and refilling the cooler and get a can of compressed air and blow out everything possible from the rad.

Then post the temps after.

Yes make sure it is proper distiller water an not just deionized water. And pick up a silver kill coil as well.

You can flush your tubes and radiator with warm mildly soapy water. Just make sure it is ringed clear properly after.

Everything you need can be gotten from somewhere like frozencpu if your having no luck finding things.

Remove the block clean both its surface and the cpu with something 100% alcohol, consider draining and refilling the cooler and get a can of compressed air and blow out everything possible from the rad.

Then post the temps after.

Pure Alcohol lol?

Don't pull apart the ECO ALC! You can't put it back together without replacing the tubing and unless you have a reservoir you'll NEVER get it full again.

Make sure the pump is running off of a straight 12v line so it runs full speed. Same thing for the fan (at least at first).

Edited by Waco

Dusting is good. DO that to everything all the time.

I am using a Prolima tech Megahalems that has my I7 920 overclocked to 4.0ghz. im idleing at 45-50c after everything heats up and that is with two GTX480s under it and is in a poorly ventilated Haf932. (missing lots of fans) Now granted the Highest gaming load temp on Crysis wars with a big graphical mod was 65c hottest but that is not bad. I just have a lingering heat issue.

What kind of case do you have. This is important. If its not well ventilated the GTX 480's are going to heat up everything inside.

Most people disregard the case but this is very important especially when dealing with overheating. you need to stuff hair in. and Blow it out. The case disign will determine what kind of fan objective you need. If its anything like a Haf932 or antec lanboy full of holes and mesh most of the fans need to be intake and the top rear and top fans need to be exhaust. If it is a sealed case unlike the ones above and does not have much mesh except for where the fans grilles then more exhaust fans help to keep the air moving out of the case.

Dusting is good. DO that to everything all the time.

I am using a Prolima tech Megahalems that has my I7 920 overclocked to 4.0ghz. im idleing at 45-50c after everything heats up and that is with two GTX480s under it and is in a poorly ventilated Haf932. (missing lots of fans) Now granted the Highest gaming load temp on Crysis wars with a big graphical mod was 65c hottest but that is not bad. I just have a lingering heat issue.

What kind of case do you have. This is important. If its not well ventilated the GTX 480's are going to heat up everything inside.

Most people disregard the case but this is very important especially when dealing with overheating. you need to stuff hair in. and Blow it out. The case disign will determine what kind of fan objective you need. If its anything like a Haf932 or antec lanboy full of holes and mesh most of the fans need to be intake and the top rear and top fans need to be exhaust. If it is a sealed case unlike the ones above and does not have much mesh except for where the fans grilles then more exhaust fans help to keep the air moving out of the case.

It's a CM storm sniper black edition.

I took a better look at the Eco. I am curious where you have the fan header plugged into for the pumps power. is it plugged into the power supply directly or is it on the motherboard header. Only reason I ask is the motherboard could be limiting the RPM of the pump due to fan controller software. If the Q fan control is turned on then turn it off and see what happens. That may speed up the pump and give you some better temps.

As far as fans go:

I would get 5 120mm fans, One for the bottom, two for the top and two for push pull on the eco. I would keep the Eco mounted where it is. I would place a pair of This Blademaster on the eco to get it venting good and buy a PWM splitter for the Motherboard's cpu fan Header to operate both at the same time. After that you should be getting the most out of that case and your self contained water cooling system.

I would personally go with this fan, CM R4 for the normal case fans but you can use just about anything above 60cfm and see a case venting improvement. Scythe would be an option but they tend to be a bit noisy.

My 2 cents, Boinker.

Good luck.

Pure Alcohol lol?

Hell yeah :cheers: it's good for the drinking....

I pretty much soaked my 2500k in mineral turps. That was after a bubble, in the tube of thermal paste, literaly blew stuff everywhere :angry: grrr Could of ended really bad but now it has fun sitting at 4.3GHz all day long :happy:

I am curious, you made no mention of your load temps. Do you have those numbers as well? You see I am wonder if your system is truly idle, something running in the background perhaps. I ask this because I had someone approach me with a similar issue and we discovered that he had folding running in the tray and hidden and had forgotten about it.