Headphones and soundcard help

GaiusMaxwell

Im in the market for a set of good headphones for gaming (Mainly) but would also like nice sound to listen to music and watch movies.

My price range is $150-160, that's about absolute maximum and if my best option is a $100 headset, i'll take it.

Here lies my problem though, I want/need the headset to have a black and red theme to it (like the TT esports shock one, but i've heard they are trash) as everything else I have is themed this way (My aivia red keyboard, CM storm inferno mouse, NZXT hades case modded to add more red, Samsung 24" LED LCD with a red underglow etc etc), Is there a decent headset out there with this colour scheme in my price-range? I would also consider just plain black as a last option.

On the soundcard front, I have an SB audigy already installed - I have no idea if this is good or not, I included soundcard in the title because I didnt know if my best option would be $100 headset + $50 soundcard (if mine is trash).

I am also not worried about whether the headset has a mic or not, As I use a desktop mic currently.

TL;DR Headset (with or without mic) with a black/red colour scheme for gaming and music in the $160 price range (inc. soundcard if mine is trash).

Edited by Whatislove

I would consider this:

Do you want quality of sound as a priority, or design? You'll likely be hard pushed to find something so specific that does a good job, unless you plump for something plain black in my opinion.

I would consider this:

Do you want quality of sound as a priority, or design? You'll likely be hard pushed to find something so specific that does a good job, unless you plump for something plain black in my opinion.

I'd say design as a priority, aslong as I'm not paying $150 for a piece of art with no function what-so-ever.

I'm happy to not have perfect, crystal clear high's and low's, I'd also prefer comfort > overall sound quality as Ill be wearing these things for 4-6 hours at a time.

I would settle for straight black, there are also other variations that I would consider, e.g AudioFX pro 5+1

I had come to the conclusion my choices were basically:

http://www.skycomp.com.au/item/AudioFX-Pro-5-1-Force-Feedback-Gaming-Headset.aspx or

http://www.skycomp.com.au/item/TteSports-by-Thermaltake-SHOCK-ONE-Foldable-DTS-5-1-Gaming-Headset-with-Microphone-USB.aspx

But I upped my budget and was hoping for more options as I've heard the shock ones are comfortable but have pretty atrocious sound quality and the audioFX pros have pretty good sound quality but are uncomfortable (tight on the head, and I have a big head)

I was considering Siberia V2's but they look awfully plain to me, I had been browsing this forum and the web and just can't find a good place to really compare headsets so I was hoping trusty OCC could swoop in with a perfect match to what i was looking for (slightly optomistic i know)

Edited by Whatislove

I'd say design as a priority, aslong as I'm not paying $150 for a piece of art with no function what-so-ever.

I'm happy to not have perfect, crystal clear high's and low's, I'd also prefer comfort > overall sound quality as Ill be wearing these things for 4-6 hours at a time.

I would settle for straight black, there are also other variations that I would consider, e.g AudioFX pro 5+1

I had come to the conclusion my choices were basically:

http://www.skycomp.com.au/item/AudioFX-Pro-5-1-Force-Feedback-Gaming-Headset.aspx or

http://www.skycomp.com.au/item/TteSports-by-Thermaltake-SHOCK-ONE-Foldable-DTS-5-1-Gaming-Headset-with-Microphone-USB.aspx

But I upped my budget and was hoping for more options as I've heard the shock ones are comfortable but have pretty atrocious sound quality and the audioFX pros have pretty good sound quality but are uncomfortable (tight on the head, and I have a big head)

I was considering Siberia V2's but they look awfully plain to me, I had been browsing this forum and the web and just can't find a good place to really compare headsets so I was hoping trusty OCC could swoop in with a perfect match to what i was looking for (slightly optomistic i know)

Looks to me like you want gaming surround and true 5.1 at that not virtual is that correct?

Looks to me like you want gaming surround and true 5.1 at that not virtual is that correct?

I really wish I could give you a solid answer but I don't really care if it's 5.1, stereo, 7.1 or whatever, I use a stereo headset currently, I've heard 5.1 is better for gaming and that's mainly what ill be doing (mainly TF2 and CSS for FPS games).

I really have no preference on that front.

The 2 headset's I linked were just headset's in my price-range that I thought might be decent, I am really out of touch with the audio side of things.

EDIT: My design goals come down to basically just not wanting a huge headset that glows bright blue or green (like most razor headsets) as I think it would just look ridiculously out of place and I am kind of OCD when it comes to colour coordination. Im sure plain black would work just fine.

Edited by Whatislove

I really wish I could give you a solid answer but I don't really care if it's 5.1, stereo, 7.1 or whatever, I use a stereo headset currently, I've heard 5.1 is better for gaming and that's mainly what ill be doing (mainly TF2 and CSS for FPS games).

I really have no preference on that front.

The 2 headset's I linked were just headset's in my price-range that I thought might be decent, I am really out of touch with the audio side of things.

Well 5.1 is really only good and worth it if you are going to spend outside your budget. Take for example a mid range headset from a company like sennhiser or audio-technia. Now you will be able to get a really great high fidellity hedset from them 2.0 of course now if you wanted to match that quality in a 5.1 headset you would need to spend a great deal more. The 5.1 sets have 4 drivers in aech ear each one representing more money.

My suggestion is look at some headphones from audio-technia (ad-700) and sennhiser (hd515).

You just need to make a descion, as to wether or not you are more base biased in your listening or prefer more highs.

Well 5.1 is really only good and worth it if you are going to spend outside your budget. Take for example a mid range headset from a company like sennhiser or audio-technia. Now you will be able to get a really great high fidellity hedset from them 2.0 of course now if you wanted to match that quality in a 5.1 headset you would need to spend a great deal more. The 5.1 sets have 4 drivers in aech ear each one representing more money.

My suggestion is look at some headphones from audio-technia (ad-700) and sennhiser (hd515).

You just need to make a descion, as to wether or not you are more base biased in your listening or prefer more highs.

I will check both of those out, thanks.

On my preference, I'm probably biased towards bass, I mainly listen to trance and house music (and gaming) so crystal clear high's aren't really a huge concern for me, I just don't want to have a headset that is nothing BUT bass and all you can hear is a mad rumble no matter what you are listening to.

How did I not see this before you're an aussie :biggrin: Where you based op?

Newcastle, NSW.

I usually buy all my stuff from skycomp.com.au but they are really skint on audio stuff.

I would consider going out of my price-range if there was a really good set you could recommend, not crazy out of it, but up to around $220.

Edited by Whatislove

Newcastle, NSW.

I usually buy all my stuff from skycomp.com.au but they are really skint on audio stuff.

I would consider going out of my price-range if there was a really good set you could recommend, not crazy out of it, but up to around $220.

Okay try PCCaseGear.com they ship aus wide.

20min drive from me :thumbsup:

But they stock well on sound gear and a alright prices too.

More Highs

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1156&products_id=15660

Deeper lows

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1219&products_id=17433

Or these if you want to stretch to $200

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=116_1219&products_id=17250

I would suggest go the 595s but not everyone is a fan of the open design. I would try and find a pair or some 515s or 555s to listen to, before you make a descion.

Edited by Stonerboy779

If you are not too worried about the mic I would get theShock Spin. We we did our review of the Shock headsets we found that the Spin has some serious incredible sound quality and then add in the low cost and they are simply amazing. I work with sound a lot as you can imagine from the radio show and so a good headset is a must. The Spin are just incredible, easily rivaling some Sennheiser and Gato sets I have used over the years.

If you want good sound and a great mic then I suggest Plantronic Gamecons. These are the gheadsets I use for gaming and when I have to do some voice over work at home. The noise cancelling on the mic is awesome and the sound is really good, not as good as the Spin but better than the Shock One.

Here is the real bonus, both of these cost less than the ones you are looking at. :popcorn:

If you are not too worried about the mic I would get theShock Spin. We we did our review of the Shock headsets we found that the Spin has some serious incredible sound quality and then add in the low cost and they are simply amazing. I work with sound a lot as you can imagine from the radio show and so a good headset is a must. The Spin are just incredible, easily rivaling some Sennheiser and Gato sets I have used over the years.

If you want good sound and a great mic then I suggest Plantronic Gamecons. These are the gheadsets I use for gaming and when I have to do some voice over work at home. The noise cancelling on the mic is awesome and the sound is really good, not as good as the Spin but better than the Shock One.

Here is the real bonus, both of these cost less than the ones you are looking at. :popcorn:

Ed what do you think of the virtual surround of the gamecon 777s because the op can get them for $69

I haven't used any plantronics stuff yet sadly but I have been hearing good things even though their entire range is below the $150 mark. It seams strange to me.