Headphones and soundcard help

GaiusMaxwell

Ed what do you think of the virtual surround of the gamecon 777s because the op can get them for $69

I haven't used any plantronics stuff yet sadly but I have been hearing good things even though their entire range is below the $150 mark. It seams strange to me.

The first headset I ever had was a plantronics, one of the lower end ones, the plastic snapped after about a years of use but I can still remember them being the best headset ive ever owned, comfort was A+ and in comparison to my current ozone oxids (and whatever I had before these, cant remember) their sound quality was miles ahead (and they were all the same price range).

I was looking at the 777's but I hadn't heard great things about virtual 7.1 (though i havent read up on plantronics virtual 7.1, just virtual 7.1 in general).

The first headset I ever had was a plantronics, one of the lower end ones, the plastic snapped after about a years of use but I can still remember them being the best headset ive ever owned, comfort was A+ and in comparison to my current ozone oxids (and whatever I had before these, cant remember) their sound quality was miles ahead (and they were all the same price range).

I was looking at the 777's but I hadn't heard great things about virtual 7.1 (though i havent read up on plantronics virtual 7.1, just virtual 7.1 in general).

If your still interested in surround, buy the 777s at $69 they are a steal, they retail on plantronics own website for $99 and I have seen them for $110 and even $120 elsewhere.

I don't think it would hurt, to buy them and then sell them, at what you paid or even at a profit if they don't blow you away.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15283 here you go

Edited by Stonerboy779

If your still interested in surround, buy the 777s at $69 they are a steal, they retail on plantronics own website for $99 and I have seen them for $110 and even $120 elsewhere.

I don't think it would hurt, to buy them and then sell them, at what you paid or even at a profit if they don't blow you away.

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=15283 here you go

I just added them into my cart on skycomp for $74 (im ordering a gfx card and some ram from them tomorrow so ill add these in at no extra shipping charge), I didnt relise they were so cheap

Ed what do you think of the virtual surround of the gamecon 777s because the op can get them for $69

I haven't used any plantronics stuff yet sadly but I have been hearing good things even though their entire range is below the $150 mark. It seams strange to me.

I have not seen them in action personally but I do recall reviewing the first USB headset they released and being pretty impressed. Unless he NEEDS to the USB connectivity I would save the money and get the straight analog headphones.

Plantronics ia a major player in the headset world outside the PC. When Armstrong landed on the moon the headset they uses in the helmets and on the Apollo space craft where Plantronics.

Based on my experience with them over the years here is my overall observations.

1) Sound Quality: Plantronics is solidly middle of the road, while not having the amazing sound of a Sennhieser or Gato they are still a solid sounding headset, better than many on the market.

2) Mic Quality: Plantronics are on TOP of the headset mic field when it comes to computer headsets. With a good soundcard for input I am able to achieve voice quality close to what I can pull off in the studio.

3) Comfort: I have found them right up there with the best in comfort every set I have had. I have had more comfortable headsets but not many.

4) Durability: The headsets I have used plant them squarely in the middle of the road. I use my headsets a LOT and I typically get 2 years out of a Plantronics headset. I have had more durable headsets but I have seen a lot of other break way easier.

5) Value: Bar none the best overall value that I have found over the years. Their pricing is reasonable and for their price point I have found none better.

Now all that being said let me stress as someone that uses headsets as part of my everyday routine I can tell you that you first need to determine your need. What I mean is if you are more worried about what you hear than what your voice sounds like on comms you should look for a different headset than if you want great voice quality.

For pure listening please, right now my choice of headset is theTteSport Shock Spin. These headsets might say they are designed for gaming but they LIE. These are amazing all round headphones that deliver incredible sound for the money. Music, movies, games, heck even Kim Komando sounds good on these :thumbsup: The mic can work in a pinch and is not awful but the strength of this is the headset for sure.

For voice work or a balance between voice and sound I would go with thePlantronic Gamecons, the offer a good balance of abilities with the mic being the stronger side of the equation. The sound is solid just not as good at the Spins.

Okay now you guys have me thinking I need to do a proper headset comparision for the show :snap:

Ended up ordering through pccasegear as they had the 560ti I wanted instock (Gainward golden sample, black with red fans /slurp).

Postage was 12 bucks but i ended up paying $6 extra for express premium and It arrived the next day! before 10am, less than 24 hour delivery for 18 bucks... I'm impressed and I'll be using these guys from now on, so thanks for that recommendation.

Onto the plantronics, I've been using them for about an hour now and they are already miles ahead of the my previous sets, sound quality is great, it lacks a tiny bit on big boomy bass (which I don't mind, all my previous headsets were bass heavy), it's more "intelligent" bass, you can actually hear the sounds not just a big rumbly mess.

Mid's and high's are great and the dolby sorround isn't quite perfect 5.1, it makes the sound more "spacious" if you know what I mean, One review put it nicely and I'd have to agree, "it makes it sound as if the audio is coming from every direction", like you're in a room with a 5.1 system set up and you're standing in the middle of it with the music turned up, if it weren't for actually wearing the headset, you wouldn't be able to tell if the sound was coming from the headset or from your room.

They are mega comfortable too, even though they are quite tight to start with, the big pads are more than enough and if I remember correctly, it took about a week for my old set of plantronics to loosen up.

Edited by Whatislove

Ended up ordering through pccasegear as they had the 560ti I wanted instock (Gainward golden sample, black with red fans /slurp).

Postage was 12 bucks but i ended up paying $6 extra for express premium and It arrived the next day! before 10am, less than 24 hour delivery for 18 bucks... I'm impressed and I'll be using these guys from now on, so thanks for that recommendation.

Onto the plantronics, I've been using them for about an hour now and they are already miles ahead of the my previous sets, sound quality is great, it lacks a tiny bit on big boomy bass (which I don't mind, all my previous headsets were bass heavy), it's more "intelligent" bass, you can actually hear the sounds not just a big rumbly mess.

Mid's and high's are great and the dolby sorround isn't quite perfect 5.1, it makes the sound more "spacious" if you know what I mean, One review put it nicely and I'd have to agree, "it makes it sound as if the audio is coming from every direction", like you're in a room with a 5.1 system set up and you're standing in the middle of it with the music turned up, if it weren't for actually wearing the headset, you wouldn't be able to tell if the sound was coming from the headset or from your room.

They are mega comfortable too, even though they are quite tight to start with, the big pads are more than enough and if I remember correctly, it took about a week for my old set of plantronics to loosen up.

That's all good to hear. My suggestion, run a splitter from the audio out and run a sub at the same time as the headphones unless you can run two simultaneous audio outs on your sound card.

If my experience is anything to go by you will end up spending too much at pccasegear, but its all good. Enjoy the headset let me know how they are after a month or two I may get them as a 5.1 set.

That's all good to hear. My suggestion, run a splitter from the audio out and run a sub at the same time as the headphones unless you can run two simultaneous audio outs on your sound card.

If my experience is anything to go by you will end up spending too much at pccasegear, but its all good. Enjoy the headset let me know how they are after a month or two I may get them as a 5.1 set.

I already set up a wishlist cart (about $1100), You never know, I might win the lottery tomorrow :P

Sorry for interrupting this topic but I have a question that is related to it. What are the Advantages of 5.1 over stereo headsets ?! is it worth it ?!

I am Considering Thermaltake Shock One 5.1 and Thermaltake Shock stereo...I just do not want to spend money on something that I do need or experience.

Also what is the big deal about real 5.1 and virtual 5.1 ?

Edited by N.E.A

Sorry for interrupting this topic but I have a question that is related to it. What are the Advantages of 5.1 over stereo headsets ?! is it worth it ?!

I am Considering Thermaltake Shock One 5.1 and Thermaltake Shock stereo...I just do not want to spend money on something that I do need or experience.

Also what is the big deal about real 5.1 and virtual 5.1 ?

I could tell you many different things for and against but in reality in terms if sound it comes down to quality and ones own preferences.

Go to a store and just try out different sets speakers and headphones 5.1 virtual 5.1 and stereo ect.