Overheated 6870?

SkytTe

Hi there. My system specs are in my signature.

According to severel reviews the ASUS 6870 DirectCU edition should be able to run BF Bad Company II with the highest settings.

When I run it, it has some occasional lags and today the first computer crash. I have been able to read the temps from GPU-Z to a max temp of 73 C, when played BC II for 15 minutes, which by my impression is fine. (Correct me if I'm wrong). So does anyone know what might cause this spikey performance?

Keep in mind: I run everything at stock, nothing's OC'd! :happy:

EDIT: My resolution is 1680x1050!

Edited by SkytTe

Hi there. My system specs are in my signature.

According to severel reviews the ASUS 6870 DirectCU edition should be able to run BF Bad Company II with the highest settings.

When I run it, it has some occasional lags and today the first computer crash. I have been able to read the temps from GPU-Z to a max temp of 73 C, when played BC II for 15 minutes, which by my impression is fine. (Correct me if I'm wrong). So does anyone know what might cause this spikey performance?

Keep in mind: I run everything at stock, nothing's OC'd! :happy:

EDIT: My resolution is 1680x1050!

it doesnt seem like your GPUI overheated because 73C is jst fine. when it crashed did u get a BSOD? what was the error on the BSOD?

it doesnt seem like your GPUI overheated because 73C is jst fine. when it crashed did u get a BSOD? what was the error on the BSOD?

It just froze, couldn't do anything. Had to restart system..

how long have you had this card and what PSU are you using? If your PSU is failing or isnt good it can cause low frame rates and crashing.

Edited by Tazman167

I have the same card and i've had a problem with bc2 freezing after about 10 minutes in game. I finally realized it was because I ran Sapphire TriXX in the background, now everytime I want to play bc2 I just close the TriXX application.

Do you have something similar running on your machine?

Edited by Heeron

how long have you had this card and what PSU are you using? If your PSU is failing or isnt good it can cause low frame rates and crashing.

I think this will make it 3 weeks or so.. I bought whole new system, so all my hardware is brand new.

I'm using a Corsair TX650 V2. I doubt it's the PSU though.

I have the same card and i've had a problem with bc2 freezing after about 10 minutes in game. I finally realized it was because I ran Sapphire TriXX in the background, now everytime I want to play bc2 I just close the TriXX application.

Do you have something similar running on your machine?

I have no such thing running. I seem to run the game just fine, and no spikes or lags at all, but eventually it just does one big lag, and then I continue gaming. (Gets me killed most of the times :()

And then this morning it also made a complete big freeze, where i had to reboot.

Are you running anything in the background? Its also possible your CPU is overheating and causing the crash.

Are you using the AMD stock cooler and OCing?

Edited by Black6464

Are you running anything in the background? Its also possible your CPU is overheating and causing the crash.

Are you using the AMD stock cooler and OCing?

Nope I'm not.. Except Skype, but that doesn't change a thing.

I'm not OC'ing and I'm using the stock cooler, yes.

I've been having this exact same problem for ages, after about 5 to 10 mins play time the screen freezes and I have to restart my pc. Maybe it's something to do with the game and not hardware?

I've been having this exact same problem for ages, after about 5 to 10 mins play time the screen freezes and I have to restart my pc. Maybe it's something to do with the game and not hardware?

From what I understand about BC2, Punkbuster likes to conflict with OC software. Someone mentioned having to close Trixx while playing it and in my personal experience I have to close part of the CCC AI to get BC2 to run. It also hates my crossfire setup and will occasionally split the screen and get all flickery. There are a lot of workarounds to this problem since it comes in so many flavors. Just keep trying things until it works. My solution to my set of problems was: 1. Turn down CCC AI to performance rather than quality. 2. Turn off crossfire. 3. Turn crossfire back on. After those three steps I can play for hours without any problems at all.

Hope you find something that works!

Silas

From what I understand about BC2, Punkbuster likes to conflict with OC software. Someone mentioned having to close Trixx while playing it and in my personal experience I have to close part of the CCC AI to get BC2 to run. It also hates my crossfire setup and will occasionally split the screen and get all flickery. There are a lot of workarounds to this problem since it comes in so many flavors. Just keep trying things until it works. My solution to my set of problems was: 1. Turn down CCC AI to performance rather than quality. 2. Turn off crossfire. 3. Turn crossfire back on. After those three steps I can play for hours without any problems at all.

Hope you find something that works!

Silas

your right i had the same prob with my 6870 but what fixed it was renaming a msi afterburner file i forgot exactly wich one but it is a problem with overclocking software.