Need help overclocking i7 950 to 4.2ghz

950's DO NOT NEED 1.55 volts at 4.2Ghz. I have no idea what you guys are smoking in this thread... 950's will need in the area of 1.35V. +/- .25V.

Dr, what ccokeman was saying is that all i7 chips are different. That one 950 may only need 1.3v while another may need 1.4v to get to a certain clock, not that it will need 1.55v to get there! Sometimes you are terrible at figuring out exactly what another forum member is trying to say, before getting condescending towards their post. Especially when I am sure that you will agree that every chip, even in the same lineup will OC differently, and need different settings! I mean both of our 930's hit 4.5GHz+, but not every 930 out there can OC that high :evilgrin:

Dr, what ccokeman was saying is that all i7 chips are different. That one 950 may only need 1.3v while another may need 1.4v to get to a certain clock, not that it will need 1.55v to get there! Sometimes you are terrible at figuring out exactly what another forum member is trying to say, before getting condescending towards their post. Especially when I am sure that you will agree that every chip, even in the same lineup will OC differently, and need different settings! I mean both of our 930's hit 4.5GHz+, but not every 930 out there can OC that high :evilgrin:

If i could plus one a reviewer I would.

All chips are different but they do not fluctuate that much. 950's overclock on less voltage than 930's easily. Haven't seen a user that needed more..And BTW, jumping to 4.2GHz is not the way to overclock the chip. He needs to find max overclock at stock voltage stable. Then creep up from there. By finding max OC at stock voltage will tell the tale of his chip..... He is going about it the wrong way and I am professionally questioning his technique.....

OP find max OC at stock and slowly take it from there. Speedy is saying chips are different. this is the most effective technique. Keep memory at stock till you find your 4.2GHz..

Edited by Drdeath

I won't call out anyone by name - but a recommendation to leave QPI voltage on auto is a completely wrong recommendation when dealing with the x58 board and overclocking, especially when using lots of memory (i.e. 12Gb), when overclocking memory, or when running very high speed memory i.e. DDR3 1866 or DDR3 2000.

Every x58 board I've played with WAY over-volted the QPI when you started pushing the overclock if left on "Auto" setting. With that being said, regardless of CPU capability or speed/density of RAM used - if you're overclocking the x58 board you need to start out with a QPI of 1.25 or so minimum and work your way up from there. Hitting 4.0 - 4.2Ghz may require a QPI voltage upwards of 1.32v or higher to get stable.

And as most have said here, determining the exact amount of cpu vcore required is all trial and error. If you've got an i7 950 that will do 4.2Ghz at 1.35v hey more power to you. But assuredly not everyone will be so lucky.

One thing I haven't seen mention is the affect of Hyperthreading on temps when you start overclocking. Hyperthreading enabled AND heavy overclocking of your i7 processor will add significant amounts of heat that not even the hardiest of water cooling kits can deal with sometimes. I strongly encourage anyone that wants to run their i7 at 4.2Ghz 24/7 on even very good cooling consider disabling HT. You'll also notice that you can reduce your cpu vcore by about .02 to .04v with HT disabled.

The other challenge here is the high density 12Gb RAM kit. This puts a real load on the IMC. For example, I can get an extra .3Ghz out of my i7 950 when I'm only running 6Gb instead of 12Gb.

Ok guys so I'm running stable at 4ghz with these voltages (Temps Low 80's under heavy load). I can def hit 4.2ghz with a higher cpu voltage, but the temps get a little to high. Low 90's under heavy load. I ordered Arctic mx-4 and I'm going to re seal the H50. Hopefully temps will be lower.

Cpu Voltage - 1.28

Cpu PLL Voltage - 1.85

QPI/DRAM Core voltage - 1.28

DRAM Bus voltage - 1.60

Still running with HT enabled then? From the temps it appears so. Your voltages look good for 4.0Ghz.

Your temps are above my comfort zone though. I like to keep my i7s no higher than mid 70s full stress max temp.

Still running with HT enabled then? From the temps it appears so. Your voltages look good for 4.0Ghz.

Your temps are above my comfort zone though. I like to keep my i7s no higher than mid 70s full stress max temp.

Yes I have HT enabled I think. Should I disable? I'm going to adjust my H50 also with new thermal paste, hopefully that will drop temps.

The answer to whether you should or shouldn't disable Hyper Threading will generate a large range of responses. Much of the "right" answer depends on how much you do on your computer that takes advantage of HT Technology. There are many tasks and applications that can make good use of virtual threads, then many others that can't or don't very well.

The primary reason I bring it up as an option is that disabling HT WILL decrease your CPU temps, even if only marginally. And in my personal experience you can run the same cpu frequency at about .02 or .03v less if you disable HT. My best suggestion is to try it both ways and see what option is the best for you. HT can easily be enabled or disabled through your BIOS menu with absolutely no ill affect on your operating system.

I'm going to adjust my H50 also with new thermal paste, hopefully that will drop temps.

Just to give you a heads up, Corsair uses Shin-Etsu TIM stock on the H50. You aren't going to see any difference with the MX4 from the Shin-Etsu, as they are both good!

Ok guys so I'm running stable at 4ghz with these voltages (Temps Low 80's under heavy load). I can def hit 4.2ghz with a higher cpu voltage, but the temps get a little to high. Low 90's under heavy load. I ordered Arctic mx-4 and I'm going to re seal the H50. Hopefully temps will be lower.

Cpu Voltage - 1.28

Cpu PLL Voltage - 1.85

QPI/DRAM Core voltage - 1.28

DRAM Bus voltage - 1.60

those temps are way high........ For your voltage especially. Under water I run low 80's under load at 1.4V on vcore......

The H50 will not hold him back Boinker.

those temps are way high........ For your voltage especially. Under water I run low 80's under load at 1.4V on vcore......

Yeah.. Make sure the H50 is seated properly. I know with that cooler there is little margin for an error but still double check the work and get some new tim to see if that helps or the tim you "had" on it was defective. Just make sure after you change the tim go into the Bios and make sure its not over temping in the bios.

Good luck.

Yeah.. Make sure the H50 is seated properly. I know with that cooler there is little margin for an error but still double check the work and get some new tim to see if that helps or the tim you "had" on it was defective. Just make sure after you change the tim go into the Bios and make sure its not over temping in the bios.

Good luck.

+1 Boink