Downloads Page

neb1211

I help with a clan that has a downloads page. When new patches come out others that arn't in the clan come to download from the site as well. Is there a way that I can give first priority to the clan members by having them enter their username and password then they get to download, right away. Then with everyone else would have to wait in line until some of the clan members are done. It will give first priority to the clan members and then when there is room to download then everyone else can. Like a fileplanet or fileshack kinda thing. Thanks a lot in advance for your help.

If fileplanet can do it, you can. How, I have no idea, my guess is PHP or Coldfusion would be the way to do it. You can password protect it completely pretty easily, but I guess you dont want to completely disallow access from other people huh?

like they've said, if fileplanet can do it, then obviously it can be done. As far as how easy it is, that's another question. One possibility...i dunno how you currently have it set up...but you may be able to limit bandwidth based on the username/pword provided. So say you have a maximum bandwidth of 300. You can allocate 200 of it to the username/pword associated with clan members, and only 100 of it to guests. Not the best way of doing what you want...but just a suggestion. Good luck.

You could limit the # of downloads, and reserve some for how ever many members you have. Then the guests have to wait in line to use the public slots. You do it in php. Have something somewhere that keeps a record of the number of users downloading and when it is full, the script stops any further downloads.

Or you could just limit the bandwidth to guest members, and have site members unthrottled. Basically what GameSpy/FilePlanet does, login and get fast download, or download as guest and get a throttled download after standing in line.

Not exactly sure how they do the guest download, I'd say a JavaScript or some type of CGI.

I have a dedicated server running Redhat 9.0 and apache. It uses CPanel and WHM. How would I limit the bandwidth that was available to non members?

Try mod_throttle for apache, that may do what you need.