Crosshair Formula V Physx

Hello,

I hope I'm putting this in the right place. If not please point me in the right direction.

I have a Crosshair Formula V that works splendidly except for one nagging issue involving Physx. If I use my single GTX 480 my computer will boot properly and has no issues what so ever, but if I put in 9800GT (for Physx) it will boot fine the first time, but rebooting will cause the fan (on the 9800 to shoot to 100%) and the comp won't POST. I can correct this by just hitting the reset button. I've tried every possible configuration and I always get the same result. I can run two 9800GT's (SLI) flawlessly, but it is just the combination of the GTX480 and 9800 that causes problems.

I know the simple solution would be to not use the 9800GT, but my biggest concern is for future use of SLI. I have talked with ASUS customer service for the past couple of weeks, but have not had any luck.

I'm thinking it may just be a limitation with the chipset, but i would like to get other people's input.

I appreciate any help. Let me know if you need any more info. I'm having a hard time explaining this. Thanks

it is a Mach 1 1000watt. It not the best, but all the rails are reading what they are supposed to. I checked everything with my multimeter and also used another PSU I had laying around. I don't believe that is the issue, but I've been wrong before.

If the combination of the two is the only time you experience an issue then I would not worry about it. It could be either the BIOS being indecisive about what card to power or the difference in gpus that drives the no post.

As far as I'm concerned the gtx480 is a physx monster so I would either run It alone or with another 480. Normally you get a frame per second out of a physx card or three. Not worth the added card IMHO.

That being said. Depending on what game your playing though. Most all newer GPS and rpg games out right now can be maxed out and a gtx 480 will not even sneeze. Now if your playing mechwarrior living legends as I am you can get another 480 and still gain performance by turning up the settings. Too many effects in that game period.

My thoughts... boinker.

Ok.... I checked the BIOS and there is nothing I can change that makes any difference. Thanks for the advice though.

I did find out though that it only happens after Windows has issued a shutdown command. Restarting In BIOS or after POST, before Windows loads, doesn't cause the problem.

Boinker- You are right about the GTX being more than powerful enough. I guess my biggest concern is that I might have a problem when I run "serious" SLI down the road, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I can afford it. lol

I'm thinking like you, the cards are probably just too different.

Thanks for the help. :thx: I hope maybe I can contribute to helping someone down the road.

I'll post any information that ASUS sends me on the issue.

I

Ok.... I checked the BIOS and there is nothing I can change that makes any difference. Thanks for the advice though.

I did find out though that it only happens after Windows has issued a shutdown command. Restarting In BIOS or after POST, before Windows loads, doesn't cause the problem.

Boinker- You are right about the GTX being more than powerful enough. I guess my biggest concern is that I might have a problem when I run "serious" SLI down the road, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I can afford it. lol

I'm thinking like you, the cards are probably just too different.

Thanks for the help. :thx: I hope maybe I can contribute to helping someone down the road.

I'll post any information that ASUS sends me on the issue.

I

There is an adjustment in the bios. This is most likely the culprit. It should be in the southbridge fsb in Chipset or Advanced. Look again. I tested the board and all AMD motherboards have this option.

There is an adjustment in the bios. This is most likely the culprit. It should be in the southbridge fsb in Chipset or Advanced. Look again. I tested the board and all AMD motherboards have this option.

Do you mean the "Initiate Graphic Adapter" option?

If so, the only option is to set it to "PEG", for PCI-Express Graphics. You cannot choose a particular slot.

If not, then I don't see at all which option you mean. I've just read through the entire manual.

Sorry for the late reply. I have been out of town for a bit.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

I guess I'll just see how it goes when I actually do SLI. Other than that one issue it is a fantastic board.