AC3 Codec movies work in 5.1, but no games will run in 5.1 they are al

djdyna

As the title says, depending on weather the movies are encoded with AC3 they will be played in 5.1 via Windows Media Player at default and VLC (i just have to change audio output in vlc settings) And then it just cuts stereo audio off my PC and goes direct to the 5.1 input of my AMP which is great, to be fair im glad i can ave both audio working in stereo with PC and Amp since i could run a game and my partner could randomly watch with audio too.

Anyway there isnt much i can do in my soundcards audio controll settings nor in windows 7 control sound its already on digital output as the only device listed the rest are not required at are all from Realtek (irrelevant and AMD audio).... Iv'e selected 5.1 in audio in games like Fifa 11 but it still just runs in 2 channels. Is it my amp or the soundcard?

As rivalry said, it requires an ENcoding sound card. When oyu are playing sound over an Optical connection, there is only 2 types of signal supported.

Either, 2 channel PCM sound, or 5.1 encoded sound. Without an ENcoding card, your computer will have no choice but to pass game audio as 2 channel PCM.

I currently have this problem with my media PC. ITs connected to my AMP via HDMI, and when watching DVDs etc, I get full 5.1 surround. When I whack on a game, all I get is 2 channel. However, I have found that my amps surround emulation modes are very very good. So altought it is not as good as actuall surround, it is definately more than enough for some sofa gaming.

If you are looking for an encoding sound card, I cannot recommend my ASUS Xonar D2 enough! Even though it is probably a bit wasted for just encoding. Realistically, you just want to buy the cheapest card that can do DTS interactive.

No.

I have yet to find a Creative card that does ENcoding. The Auzentech Prelude (which uses an X-Fi chip) does ENcoding. (Dolby Digital Live & DTS Interactive)

This card will: ASUS Xonar DX

Can pick em up for about £40. If you want to spend abit more, the Xonar D2 also does DD Live & DTS Interactive.

• 1 year later...

No.

I have yet to find a Creative card that does ENcoding. The Auzentech Prelude (which uses an X-Fi chip) does ENcoding. (Dolby Digital Live & DTS Interactive)

This card will: ASUS Xonar DX

Can pick em up for about £40. If you want to spend abit more, the Xonar D2 also does DD Live & DTS Interactive.

I was wondering, do you know if the Xonar U3 (laptop USB card) does encoding as well for 5.1? I don't see anything on any spec sheets about how much channel support it has, so looking at the box I'd assume it does 2-channel or 2.1 channel.

Edited by phalkon13