First time overclocking, need advice

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One last question, did I burn out the sensors on my MB? Like I said, CPUID, Everest and AMD overdrive are all reporting 0 C on my temp for my cores. What damage does that signify?

Thanks

Silas

One last question, did I burn out the sensors on my MB? Like I said, CPUID, Everest and AMD overdrive are all reporting 0 C on my temp for my cores. What damage does that signify?

Thanks

Silas

how did u manage to do that? can u see temps in the bios? and im pretty sure those programs use the sensor on the CPU itself and not on the mobo

how did u manage to do that? can u see temps in the bios? and im pretty sure those programs use the sensor on the CPU itself and not on the mobo

I would tell you if I knew. It worked before, then for some arbitrary reason it stopped. And I can still see the temps in BIOS, but that doesn't help me too much since I can't monitor it while actively under load. But as I said, not a single HW monitor will detect the core temps anymore. It will show the CPU temp, but that always under-reported the temp before so I don't trust that as much.

Silas

I would tell you if I knew. It worked before, then for some arbitrary reason it stopped. And I can still see the temps in BIOS, but that doesn't help me too much since I can't monitor it while actively under load. But as I said, not a single HW monitor will detect the core temps anymore. It will show the CPU temp, but that always under-reported the temp before so I don't trust that as much.

Silas

hmmm.. ive never seen this happen before so i really wouldnt be able to tell if you hurt your CPU or not but i really doubt that you did.

What operating system are you running? I had almost that exact same system that I OCed and got different results and temps with different OSes.

Edited by pepperpopper

Is ACC on in the bios, that often disables the coretemp sensors from reporting in windows.

Right on brother, that was the issue :thx:

Now, assuming I followed Drdeath's advice, is this the type of numbers I should be using?

Edit, picture didn't post first time

post-78291-0-78815600-1311468234_thumb.jpg

Edited by Silas13013

Right on brother, that was the issue :thx:

Now, assuming I followed Drdeath's advice, is this the type of numbers I should be using?

Edit, picture didn't post first time

looks good except the DRAM frequency looks pretty high if you prime and find it unstable drop it down one step

Edited by Tazman167

looks good except the DRAM frequency looks pretty high if you prime and find it unstable drop it down one step

See that's the thing. I can't even get my computer to start with those numbers. Once I F10 out of BIOS, the computer shuts down and restarts like normal, but I only ever get a black screen in return. Now, the problem might stem from the fact that my motherboard doesn't have its own HDMI or VGA output and I have to rely on my graphics card for video. However, that seems like stretch. Anyway, tl;dr, case fans and LEDs all come on fine but I only ever have a black screen to meet me at reboot.

See that's the thing. I can't even get my computer to start with those numbers. Once I F10 out of BIOS, the computer shuts down and restarts like normal, but I only ever get a black screen in return. Now, the problem might stem from the fact that my motherboard doesn't have its own HDMI or VGA output and I have to rely on my graphics card for video. However, that seems like stretch. Anyway, tl;dr, case fans and LEDs all come on fine but I only ever have a black screen to meet me at reboot.

okay so this is what you do lower your HTT or FSB or what ever its called in your mobo bios back to default then increase it by 10-15MHz at a time and see if it boots. keep doing this till u get the black screeen again and you will know thats your limit. at that point you should start increasing the NB volts since your overclocking using the HTT. by doing this you will find the stablest OC for your system even tho it will take a bit longer to do so.