First time overclocking, need advice

Ok, I've been at this project for almost three days now and I can't for the life of me figure out what to do to get my rig stable. I'm running an AMD phenom II 1075T six core processor 3.0ghz stock, on an Asus M4a79t deluxe motherboard and 4x4gb G. skill RAM with 9-9-9-24 timing.

I set out on my first OC adventure with the hopes of getting my rig to a respectable 4.0ghz. I've seen people go higher on air cooling alone but I figured that 4.0 would be a good place to start. However, the closest I've been able to get is a fairly unstable system running at 3.5ghz. Under prime95 balanced test, it will run about one and a half hours before starting to report errors. Since then, I have given up on trying to go it alone and decided to ask for some much needed help.

So, what advice can you give to some fresh blood like myself? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Silas

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ok, I've been at this project for almost three days now and I can't for the life of me figure out what to do to get my rig stable. I'm running an AMD phenom II 1075T six core processor 3.0ghz stock, on an Asus M4a79t deluxe motherboard and 4x4gb G. skill RAM with 9-9-9-24 timing.

I set out on my first OC adventure with the hopes of getting my rig to a respectable 4.0ghz. I've seen people go higher on air cooling alone but I figured that 4.0 would be a good place to start. However, the closest I've been able to get is a fairly unstable system running at 3.5ghz. Under prime95 balanced test, it will run about one and a half hours before starting to report errors. Since then, I have given up on trying to go it alone and decided to ask for some much needed help.

So, what advice can you give to some fresh blood like myself? Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Silas

what PSU do you have? since your CPU is not unlocked what you should do is put your RAM down one level and try raising the HTT up to get it back to its specified speeds. You may need to increase CPU voltage as well as NB voltage since your overclocking the HTT make sure you keep your HT link speed at 2GHz. What CPU cooler are you using? If your on the stock fan you will have some temp issues that may make the overclock impossible for you.

Disable cool n quiet, C1E. Run your Nortbridge 2400-2600 MHz to start and Hypertransport 2000-2200 MHz. Set your CPU will need 1.45-1.52V for 4GHz. Set CPU/NB voltage 1.3-1.35V. This should get you a start. Keep your load temps under 55

what PSU do you have? since your CPU is not unlocked what you should do is put your RAM down one level and try raising the HTT up to get it back to its specified speeds. You may need to increase CPU voltage as well as NB voltage since your overclocking the HTT make sure you keep your HT link speed at 2GHz. What CPU cooler are you using? If your on the stock fan you will have some temp issues that may make the overclock impossible for you.

:withstupid:

Make sure you lower your memory and aren't pushing it beyond it's overclockability

My PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371022

And I have ordered an aftermarket cooler after (I assume) I burned out my temp reader on my motherboard since every program I use now reads my core temps as 0 C. In the mean time, I am using an 18 inch floor fan to aid in cooling and that has kept temps below 53C under prime95. The new cooler should be here Tuesday so I hope to have my settings figured out by then and then start using it 24/7 once the cooler arrives.

Now my question is, how do I change the settings of the RAM? I've only got 4 options on speed for my ram, one of which is the Auto function, and I never raised it above the lowest setting. I looked for anything labeled multiplier under the RAM settings and nothing popped out to me. What specifically should I be looking for in my BIOS?

Thanks a bunch guys

Silas

My PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371022

And I have ordered an aftermarket cooler after (I assume) I burned out my temp reader on my motherboard since every program I use now reads my core temps as 0 C. In the mean time, I am using an 18 inch floor fan to aid in cooling and that has kept temps below 53C under prime95. The new cooler should be here Tuesday so I hope to have my settings figured out by then and then start using it 24/7 once the cooler arrives.

Now my question is, how do I change the settings of the RAM? I've only got 4 options on speed for my ram, one of which is the Auto function, and I never raised it above the lowest setting. I looked for anything labeled multiplier under the RAM settings and nothing popped out to me. What specifically should I be looking for in my BIOS?

Thanks a bunch guys

Silas

what is your default RAM speed? and are you on DDR2 or DDR3? to make your RAM go down one step if its 1600MHz take it down to 1333MHz then bring it back to the 1600MHz by overclocking. Since u havent changed it from auto that may have been ur cause of instability.

what is your default RAM speed? and are you on DDR2 or DDR3? to make your RAM go down one step if its 1600MHz take it down to 1333MHz then bring it back to the 1600MHz by overclocking. Since u havent changed it from auto that may have been ur cause of instability.

1600MHz DDR3 RAM.

okay so change it manually to 1333MHz and also bring your HT link speed down one step then increase the HTT as high as u need till your RAM is back up to spec it may do a bit more than 1600MHz but probably not by too much. only increase voltage if needed and if you are going to overclock your CPU-NB frequency (wich you should) you can probably hit 2600-2800 with 1.35 volts on that.

Disable cool n quiet, C1E. Run your Nortbridge 2400-2600 MHz to start and Hypertransport 2000-2200 MHz. Set your CPU will need 1.45-1.52V for 4GHz. Set CPU/NB voltage 1.3-1.35V. This should get you a start. Keep your load temps under 55

okay so change it manually to 1333MHz and also bring your HT link speed down one step then increase the HTT as high as u need till your RAM is back up to spec it may do a bit more than 1600MHz but probably not by too much. only increase voltage if needed and if you are going to overclock your CPU-NB frequency (wich you should) you can probably hit 2600-2800 with 1.35 volts on that.

I'll try both of these once I get out of work (I love having a job where it's not only allowed, but encouraged to surf the web at work). My question now is, will the 18 inch floor fan + stock cooler be enough to deal with the increased temps? I'm in my basement so the ambient temp is lower than 30C but is it advisable to run at 4.0GHz without an efficient cooler?

Thanks

Silas

I'll try both of these once I get out of work (I love having a job where it's not only allowed, but encouraged to surf the web at work). My question now is, will the 18 inch floor fan + stock cooler be enough to deal with the increased temps? I'm in my basement so the ambient temp is lower than 30C but is it advisable to run at 4.0GHz without an efficient cooler?

Thanks

Silas

well temps usually increase if you increase the voltage. as long as your temps are below 62C your safe and its almost 34C in my house atm man i hate summer