Help cooling Northbridge

Guest Digy

I had a Crosshair IV Formula and I didnt have any NB cooling problems even when my 1090T was at 4.2GHz . Maybe your board had a crappier Thermal paste job ?

Your temps?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your temps?

28c Idle at 4.4GHz and around 40C to a max of 45C full load at 4,2GHz 1.45v but my case airflow is extreme and that helps when passive cooling is involved . That was with an H70 as an intake with three top extract fan with 4 intake fans in the side of the case.

My money is on either bad TIM job by ASUS or not enough airflow in your case

28c Idle at 4.4GHz and around 40C to a max of 45C full load at 4,2GHz 1.45v but my case airflow is extreme and that helps when passive cooling is involved . That was with an H70 as an intake with three top extract fan with 4 intake fans in the side of the case.

My money is on either bad TIM job by ASUS or not enough airflow in your case

No, please tell us your ambient temps first :P.

Edited by Goth

HAHAHAAAA There you have it folks. :lol:

My ambient is 24 to 26 and i have no front intake or that gizmagsus setup for cooling and my idle is at 46. and that too is because i threw some Cooler Master generic TPU on it. If i put MX-3, may be they will come down more.

First are you experiencing any issues? I mean are you getting blue screens or anything like that? If not then I would not worry about it at all. A lot of the temp measuring programs are not accurate so you could be running cooler than you think.

I would not reverse the chimney fan in the case, that is the primary heat removal route no matter what it may seem, remember heat rises.

If you want extra cooling then I agree the spot cool is a great idea and definitely the way I would go.

As for the Silenx fans, that smell is universal with them and I have never understood why, they just have a stink about them and it never seems to go away. I would however conisder getting new fans for the radiator. SilenX fans have solid numbers for the amount of air they move but their pressure is actually kind of small. You want a fan with a more forceful airmovement to get air through a radiatior. I am seriosuly considering getting some Silverstone Penetrators for testing. They offer a higher pressure air flow, should actually be more effective for radiator application based on the physics.

Finally keep the upper HD bay clear to allow maximum air intake.

At the end of the day though you need to realize that the Performance Lineup is about quiet computing and not great air flow. The P183 provides enough airflow to keep your system stable and running but is not meant to provide cooling numbers evenb close to soemthing like a Nine Hundred line.

First are you experiencing any issues? I mean are you getting blue screens or anything like that? If not then I would not worry about it at all.

Most flawed and funny statement in the world.

I had a Crosshair IV Formula and I didnt have any NB cooling problems even when my 1090T was at 4.2GHz . Maybe your board had a crappier Thermal paste job ?

It looks more like their case is cramped with little to no airflow going near the NB. I would start by looking at the airflow going over the NB and increase it if it is not up to par.

I don't have the same mobo, but my NB is a good 8-10 degrees cooler than that and I am OCed while the OP is not. I have decent airflow over the NB, so I'm thinking it's just a lack of case airflow.

It looks more like their case is cramped with little to no airflow going near the NB. I would start by looking at the airflow going over the NB and increase it if it is not up to par.

I don't have the same mobo, but my NB is a good 8-10 degrees cooler than that and I am OCed while the OP is not. I have decent airflow over the NB, so I'm thinking it's just a lack of case airflow.

That's a good point... Any tips for improving airflow? I was thinking of the spot cool, sadly I can't really put my radiator anywhere else, if I could I would though.

That's a good point... Any tips for improving airflow? I was thinking of the spot cool, sadly I can't really put my radiator anywhere else, if I could I would though.

With all of my builds I try to balance the airflow with intake/exhaust working together. You said your wc is exhausting out of the case, what do you have for intake on the front or bottom of the case?

In my current build I am running 1 x120mm up front and one in the rear with a fan on the side and it keeps everything pretty cool. My current mod project will have 2x 120mm up front, 1x120mm in the rear and 1x 120mm up top.

First are you experiencing any issues? I mean are you getting blue screens or anything like that? If not then I would not worry about it at all. A lot of the temp measuring programs are not accurate so you could be running cooler than you think.

I would not reverse the chimney fan in the case, that is the primary heat removal route no matter what it may seem, remember heat rises.

If you want extra cooling then I agree the spot cool is a great idea and definitely the way I would go.

As for the Silenx fans, that smell is universal with them and I have never understood why, they just have a stink about them and it never seems to go away. I would however conisder getting new fans for the radiator. SilenX fans have solid numbers for the amount of air they move but their pressure is actually kind of small. You want a fan with a more forceful airmovement to get air through a radiatior. I am seriosuly considering getting some Silverstone Penetrators for testing. They offer a higher pressure air flow, should actually be more effective for radiator application based on the physics.

Finally keep the upper HD bay clear to allow maximum air intake.

At the end of the day though you need to realize that the Performance Lineup is about quiet computing and not great air flow. The P183 provides enough airflow to keep your system stable and running but is not meant to provide cooling numbers evenb close to soemthing like a Nine Hundred line.

Alright, I will reverse the chimney fan as soon as I can stabilize the NB, but it's the only think keeping my temps down, also the hd area is clear, just an empty cage, there Is actually space for another fan, but the gpu is blocking the space, I'll see if I can come up with something, also could you please recommend me a couple different types of fans with good preasure for the radiator? And i haven't had much stability issues although, for some reason my video would freeze in iTunes yesterday and after I installed the silenx fans a cuple of days ago this weird thing happened... I was watching house on iTunes (hd format) and then suddenly I hear a weird loud buzzing static come on and all my case fans and gpu fan, I'm not sure which, go into complete overdrive, it sounded like a jet engine, I freaked and immediately cut power. Then I checked all my connections for shorts or melting components, nothing was wrong internally, except for the silenx fans smelling. That could be a stability issue... Idk, these problems are starting to get on my nerves now...

With all of my builds I try to balance the airflow with intake/exhaust working together. You said your wc is exhausting out of the case, what do you have for intake on the front or bottom of the case?

In my current build I am running 1 x120mm up front and one in the rear with a fan on the side and it keeps everything pretty cool. My current mod project will have 2x 120mm up front, 1x120mm in the rear and 1x 120mm up top.

Okay, I'll tellyou how mines set up, I have 2 in front, intakes, but one is for lower hdd area, doesn't affect mb, the other blows air in to lower part of mb, near gpu, next I have my wc exhausting with a push pull and a top fan that will become an exhaust as soon as I put a spot cool on the mb... I dOnt really want to mod my case right now as I like how it is and just got it a week ago, I uses it to replace my sonata proto hoping the top exhaust and front intakes would solve my probs, they didn't, this irritates me because it seems that no matter what I do, my build will mess some other temp up, aw well, what can I do, I would watercool the whole the dang thing, but lack of $$$ dosnt allow me to.