Can i use both audio? Optical out aswell as stereo jack?

djdyna

Hi all, my brother gave me one of his old sound cards which has Optical out (so i can rig it up to my living rooms amp) it also has optical in too. It's only a 5.1 card but that's all i and lets face it most people only use.

Anyway to cut a long story short, lets say im wanting to play a game or watching a media file, could i receive sound from both the stereo jack (my PC 2.1 speaker system) aswel as the Optical out (5.1 System)? thanx.

I believe there's some sort of setting for both.

Personally, I just switch it in my audio settings whenever I want one or the other. I just either set my HDMI as default audio device, or my HD Audio. If it's the same sound card for both outputs you might be able to set it up via software to output to both...

I believe there's some sort of setting for both.

Personally, I just switch it in my audio settings whenever I want one or the other. I just either set my HDMI as default audio device, or my HD Audio. If it's the same sound card for both outputs you might be able to set it up via software to output to both...

Yeah that's what Im saying it's using the same soundcard (both it's optical out and stereo jack). So hopefully when i receive my 10m Optical cable i can have both sounds for when i need both.

That depends enterily on the card. In principle it works fine if you are sending 2 chancel PCM audio.

I can set my card to output 5.1 over analog AND to output 2.0 PCM over Optical. If I set the Optical output to DTS Interactive ENcoding, the analoug outputs stop.

This was the case for the last 3 cards I have had. It may be differnt for yours though.