Hello everyone, i need an advice

Hey guys, i had my 9800 gt fry not long ago, after years of serving me well.

So i bought a new gpu, and i got me a 460 gtx! I would like to get the maximum out of it

So i was read a lot lately about OC'ing my CPU and i couldn't find a guide that was clear.

English is my third language, and i couldn't find any guides simple enough for me most of them were too short and lacked info.

So here is my set-up.

P5Q-SE

E8400 @ 3ghz

460 GTX

600 W psu

2x2gb kingston ram

Any step by step information would be very helpful. I downloaded cpu-z and some other tools so if you require additional info just ask!

Thanks a lot guys!

Unsealed.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I oc'ed it to 3.6ghz stable, thanks for the guides it was useful, i have a few questions

I put my pcie at 100, the guide states 105 is good. Which is preferable and does it matter

Also my voltages switch since i left speedstep on, from 1.09 to 1.22 Should i leave it like that?

Hmm, idk how far you'll get with an nvidia chipsets. They're pretty bad when it comes to quality and stability (I would know, I had two lol)

If you get a picture of the bios we should be able to help ya, the e8400 should still clock fine but if it doesn't I blame the motherboard.

What brand is your 600W PSU??

Is your new 460 the 768MB or 1GB model??

AND does your 9800GT happen to have a lifetime warranty, and assuming you didn't throw it out, you should try the oven trick or running a heatgun over it then keep it as a backup card!

Speed step is fine, and just leave the PCI frequency alone

Edited by IVIYTH0S

Hmm, idk how far you'll get with an nvidia chipsets. They're pretty bad when it comes to quality and stability (I would know, I had two lol)

If you get a picture of the bios we should be able to help ya, the e8400 should still clock fine but if it doesn't I blame the motherboard.

What brand is your 600W PSU??

Is your new 460 the 768MB or 1GB model??

AND does your 9800GT happen to have a lifetime warranty, and assuming you didn't throw it out, you should try the oven trick or running a heatgun over it then keep it as a backup card!

Speed step is fine, and just leave the PCI frequency alone

Pictures: Will be uploaded within 5 minutes

No idea for the psu i'll have to unscrew it since the psu is set at the bottom of my antec 300 case =P

My 460 is the 1GB model

My 9800 gt was ovened 6 times in the last year, the last time being fatal, it never worked since then, that's why i got the 460.

Also i did oc it to 3.6ghz it was stable, ran fine a full day of heavy gameplay(crysis 2 / bc2 / blackops) + the tests but it recorded a max temp of 74 C i dunno how bad it is so i just went back to stock speeds/volts.

I'd like to have a good OC on it so it doesn't bottleneck the 460 gtx too much!

Thanks a lot for the help i'll send pics of the bios in a sec

Unsealed,

Generally the E8400 is a good clocker - and yours seems to clock pretty good too considering 3.6Ghz at stock voltages. 70C is fine on that processor for 24/7, but inadequate cooling is going to hold you back from going much further than you've currently achieved. Replace the (i'm assuming factory heatsink) with a good aftermarket unit and you could expect 3.8 - 4.0Ghz fairly easy with a bump to cpu voltage and a few other BIOS tweaks.

I rarely mess with the PCIe frequency unless I'm working on some insane overclocks for benchmarks or competition - and that has covered every thing from socket 939 up to socket 1366.

The good news is that your E8400 running at 3.6 - 3.8Ghz is a reasonable goal and is a match made in heaven for a single GTX 460 video card. And don't forget, that the GTX 460 card is capable of some healthy overclocks too :)

Unsealed,

Generally the E8400 is a good clocker - and yours seems to clock pretty good too considering 3.6Ghz at stock voltages. 74C is fine on that processor for 24/7, but inadequate cooling is going to hold you back from going much further than you've currently achieved. Replace the (i'm assuming factory heatsink) with a good aftermarket unit and you could expect 3.8 - 4.0Ghz fairly easy with a bump to cpu voltage and a few other BIOS tweaks.

I rarely mess with the PCIe frequency unless I'm working on some insane overclocks for benchmarks or competition - and that has covered every thing from socket 939 up to socket 1366.

The good news is that your E8400 running at 3.6 - 3.8Ghz is a reasonable goal and is a match made in heaven for a single GTX 460 video card. And don't forget, that the GTX 460 card is capable of some healthy overclocks too :)

Thanks a lot for the valuable information kind sir.

I will post Bios pictures of my overclock, and if there's anything that i should change i hope you guys let me know, pics in 2 minutes!

Brb!

Thanks again!

Here are the pictures of my bios as promised, sorry for the delay was also setting up a new washer and dryer! :P

Are you sure 74 C temperature is fine ? :P

post-78116-0-04684000-1310397716_thumb.jpg

post-78116-0-59041100-1310397752_thumb.jpg

Edited by Unsealed

I oc'ed it to 3.6ghz stable, thanks for the guides it was useful, i have a few questions

I put my pcie at 100, the guide states 105 is good. Which is preferable and does it matter

Also my voltages switch since i left speedstep on, from 1.09 to 1.22 Should i leave it like that?

Sorry I forgot to mention, leave PCIE at 100. That particular guide suggests 105, but in my experience it adds instability for no real gain.

As for voltages I tend not to leave things on Auto but enter them in yourself. Most mobos tend to over do it using Auto.

Also disable to the power states when Ocing your CPU. (C1E support is what its called in your bios). It also makes your overclock unstable.

Edited by dihartnell

Here are the pictures of my bios as promised, sorry for the delay was also setting up a new washer and dryer! :P

Are you sure 74 C temperature is fine ? :P

I dont think I would run 74c for long term. Get yourself a decent aftermarket cooler. It will make it a lot easier to get decent overclocks.

Edited by dihartnell

Ok so i went back to what is shown on the pictures, i'll go and change other things, which settings should i change and to what values approximately? I don't wanna fry anything =P

As for temps, i'll try turning on my house AC and see how low my temperatures get when my room isn't @ 32 Celcius :P

Edited by Unsealed