New to OCing

Hi all. I'm new to OCing and would like to know if anyone has any experience with or knows of failures with a Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2 mobo while OCing an AMD Phenom II x2 560 BE to either x3 or x4 cores? From the threads i've read I see this mobo may be a no-go due to its power handling. Can anyone attest to it? My set up is below:

CPU: AMD Phenom II x2 560 BE

CPU fan: CNPS9900A LED

MoBo: Gigabyte GA-MA78LMT-S2

Case: Logisys Optimus 1200 (4x 120mm fans; 1 top fan, 2 side fans, 1 front fan)

GPU: XFX HD-687A-ZDFC Radeon HD 6870 @ stock

Thanks

Only one way to find out ;)

stupid.gifthumbsup3.gif

That spreadsheet doesn't say anything that would really affect you.

You'll be able to OC fine. My motherboard has a 4+1 VRM configuration and it OC's fine. Just make sure you good case airflow so it can cool down those phases/VRMs.

Keep an eye on temperatures. Below 55 °C would be best, as Phenom IIs have a heat wall around 55-57 °C.

Overclocking a BE is fairly simple. Visit my blog to see what I did. cheers.gif

• 2 weeks later...

stupid.gifthumbsup3.gif

That spreadsheet doesn't say anything that would really affect you.

You'll be able to OC fine. My motherboard has a 4+1 VRM configuration and it OC's fine. Just make sure you good case airflow so it can cool down those phases/VRMs.

Keep an eye on temperatures. Below 55 °C would be best, as Phenom IIs have a heat wall around 55-57 °C.

Overclocking a BE is fairly simple. Visit my blog to see what I did. cheers.gif

Thanks for your help. Going to do more research on VRMs and such. I know my mobo supports 125W CPUs and my Phenom II x2 BE base is 80W (I'm assuming power consumption). How does that factor into VRMs?