Overclocking newbie

Hi,

I have an Intel Core i7 975 EX on am ASUS MB P6T Deluxe v2. RAM = OCZ DDR3 2000 x 12 GB [6 x 2GB]. My computer was originally O/c from 3.33GHz to 4.00GHz by the factory that produced it. Somehow it has defaulted back to 3.33GHz.

Does anyone know how I can get it back to 4.00GHz?

So far I have only replaced/upgraded memory, drives and GPUs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:-

Processor Intel Core i7 975 Ex 3.33GHz. Bloomfield. Chipset x 58/ICH10R.

Mobo Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Rev 1.xx Socket 1366.

RAM OCZ 2000 6 x 2 GB

PSU Coolermaster 620w Real Power Modular.

Cooling - Fans plus Scythe Mini Ninja Heatpipe Cooler on CPU.

Case NZXT Hush Black Gaming Case.

GPU Asus GTX 560Ti 1GB DirectCU 11 TOP.

Audio 8 channel HD on board.

O/S - Windows 7 Professional SP 1.

Drives Samsung 1.5TB + LG Blu Ray reader/writer and an Optiarc 24 x Dual Layer

Hi,

I have an Intel Core i7 975 EX on am ASUS MB P6T Deluxe v2. RAM = OCZ DDR3 2000 x 12 GB [6 x 2GB]. My computer was originally O/c from 3.33GHz to 4.00GHz by the factory that produced it. Somehow it has defaulted back to 3.33GHz.

Does anyone know how I can get it back to 4.00GHz?

So far I have only replaced/upgraded memory, drives and GPUs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Specs:-

Processor Intel Core i7 975 Ex 3.33GHz. Bloomfield. Chipset x 58/ICH10R.

Mobo Asus P6T Deluxe V2 Rev 1.xx Socket 1366.

RAM OCZ 2000 6 x 2 GB

PSU Coolermaster 620w Real Power Modular.

Cooling - Fans plus Scythe Mini Ninja Heatpipe Cooler on CPU.

Case NZXT Hush Black Gaming Case.

GPU Asus GTX 560Ti 1GB DirectCU 11 TOP.

Audio 8 channel HD on board.

O/S - Windows 7 Professional SP 1.

Drives Samsung 1.5TB + LG Blu Ray reader/writer and an Optiarc 24 x Dual Layer

bump the multi to x27 and the Vcore to around 1.35v

Not trying to step on anyones toes , but assuming hes running a stock bclk of 133 and sets his multi at 27, would only yield a OC of 3.6

To get a OC of 4.0 (3.99 to be exact) the multi will have to be 30(with the stock bclk@133) and a Vcore of 1.27-1.28 should be just enough to be stable.

Edited by Raddave

Hi Red 1776 and Raddave,

Many thanks for your replies.

As explained I am a complete novice at overclocking and would appreciate you explaining how I do what you suggest I do.

Do I need to do this via the BIOS and if so how?

Please explain clearly - we all have to start somewhere.

I look forward to hearing from you and very much appreciate your assistance.

You have an ASUS mobo so restart your PC and start pressing Del to get into BIOS. It is there you can make the nec changes :thumbsup:

For 4GHz on my i7 I have the multi set at 21 and the bclk at 190, but chewy you have an unlocked multi on your i7 ;) Technically there are quite a few ways to get to 4GHz with different BIOS settings, but OCC is a great place to learn :cheers:

I had some experience when I started overclocking the core i7 at first BUT it came to a point where I needed a guide to help me get there. Use this Guide below to help you reach whatever real or unrealistic clock speed you wish to attempt. I for one don't like it when people say do this and do that and everything will be OK. That is nearly never the case. Read up and take the steps to oc your chip and it will be properly overclocked. It not that the chips are far from one another, its just every chip is a little bit different. And plus this information will help you figure it out when something goes south or unstable in the long run. Knowledge is what cha need. :lol:

My 2 cents. Boinker.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

Not trying to step on anyones toes , but assuming hes running a stock bclk of 133 and sets his multi at 27, would only yield a OC of 3.6

To get a OC of 4.0 (3.99 to be exact) the multi will have to be 30(with the stock bclk@133) and a Vcore of 1.27-1.28 should be just enough to be stable.

try these settings

975-4183-WorkingOC.png

always keep your eye on temps while you are trying different settings.

This guide is "i7 920" but the principle and practices are the same

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

Edited by red1776

With all the ram slots populated it will stress the memory controller on the cpu and it will be harder to get back to 4ghz using the bclk. Just find in the bios where it says cpu multiplyer and change it to 30, then make sure the fsb as it is prolly labeled is at 133 to 140 and that should get you there you might add some vcore voltage, and put your qpi oc to auto. If you get crashes you can goto your memory settings and turn the ratio down to 2:10 or even 2:8 to slow the memory down and it will do more to stableize the OC then adding more voltage.

You have an ASUS mobo so restart your PC and start pressing Del to get into BIOS. It is there you can make the nec changes :thumbsup:

For 4GHz on my i7 I have the multi set at 21 and the bclk at 190, but chewy you have an unlocked multi on your i7 ;) Technically there are quite a few ways to get to 4GHz with different BIOS settings, but OCC is a great place to learn :cheers:

Hi SpeedwayNative,

Thanks for the info. I did know how to get into the BIOS. What I was trying to say was once there how do I change the settings? For instance, under AI tweaker tab how do I change the CPU Ratio setting? It seems that Asus auto o/c feature will try to raise the figure from 20 to 21 after I switch the AI Tweaker from Auto to Manual but I may want to alter that auto setting or keep it at 20. I have had a look in the BIOS and cannot see how I can alter this setting. I have been into the BIOS before and changed the way my computer boots but thats as far as my BIOS knowledge goes - so far. Mind you, I am willing to learn and it seems that there are plenty of tutors out there with the knowledge to help me.

Thanks for your input.

I had some experience when I started overclocking the core i7 at first BUT it came to a point where I needed a guide to help me get there. Use this Guide below to help you reach whatever real or unrealistic clock speed you wish to attempt. I for one don't like it when people say do this and do that and everything will be OK. That is nearly never the case. Read up and take the steps to oc your chip and it will be properly overclocked. It not that the chips are far from one another, its just every chip is a little bit different. And plus this information will help you figure it out when something goes south or unstable in the long run. Knowledge is what cha need. :lol:

My 2 cents. Boinker.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-cpus/538439-guide-overclocking-core-i7-920-930-a.html

Hi Boinker,

I appreciate your comments and the link. I have read through the guide and I am beginning to understand the theory. Now it is just the practical side!

Many thanks.

try these settings

975-4183-WorkingOC.png

always keep your eye on temps while you are trying different settings.

This guide is "i7 920" but the principle and practices are the same

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-920-overclocking.html

Hi Red1776,

Many thanks for the information and link to the guide. I will bear the information in mind when I go practical.

Cheers!

With all the ram slots populated it will stress the memory controller on the cpu and it will be harder to get back to 4ghz using the bclk. Just find in the bios where it says cpu multiplyer and change it to 30, then make sure the fsb as it is prolly labeled is at 133 to 140 and that should get you there you might add some vcore voltage, and put your qpi oc to auto. If you get crashes you can goto your memory settings and turn the ratio down to 2:10 or even 2:8 to slow the memory down and it will do more to stableize the OC then adding more voltage.

Hi Bigfwd69,

Many thanks for your suggestions. All help and guidance appreciated.

Cheers