Worried about cpu temps!

So I finished my build and I ran prime95 until it hit test 4, once it was on test 4 my core temps went to 79-80c and i got worried and closed it. Under idle (while just browsing internet etc.) it sits at around 37-45c

also with cpuid hardware monitor, under CPUtin it showed it at 124c earlier, the past few days i have never seen that reading budge from 60c and once i reset computer it went back to 60c. I am just very worried as I have not even OC the processor yet. I have the original heatsink that came with the i7 will be getting 212 soon as I can, but might be a month or so.

My specs are listed in my sig.

also my nvidia card it says is around 50c and my hdd is at 33c. these temps dont change often but when im playing a game such as sc2 the nvidia goes to around 65-70c

oh and I saw people ask others to post room temperature, its 79 in my room with a/c on but temps outside are 102 right now ;o

Edited by NerdGoneWild

For one thing I think hardware monitor had a slight glitch. I think if any I7 hit 124c it would shut itself down or meltdown. 70c-80c under stock clocks with the stock heatsink is good though. I know sense I oc'ed mine it will get to 90 but that is under High tdp turbo so its going to happen. The Hyper 212 should fix that. You should be able to get a decent overclock to 3.80ghz at about the same temperature but your high ambient of 80'F may effect that. I was able to OC mine to 4 ghz without an issue But it topped out load temps at 90c and that is just a little to far for my taste.

Monitoring: to monitor your temps a little better I would recommend getting Core temp for the processor and using hardware monitor for the GPU's and parts of the motherboard, hard drives etc. And also the GOU's are dong just fine. I'd give them an overclock just for the heck of it using MSI afterburner and OCCT gpu burn in. :D

Everything else looks good. Enjoy it. :)

Keep it under 95 - CPU. CPU will begin to throttle

Nice choice on the 212.

Normal temps for HD/GPU.

95 is way too high......... I think you have GPU and CPU confused.

Edited by Drdeath

95 is way too high......... I think you have GPU and CPU confused.

No, on Intel CPUs at 95 C they will experience throttling and possibly degradation. But I would suggest to keep it under 80 C, or even 75 C when running Prime 95/load testing.

I have skype, but I'm going to sleep soon. o.o

What do you want to know about temperatures?

No, on Intel CPUs at 95 C they will experience throttling and possibly degradation. But I would suggest to keep it under 80 C, or even 75 C when running Prime 95/load testing.

I have skype, but I'm going to sleep soon. o.o

What do you want to know about temperatures?

Like I had posted the cpuid hardware monitor keeps going from 60c to 124c on cputin. but all my cores reading are always between 30-60 tops...

Don't worry about the 124c temp up there, if anything was that hot for one it would be smoking and for 2 its just a Hw monitor error. Hw monitor does not get along with everything just right and I have the same thing on my Asus p6t7 and had it on my m3nht also. The CPU temp that you want to look at is the by core temp in hw monitor or in core temp. You are fine. Just watch core temp and don't let it go over 90 and you should be fine. For a permanant overclock I would shoot for under 80c and you wont have any problems with degredation unless the voltage is well over 1.35 with LLC on.