i7 950 oc And temps

Rosco

OK

I want to run some things by u guys. I'm running a i7 950 with a Thermalright Silver arrow, I just want to know if my temps seem right to u guys :

Idle = 30 (seems a little high :dunno: )

load = 58

Currently I'm only running stock speeds because I don't really see the benefit of oc'ing when I'm using a 9800GTX+ gfx card :fp: . I intend to change that VERY soon. But when I do eventual oc what would o suggest would be good 24/7 oc and what settings would suggest I try to get it.

Things that may help, I have a.

ASUS x58 Sabertooth

Kingston hyperX DDR3 1600 6Gb

i7 950 D0

Any Advice would help.

The Idle for an none Overclocked chip is right. If you have speed step, C1E, and C states enabled then they will tend to get very cold while Idling around for a while. The load temperature does not look bad but could be allot better with a Water-cooling loop. That is really the only way it will get better unless the Tim breaks in then it will drop down a few degrees. If you want you can try to reseat it BUT it looks like its doing fine so if its not broken please don't attempt to fix it.

To overclock that chip right now you would see a slight gain in video performance and a gain in general responsiveness so its a win win if you would like to do it. That chip should get to 4Ghz without even sweating at all so I would go ahead and do that. Use Prime95 large FFT and blend test or OCCT linpak. I use OCCT linpak as its a tough test so it makes sure of stability and it gives you actual data readouts for the pass-fail test. After it passes linpak for an hour you should be good to go. If you want to burn it in further or verify the OC then do Prime95 blend for 24hours and the OC will likely stay that way for years.

After that its just up to you what you want to do. Refer to this guide for a few hints and a good read to take on I7 overclocking. I7 guide to OC

And, even though the Intel spec. states a maximum operating temperature of 67.9% - that is very conservative. The i7's can run in the mid to upper 70s without issue.

If you want to really push the clocks on the I7s though, you need to disable HT for another 4-6C reduction in load temps.