Build problems (under performing)

la1fas

Hey guys, I would really appreciate if you could hear my story out and if you know how suggest me something.

I made this build last summer and I have been using it for nearly a year now:

Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-880GM-UD2H

Processor: AMD Phenom II x6 1055T

GPU: XFX HD5850

Hard drive: Western Digital 1TB

Memory: Patriot 2x2GB 1333MHZ

Power supply: Chieftec 750w

Case: Cooler master Gladiator 600

Running on stock coolers and nothing is overclocked. Using Windows 7 64bit.

The thing is I could play any game maxed out easily (Battlefield 2: Bad Company 2, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Just Cause 2, Dragon Age Origins 2, Mass Effect, etc.) Nearly everything was running perfect. Until recently everything began to stutter, I reinstalled my Windows thinking that it may help but it has gotten even worse. I am running the newest ATI drivers, everything is up to date but the thing is when I'm playing fps drops from 60 to below 30 for like 5 secs and then goes back up again it is really frustrating and annoying. The sad thing is that it happens on games that I could play with a low budged build, like in League of Legends or a 2006 game - The Witcher. It doesn't matter if I change the graphics setting or anything the same thing with my fps happens. A complete devastation was when I got 15fps in Wither 2...

First I thought that my system can be overheating, but I checked the temperatures they are pretty normal, the drivers are up to date. Maybe I could have damaged the HDD when I was cleaning it with a wet cloth? Maybe there's not enough RAM? Maybe there's a virus?

Guys, how can I find out what the hell is happening? And why my system is under performing that badly?

Please leave comments, suggestions, or even anything, I would really appreciate it.

You say you have the newest drivers; did the issue occur since you installed them or did you update in response?

Check and see what is running in the background. The fact that the frame rate goes down and then comes back up could indicate the computer is pulling resources to do something else.

That's all I can think of for now. Any one else got an idea?

Yeah, I'd try a different driver to see whats up. If you're running the 11.5 drivers, try nabbing the 11.5b hotfix.

Check with the Task Manager to see if there is anything pulling resources away while you game, like Jim said.

Thanks, I'm going to try the hotfix, but the thing is that fps drops occurred even after a fresh reinstall of windows, I checked no unusual processes running in task manager.

I have just ran a few benchmarks and it seems that I may have some overheating issues:

GPU - up to 82°C

CPU - up to 67°C

That is kind of over the top isn't it? And can it cause random fps drops?

Edited by la1fas

Thanks, I'm going to try the hotfix, but the thing is that fps drops occurred even after a fresh reinstall of windows, I checked no unusual processes running in task manager.

I have just ran a few benchmarks and it seems that I may have some overheating issues:

GPU - up to 82°C

CPU - up to 67°C

That is kind of over the top isn't it? And can it cause random fps drops?

Id say so. But who am I? For at least a Decade I would never let anything run at those temps even is some would consider them acceptable. Definatley consider your CPU Fan/sink (is it good enough for my overclock?) and a redo of your Thermal paste. Consider your case build. Is is a clean flowing box inside? Are the Fans, "in and out" doing a good job of flow? Is my memory staying cool or overheating? Based on what you have done so far, If I was you I would consider those basics just mentioned.

Edited by Kwok

Your 5850's temp is just fine!

Your 1055T is over the maximum rated temp however!! definitely reseat it or purchase a better cooler. The CPU should never exceed 62C at anytime and it is most likely causing the throttling issues you have been experiencing!