Installing Antec Big Boy 200mm fans into HAF X top slots

Hey everyone, I've had my HAF X case for almost 6 months now and loved it. When I first purchased I also bought a second Cooler Master 200mm fan to add to the optional fan slot up top (so two 200mm fans running up top).

As most of you know, the CM fans are sleeve bearing, so mounting them horizontally can severely cut the life of the fan, by starving the bearings of oil. Sure enough too, 5 months later after buying, both fans started to get noisy, one in particular grinding occasionally.

I posted up about HAF top fan replacements HERE and found a little help, but nothing solid, so decided to take the risk and see how it went.

Picked up two Antec Big Boy 200mm, probally the best fan for its size being dual ball bearing. Started working on them yesterday, lining up the CM fans over the top and drilling out new holes. Basically the new holes can be drilled, from the old holes, diagonally outwards 4-5mm (from centre to centre). This makes it particularily difficult if you dont have a drill press, which I didnt, since you will be drilling through the side wall of the existing screw holes. I spent a bit of time doing this back and forward, because hitting the side wall would throw the cordless drill off on a slightly different angle. If you can get a drill press, use it! From memory I used a 4 - 4.5mm drill. You'll also notice on both fans I'm missing one screw, they were both so close to getting in but just missed out, so I didnt bother.

Now the CM fans frame is a lot thinner and round, compared to the Antec which is slighly oval shaped, with thicker sides. Placing the two next too each in the top of the HAF X poses some problems, since one or the other wont line up with the screw holes. So, where the two fans meet, 3-4mm needs to be trimmed off in a straight line, on both fans. I did this using a hacksaw, which easily cuts the plastic.

p1010303g.jpg

After all this cutting and trimming I thought I was nearly there, except the rear fans frame also sticks out too far, and the tapered ribs of the HAF x Lid actually hit the side of the fan. Not wanting to ruin this lovely case, I trimmed around 10-11mm off the rear end of the fan in a straight line to allow for this clearance.

p1010302o.jpg

So here we are, job complete! Have these fans running on there medium setting at a rated 107cfm/27 db, in an attempt to keep my case pressure just slightly positive. There whisper quite, and doubt I'll have any issues with them for a long while.

p1010301s.jpg

Hope this has benefitted anyone else in the same boat as me, who needs to replace the ordinary CM fans. As you can see its not as easy as just slapping them in, but with this little guide you can see its not too much of a big deal. If you want a nice top fan thats going to last a while, definately worth it in my opinion.

-Rhys

Edited by hoody_s13

I havent tested case temperatures at all, but I'd imagine it would be the same temp. The case already has great airflow, and using medium setting on the Antecs should have the new fans running around the same speed as the CM fans.

Mainly the one fan that made me do this switch, got real loud. The other was ok, but while I was there thought might as well. Not sure how long sleeve bearing fans would normally survive laying horizontally.

• 2 years later...