OC Possible for me?

Hi guys. Got a query here on OC'ing my system. Firstly, the specs:

- Intel C2D E8400

- Gigabyte EP45-DS3R

- Kingston 2x2GB DDR2 800 RAM - This one

- CM Hyper TX2

- Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2GB

- CM Extreme Power Plus 600W

I know there are lots of mistakes on that build, but, please dont flame me. :( Got all that in June 2 years back as an extremely attractive package deal locally (Except the 6950. There was a GTX260+ that died).

Now, I would like to OC my CPU a bit. Not anything extreme, but, moderate (Say to 3.5 - 3.6 GHz). But, what I fear is that my RAM, PSU and HSF will hold me back (What a list :(). At this point, I would really not like to have anything fry / die on me, which is why I am still not taking the jump yet.

Need some recommendations. Is OC'ing feasible on this system? Or is it such a crazy idea that I rather not come near it? (The CPU is idling at 36C at stock, and 56-57C at load - For an ambient temperature of 32C right now)

Looking at the system you have there is really nothing wrong with it in my opinion. And 3.60 ghz with really good air cooling is completely possible. Maybe even 3.80 but that could be a stretch for just starting out. Overclocking is not a this setting will get you this. You have to work at it and try different things as every chip is different.

Have you been in and around the BIOS to see what and were your settings are? Now would be a good time to poke around to find all the settings locations.

One setting that I would look for is the Fsb dram seperarion feature if it has it. That will seperate the ram from the fsb and that will allow you to leave the ram alone for athe time being. When I get off work I will throw some guides at you and let you know what I had to do to get bishop245's E8400 up there. I got his to 4ghz but at suicide voltages and maybe a little recklessness but it got there.

Ill post at you later op.

P.s. I looked further into the cooler you are using and from what I read in the occasion review its not going to be much cooling once you start overclocking. If you want to get a new cooler I would suggest the coolermaster hyper 212 plus. Its a great cooler at a great price.

Link to reveiw.. http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/coolermaster_hypertx2/5.htm

Yes, the cooler is something I have been looking to upgrade. Obviously, the Hyper 212+ is on my agenda, because of its unbeatable price : performance. Should be getting one soon. :)

Cheers for the reply.

It's pretty much the same.

Sunbeam Core Contact Freezer 120mm - Rs 1900 - link

CM Hyper 212+ - Rs 1850 link

Is the Core Contact Freezer better than the 212+ ? However, I have got some doubt in my mind about the pricing there, since, everywhere else, it is listed at over Rs 2500, which probably leads me to believe that the site I listed above has not updated that page for a bit.

EDIT: Confirming. It's a false price for the CCF 120mm there. I think I'll go for the Hyper 212+

Edited by SSGX3noS