Overclocking i5-760 HELP please?

Hi,

I want to overclock my i5 760 currently running at 2.8GHz to a stable 3.6GHz. I downloaded a guide from APC Magazines website (http://apcmag.com/overclocking-101-our-step-by-step-guide-to-maximising-your-pcs-speed.htm) and am able to follow the first steps, IE, disable EIST, Turbo Mode, C1E, C-States etc, I can disable those no problem but when I go to the section of my BIOS to edit voltages it is all greyed out and I am not able to change them. Is there a default setting in BIOS's to allow changing these voltage settings. Am I missing something?

My BIOS version is American Megatrends Inc V1.6, 28/12/2009. (SMBIOS V2.6)

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks heaps guys.

P.S - I have Coolermaster GTV6 CPU cooler so I am fine to overclock my CPU.

What motherboard are you using? If it's not designed for over-clocking, your're out of luck. My old Dell Dimension 2400 wouldn't let me change voltages.

Edited by xxmastermushxx

What motherboard are you using? If it's not designed for over-clocking, your're out of luck. My old Dell Dimension 2400 wouldn't let me change voltages.

Im using an MSI P55 GD 65 (1156 chipset).

Im using an MSI P55 GD 65 (1156 chipset).

hi

you can read trough my thread the guys helped my with.i know you have a socket 1156 and i have a socket 1366 but the thread should give a good starting point and from there make small changes at a time and then test for stability.

i7 930

good luck

I have an i5-760 on an ASUS P7P55 LX, put mines from 2.80GHZ to 3.20GHZ no problem, all you have to do is change the profile in the bios to X.M.P and that lets you overclock your RAM (well it did for me). Hope this helps :)

There will be a setting right above where it shows the voltage number that says AUTO in grey, use the + button to adjust manually, but consult with your manual as to what the stock voltage is.