X3 720 -> X4 20 BE

Waco

I wish they had better luck with it.

Smith might remember giving me info/tips to OC it when I was participating in the Forum War, but that was awhile ago.

I got it to 3.6, then 3.7 after the forum wars. Even reached 3.8 but could not get it stable.

Got it done on a MSI 790FX GD-70, with Patriot ram.

I suppose that happenned but AMD never officially said this. Conjecture.

I'm pretty sure the only chip that's essentially guaranteed to unlock/overclock is the Phenom II X2. I highly doubt AMD gets many dud chips with 2 good cores these days. :P

I wish they had better luck with it.

Smith might remember giving me info/tips to OC it when I was participating in the Forum War, but that was awhile ago.

I got it to 3.6, then 3.7 after the forum wars. Even reached 3.8 but could not get it stable.

Got it done on a MSI 790FX GD-70, with Patriot ram.

I still think 3.4 unlocked to a quad is a good OC. 3.6 would have been nice but with the extra core unlocked I wasn't expecting it. I was just kinda surprised that even with that extra core locked down it wouldn't go any faster. :lol:

I mean, it's bench-stable at 3.6 or so but it definitely won't stay running without a BSOD when I push it with IBT and Prime95.

I'm pretty sure the only chip that's essentially guaranteed to unlock/overclock is the Phenom II X2. I highly doubt AMD gets many dud chips with 2 good cores these days. tongue.gif

I still think 3.4 unlocked to a quad is a good OC. 3.6 would have been nice but with the extra core unlocked I wasn't expecting it. I was just kinda surprised that even with that extra core locked down it wouldn't go any faster. lol2.gif

I mean, it's bench-stable at 3.6 or so but it definitely won't stay running without a BSOD when I push it with IBT and Prime95.

not to be devils advocate but 3.4Ghz is low. When the chips came out some got 3.&GHz . Not many but 3.6Ghz was achievable stable. So,etimes ya get a good one and sometimes ya don't/

Edited by Drdeath

3.7 GHz is what Bluepanda's chip will do. The one in my HTPC will do ~3.55 GHz prime/IBT stable. Neither of them will unlock though - and I'd rather have a quad at 3.4 than a tri-core at 3.6 or so. :cheers:

3.7 GHz is what Bluepanda's chip will do. The one in my HTPC will do ~3.55 GHz prime/IBT stable. Neither of them will unlock though - and I'd rather have a quad at 3.4 than a tri-core at 3.6 or so. cheers.gif

Depends on what apps you use. If no need for multi core faster core speed = better performance

I use the SMP folding client, which benefits from additional cores. Plus, I just feel that a 0.6GHz increase is enough for my first OC'ed computer, even before considering the 4th core. That's just icing on the cake, as it were.