Low FPS in Crysis

Guest_Jim_*

I realize that getting a low framerate in Crysis probably isn't the surprising to most, but I have a feeling this will confuse some of you. So I just installed Crysis and have been playing around with it, trying to get the best settings. Unfortunately it appears there is no such thing as best settings for me as I'm somehow having a cap of about 25FPS or so, no matter what I do, even having every setting to low. I've tried changing to the 64bit version, turning off the texture streaming, turning on SSAO, turning off SSAO. Everything I could think of, and no improvement. The most annoying part of this is that for a while it was running at 50FPS (except at cutscenes when it went to 25FPS) and then I quit out, made some change, can't remember what, and it just won't go back up. I've tried removing all of the changes I've made and still no joy. Ideas, because I know my rig can run it very well (it has)?

I'm going to open up Warhead and see if it's having the same issue.

I realize that getting a low framerate in Crysis probably isn't the surprising to most, but I have a feeling this will confuse some of you. So I just installed Crysis and have been playing around with it, trying to get the best settings. Unfortunately it appears there is no such thing as best settings for me as I'm somehow having a cap of about 25FPS or so, no matter what I do, even having every setting to low. I've tried changing to the 64bit version, turning off the texture streaming, turning on SSAO, turning off SSAO. Everything I could think of, and no improvement. The most annoying part of this is that for a while it was running at 50FPS (except at cutscenes when it went to 25FPS) and then I quit out, made some change, can't remember what, and it just won't go back up. I've tried removing all of the changes I've made and still no joy. Ideas, because I know my rig can run it very well (it has)?

I'm going to open up Warhead and see if it's having the same issue.

so you tried a reinstall? did you use the commands or what? you're meant to make a backup of them files

so you tried a reinstall? did you use the commands or what? you're meant to make a backup of them files

No, I didn't try a reinstall because I only just installed them.

I have tested with and without the commands.

I have undone every change to the files I have made without success. Specifically I changed the resolution to my screens unusual 2048x1152, and used an autoexec.cfg file containing

r_TexturesStreaming 0

r_SSAO 1

con_restricted 0

With and without that file, no improvement. Allowing the game to decide its optimum settings puts it to high/gamer.

I am experiencing low FPS in Warhead too. The only thing I have not tried is DX9 mode, but I don't believe it was running in that when it was working.

I have got one idea that I'm trying to test now. Will explain after the test.

I have got one idea that I'm trying to test now. Will explain after the test.

Okay so I got it figured out and the issue was not with Crysis, but I still do not know the root cause. For whatever reason, the drivers decided to run at only there 2D settings. I noticed the lower speeds in Afterburner. I tried opening Just Cause 2 and Fraps gave me a flat 0 and then the system crashed. Back up now and Crysis was at the higher framerate.

If I do reinstall the drivers, that would be like the fourth time in either 4 or 5 days. Hopefully the issue will not reappear.

nVidia's latest 270.61 for 64bit Windows 7. I am thinking about going back to 266.58 which never gave me any trouble. The reason I'd been reinstalling them was that Just Cause 2 was acting up, which in the release notes they claim they improved the performance of.

Yeah, sometimes a driver will fix one problem and cause another. I'd roll back to the later ones and see what that does for Crysis.

The only problem with that is I don't know what caused it to go to the 2D clocks, so I can't replicate the issue. Will probably go back to the old drivers anyway, but I can't be sure the issue is actually fixed.

Is it possible another game you installed may have changed something Crysis doesn't like - perhaps like DirectX drivers? Not saying it is that specifically but something like that in theory. To me it sounds like 'something else' is limiting your performance. Either a mod you implemented, a setting you changed or shared drivers other games can change. It is definitely not hardware ...as like you said, your system ran fine at one point. All the more evidence the software configuration on your PC changed along the way.

My computer I have at home is snot compared to yours and it runs the 2nd highest setting very well. I haven't thought to launch FRAPS to check the framerate but it is pretty smooth. I could probably hit up Very High on a few settings, but its grayed out for me and won't even let me try. I'm not seeing what so many see in this game. The graphics sure didn't even come close to half the expectations I had of this game. I would try Senita's enhancements for the game if i thought my computer could handle it.

I was so unenthusiastic with it I had to search YouTube to see what max settings looks like. Found this and it sure shows off the environment FAR better than what i see but i would like to see what characters look like on this setup as character design looks pathetically gimp on my version of this game. If the game looked like what it does on this video than I could see the hype. Then I could see why people tout PC graphics over console. The texture is nice, the fog in the forest is nice, and the way you can interact with all the objects is cool. But this guy has to be running some mod that enhances textures past the retail release of the game. What I'm seeing on my machine doesn't even come close to PS3 graphics. All flora models are flat and only look good when looking directly at them. Even on the video below stuff looks flat, even the rocks on the ground. While the game may be trying for that realistic look, dealing with the same terrain all throughout the game is kinda boring. :glare:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5AiwIfLnA0

I tried the new beta drivers to see if they fixed the problem. The answer is no. So now I get to try to remove them. Fun. Good thing I keep at least the current and most recent good install of a program on my computer, just in case (and more on the external hard drive).