Turbo Core Not So Great?

I third the motion of turning off CnQ. I had it on for a while but then I eventually disabled it, sure it is nice to have the cores downclock a lot but it could be messing with Turbo Core.

If you want, I could check and see what Turbo Core does for my 1075T.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My computer runs 24/7 the heat power and everything isn't worth turning off cool n quiet. I'm not so worried about getting turbo to work anymore. I'm just working on finding the right clock to not catch fire to my board. 3.6 on all cores is too high for this board (actually smelled almost burning!! ahhhhh)... so I'll probably clock down and wait until I can buy a new board.

So yea... lol. I guess thats what I get for really wanting 6 cores huh? :lol:

You will be able to get a mild overclock with turbo core. Thats it. Manual overclock is what you need. Run a test on stock with prime 95 and post where your temps stand. Keep it under 55 at load. If you go higher , high 50's is max. Instability will happen sometime after 55 depending on chip. Max TJ is 63.

Cool n quiet and C1E needs to be disabled. They will cause instabilty quickly.

Edited by Drdeath

My computer runs 24/7 the heat power and everything isn't worth turning off cool n quiet. I'm not so worried about getting turbo to work anymore. I'm just working on finding the right clock to not catch fire to my board. 3.6 on all cores is too high for this board (actually smelled almost burning!! ahhhhh)... so I'll probably clock down and wait until I can buy a new board.

So yea... lol. I guess thats what I get for really wanting 6 cores huh? :lol:

Well, there is no harm in running the processor at stock or a little over. So long as the board doesn't catch fire, 3.2 or 3.4GHz sounds fine. You've already had one person in the house catch a board on fire, don't need a second. :P

You will be able to get a mild overclock with turbo core. Thats it. Manual overclock is what you need. Run a test on stock with prime 95 and post where your temps stand. Keep it under 55 at load. If you go higher , high 50's is max. Instability will happen sometime after 55 depending on chip. Max TJ is 63.

Cool n quiet and C1E needs to be disabled. They will cause instabilty quickly.

Instability is not the issue, CPU temps are well below 40 C. The VRMs on the board are getting hot enough to melt. lol

Just wondering.

Do you have a closed case or open side case? If that section of the board is heating up, maybe you can add another fan and position it so it can give that part some extra air flow.

If heat is becoming the enemy, you should be able to deal with it easily, disable Cool N Quiet, then start doing your testing from that point. Cause your cores are bouncing from 800mhz -> 1600mhz -> 2800mhz or higher, probably 3000mhz+ for you.

I hope you get everything resolved. :thumbsup:

Edited by yuridude

Just wondering.

Do you have a closed case or open side case? If that section of the board is heating up, maybe you can add another fan and position it so it can give that part some extra air flow.

It's a HAF 932 - plenty of airflow. I ordered a set of heatsinks for the mosfets but the biggest issue is that the board simply doesn't have the power capacity to run this CPU overclocked. Heck...I think it might even be too limited to handle it at stock. :mad:

Talking to newegg... :( Maybe they will take it back. Then to find another CPU to go back to. UGH!!! What a loss.

Looks like they are willing to take it back, pay shipping back, and charge no restocking fee... good news but not so good news. Looks like I might be with out my big blue for a little bit. :/

Edited by BluePanda

thats a better idea...I've got a sweet Asus M4A89GTD-pro if you are interested...?

same model of board Praz used to get 4.2ghz on the same chip on air I think...

Why can't you just get a better motherboard on the cheap instead of returning the chip?

A better mobo "on the cheap" requires a change to DDR3 - so $160 at minimum to keep 8 GB of RAM and have 8 phase split-plane power.