SSD or Upgrade Video Card?

Rodneyho

I meant that the 1TB Seagates where fast compared with other disk based Harddrives. Not vs SSDs.

$1 per GB is my buy in point as well. I am going to watch the 120gb SSDs and when they are at that price point I will grab two of them with Trim and Raid support and go Raid 0 and back that up with a 500gb seagate that I currently have . I don't have more than 200gb on my system ever becuse I run a WHS setup with an 8 bay raid server attached to it. Only thing thats on my PC is a few games and the last bluray or two I ripped and have not dropped on my WHS.

A few articles on this form need to die because they had me concerned with lack of TRIM on SSDs and the maintance you had to do. So second gen is still about 160 for a 120gb so maybe a good shell shocker or price drop away from jumping in.

Want to see some picts of my new raid and WHS setup check out this

My WHS and RSV-S8

I meant that the 1TB Seagates where fast compared with other disk based Harddrives. Not vs SSDs.

$1 per GB is my buy in point as well. I am going to watch the 120gb SSDs and when they are at that price point I will grab two of them with Trim and Raid support and go Raid 0 and back that up with a 500gb seagate that I currently have .

Eh, they are kinda fast for sustained writes but their access latency is relatively average.

As for SSDs - TRIM support doesn't mean anything if you're going to put them into a RAID array anyway.

:doh: let me be the first to welcome you to the year 2013

If you cannot even afford one SSD why would you be thinking about putting two of them in Raid 0

you should also note your motherboard does not support SATA3

EDIT: oh wait, I know who gave you that idea

Edited by potatochobit

If you cannot even afford one SSD why would you be thinking about putting two of them in Raid 0

New system / build so yeah it would support SATA 3. Its not about afford, its about the price I am willing to pay for SSD.

You spend all your time on the forum trying to epeen or you got mommy problems today? Sorry but thats twice you

posted a jerk response. Obviously I don't know much about SSD yet, thats why I posted here. Was looking for some

pointers and direction like the discussion on TRIM support in RAID 0. Do you know about that, or is that not an issue

becuase you live in 2013?

Edited by Rodneyho

Eh, they are kinda fast for sustained writes but their access latency is relatively average.

As for SSDs - TRIM support doesn't mean anything if you're going to put them into a RAID array anyway.

So you will run into the same issues you have without TRIM if you raid 0 two SSDs with TRIM?

New system / build so yeah it would support SATA 3. Its not about afford, its about the price I am willing to pay for SSD.

You spend all your time on the forum trying to epeen or you got mommy problems today? Sorry but thats twice you

posted a jerk response. Obviously I don't know much about SSD yet, thats why I posted here. Was looking for some

pointers and direction like the discussion on TRIM support in RAID 0. Do you know about that, or is that not an issue

becuase you live in 2013?

Chobit tends to troll a lot on a number of tech sites. It's almost always a good idea to ignore him.

So you will run into the same issues you have without TRIM if you raid 0 two SSDs with TRIM?

Yes.

Most drives today have some sort of garbage collection built-in but you can't use TRIM in any kind of hardware RAID array. I'm not sure if it can be passed to drives in a software RAID array but that wouldn't give you the performance you want anyway. I don't think any of the major manufacturers have put a timeline on TRIM being passed down to array drives.

Wow chill out. It's OK to give your opinion but don't be a jerk about it. And you know it's bad when I tell you you're a jerk (I'm a big time dick).

Anyway, my 2 WD 7200 Caviar Black drives in Raid0 put up about 200-225 read speeds. That is faster than some SSD's. I used it for gaming, and my OS drive was a C300 which got around 325-340 read speeds.

...... when will people stop putting mechanical HDDs in RAID 0 and realise it does NOTHING for speeding up your PC?

Those benches may show xxxx read speed "as fast as an SSD" but that means NOTHING. Unless all you do is move data between discs.

Why risk having 2TB of data spread across a RAID 0????

Just buy 1 SATA II SSD and enjoy the MASSIVE speed boost.

...... when will people stop putting mechanical HDDs in RAID 0 and realise it does NOTHING for speeding up your PC?

I have a RAID 0 array in my desktop purely for the sustained read/write speeds. I assume most others do it for similar reasons or they want more space on a single volume.

Those benches may show xxxx read speed "as fast as an SSD" but that means NOTHING. Unless all you do is move data between discs.

:withstupid:

I ran a wd blue and black before I got my ssd and in every way I'm pleased with my ocz vertex2. Not only does it have decent benches the realworld performance is outstanding! The sheer save in boot times is worth it to me not too mention how much snappier everything else is in general. Get as big an ssd you can afford and couple it with a large hdd for large files that way you can have the best of both worlds.

Um because that was for file and game storing. All stuff that can be replaced or reinstalled.... And I saw massive improvements in load times and what not with my RAID0 setup over just a single drive.