Tweaking Overclock Further

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about ways to tweak my overclock and drop temps a little further.

Yesterday tried dropping my QPI voltage from 1.25 down to 1.2v, the lowest limit the mobo would go. So far so good, ran 24 hours stable, and managed to drop average temps by 2 degrees (factoring in ambients ofcoarse), so great sucess!

Anything else I can tweak to drop it all a little further?

Currently running this on my system in the sig below (31 multi x 143 blck)

CPU Vcore - 1.343v (cant go any lower)

CPU PLL - 1.812v (Auto)

QPI/Dram Core - 1.2v (lowest setting)

DRAM Voltage - 1.654v

IOH - 1.111v (auto)

IOH PCIE - 1.515v (auto)

ICH - 1.111v (auto)

I was thinking of dropping DRAM voltage in increments and testing, think this will work? Dropping CPU temps is good, so should I try dropping general system temps too?

Thanks all

Hey everyone, I've been thinking about ways to tweak my overclock and drop temps a little further.

Yesterday tried dropping my QPI voltage from 1.25 down to 1.2v, the lowest limit the mobo would go. So far so good, ran 24 hours stable, and managed to drop average temps by 2 degrees (factoring in ambients ofcoarse), so great sucess!

Anything else I can tweak to drop it all a little further?

Currently running this on my system in the sig below (31 multi x 143 blck)

CPU Vcore - 1.343v (cant go any lower)

CPU PLL - 1.812v (Auto)

QPI/Dram Core - 1.2v (lowest setting)

DRAM Voltage - 1.654v

IOH - 1.111v (auto)

IOH PCIE - 1.515v (auto)

ICH - 1.111v (auto)

I was thinking of dropping DRAM voltage in increments and testing, think this will work? Dropping CPU temps is good, so should I try dropping general system temps too?

Thanks all

I guess try and lower the DRAM volts if you want, but just know they don't contribute very much to system heat.

Well, what temps are you getting? I've seen people complaining that their i7's are hitting mid 60's at 4.0GHz. :pfp:

There's only so much you can do, eventually you'll want to at least go to a full custom watercooling solution. Even a 120.2 radiator couldn't keep temps low enough at high overclocks, you really need to get a 120.3 or 120.4 rad and a decent sized reservoir and a good pump.

Well, what temps are you getting? I've seen people complaining that their i7's are hitting mid 60's at 4.0GHz. :pfp:

There's only so much you can do, eventually you'll want to at least go to a full custom watercooling solution. Even a 120.2 radiator couldn't keep temps low enough at high overclocks, you really need to get a 120.3 or 120.4 rad and a decent sized reservoir and a good pump.

Nonsense, laugh at 85C with me!

Highest temp I got on the 24h run was 76 degrees with an ambient of 20.5 degrees (air con on). That's on my 980x at 4.4ghz. A custom loop would be cooler I'm sure, but that next step up from the h70 involves maintenance. Honestly it was hard enough trying to motivate myself to cleanthe fish tank back in the day.

Happy to stick with the h70, just trying to get the best out of my system with what I've got

Edited by hoody_s13