Need help, first time water cooling!

Hey guys, ive always wanted to get into water cooling, but never really had the time.. however now i have two 6990's which seriously need water cooling.

Which water cooling system would be best for a gpu only loop ? as it will be my first attempt the easier and less complicated would be appreciated haha. I plan on getting the 6990 block from koolance.

Oh and i have the Cosair 800D case, so i plan on installing internally, thanks for the help guys.

Keep the 6990's on one loop.(not the CPU or Mobo). Get some good parts from Danger Den plus 2 blocks from koolance and you should be fine. Plenty of helpful reviews on Google as well.

Which water cooling system would be best for a gpu only loop ?

Keep the 6990's on one loop.(not the CPU or Mobo).

Black, he already said he was doing a GPU only loop ;)

Hustle, 1st off you need to really research water cooling before jumping into building a loop, Here is some good reading ! I prob read for about a week before I really knew what was going on. Now after you read up on everything, you next step is deciding what parts to order. I will give you a head start on this :cheers:

Since you are going with a full coverage gpu block, I would get a more powerful pump to really push the water thru the blocks. Even though the Koolance blocks (great choice btw) are not as restricitve as some of the full-coverage gpu blocks out there, it would still be a good idea to go with a Liang D5 pump, since the water will need to travel between both blocks. The Liang D5 pump goes by a few names, all of which are the same pump but re-branded and usually cheaper:Koolance PMP-450(s), The 2 Swiftech versions are the MCP655 Vario( varible speed control ) and the MCP655 ( no speed control ).

When it comes to a radiator to cool (2) 6990's, you will definitely want to go with no less than a 120x3, especially since it will fit in your 800D :thumbsup: Thermochill, XSPC, Swiftech, and Black Ice all make solid rads. To decide which rad you will want to use, it really comes down to your noise preference on the fans. If you don't care about noise , and plan to go with a monster 100+ cfm fan, like the Scythe 110cfm Slipstream then you will need to find a rad that is designed to work well with high cfm fans. On the other hand, if you are trying to keep things stealth, and want your WC system to be easy on the ears, then the quiter, low cfm fans will need a rad designed for that!

There really is a lot that goes into water cooling, I have only touched on the 2 major areas. But, there are quite a few of us water coolers here on OCC, and we are always more than willing to help :cheers:

thanks for the replies guys, ive been reading up on water cooling the past few days and i think im starting to get my head around it.

List of parts so far:

Rad - XSPC RX360

Pump - Laing D5

Res - XSPC Premium Acrylic for laing D5 pumps

gpu water blocks - EK-FC6990 Acetal + Nickel (instead of koolance)

Fans - CoolerMaster 120mm Excalibur x3

does that look alright?? im guessing now i just need 1/2 tubing, hose clamps and some fittings

Edited by seriousHUSTLE

Well now that you have got you components selected a food thing to do would be to take a picture of your case And route the loop before you order everything. This Way you will know where you need 90' connectors and stuff like that. Bitspower makess very food fittings and connectors. Also see if koolance make an slightly fitting for the cards as this will make the loop easier to manage.

Last but not least. When it is together make sure you have a good 24 hour leak test put in.

Looks like you are on the right track.

Boinker

The radiator will be mounted inside the case at the top, as you will be able to see in the picture. The V8 will be replaced with the Corsair H70 and ive only currently got the one 6990 in, i cant stand the noise of two of them lol.

img1054o.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Im thinking of putting the reservoir and the pump at the bottem, behind the powersupply to keep it out of the way. Im also not sure about this parallel vs series... which is better?

Im thinking of putting the reservoir and the pump at the bottem, behind the powersupply to keep it out of the way. Im also not sure about this parallel vs series... which is better?

Those are good sports for the gear. If you just cooling down the 2 cards with this setup its not gona matter much if you run parallel or series for cooling. Better is parallel as both cards are getting the same temp coolant supply vs one card getting "cold" water and feeding the other card the "hot" output water.